Author Topic: is there a complete kit for rear chevy springs somewhere out there?  (Read 2605 times)

907yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Hey all,
I just scored some rear 63" chevy springs... is there a complete kit that i can order for this swap? i saw a couple companies out there but none of them seem complete w/ everything you might need...which brings me to my next ?... can anyone put a list together with everything i need for the swap.... please and thankyou
P/s
ive never done this before just helped a buddy install marlins rear kit w 4" springs

907yota
86 reg cab turbo,99runner,95pickup all 4x4
09 honda rincon 680cc 4x4
2000 yamaha badger 80cc (for the kids)
Chicken nutt bread!!!

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer

OldGold3VZE

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 417
  • Member since Feb '08
  • Run whatcha brung, and have some fun!
    • View Profile
    • Light Racing, High Performance Bump Stops
Sky manufacturing makes one, but this "kit" can be made easily at home with a foot of 3.5" x 3.5" .250" wall square tube and an angle grinder and a drill press.  Cut the square diagonally with your angle grinder leaving a 2-3" flat spot on either end, then slice off the bottom, and drill holes.  It's really easy.  If you don't have shackles, just cut up some 3/8" x 2" strip steel and drill holes.  It's an afternoon job if you're motivated.  I think I have some pics in my build thread.
My 1980 Long Bed build thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=84562.0

Truggy build thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89844.0

Rastafari Livity!  Ital = Vital!

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
thanks guys, i searched but thought maybe somone would know of a specific company that would have a complete kit with everything needed...peterbuilts thanks for the search those never came up when i did it
Chicken nutt bread!!!

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
thanks cheesemaker

I just scored these 63's for 20 bucks there a little rough but not pitted or anything.... the bushings look like their not coming out without a fight, is there an easy/better way to remove these without breaking out a torch? 
Chicken nutt bread!!!

OldGold3VZE

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 417
  • Member since Feb '08
  • Run whatcha brung, and have some fun!
    • View Profile
    • Light Racing, High Performance Bump Stops

Is there an easy/better way to remove these without breaking out a torch? 

Nope

My 1980 Long Bed build thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=84562.0

Truggy build thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89844.0

Rastafari Livity!  Ital = Vital!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
is there an easy/better way to remove these without breaking out a torch? 

I use a hole saw just bigger than the inner metal sleeve to cut through the rubber. Then with an air hammer, you can knock out the shell from the spring eye using a chisel bit while running it along the spring eye's groove (where the end of the leaf wraps back around and contacts the spring again).

When you go to install it, I use a long piece of all thread (preferrably as big as will fit through the new bushing) with some large washers (or a metal plate that spans the spring eye opening) against the spring eye opening and a socket that fits over the edge of the rubber of the new bushing and contacting the metal shell of the bushing with nuts at both ends of the  all thread and just run it down. The new buishing will slide right in and it"s self aligning as you go. Use a little anti-seize on the shell of the new bushing too. Hope that helps.  :beerchug:

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
  I use a hole saw just bigger than the inner metal sleeve to cut through the rubber. Then with an air hammer, you can knock out the shell from the spring eye using a chisel bit while running it along the spring eye's groove (where the end of the leaf wraps back around and contacts the spring again).

When you go to install it, I use a long piece of all thread (preferrably as big as will fit through the new bushing) with some large washers (or a metal plate that spans the spring eye opening) against the spring eye opening and a socket that fits over the edge of the rubber of the new bushing and contacting the metal shell of the bushing with nuts at both ends of the  all thread and just run it down. The new buishing will slide right in and it"s self aligning as you go. Use a little anti-seize on the shell of the new bushing too. Hope that helps.  :beerchug:

thanks fordh8r,
i was told to just use a torch and burn um out, but your way sound easier on the springs...ive been collecting these parts for some time now but still have a ways to go...cant find anything in my little town, craigslist has been my freind..should i rebuild these with new slipper sleeves or just leave the stock ones in there after i paint them
Chicken nutt bread!!!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
thanks fordh8r,
i was told to just use a torch and burn um out, but your way sound easier on the springs...ive been collecting these parts for some time now but still have a ways to go...cant find anything in my little town, craigslist has been my freind..should i rebuild these with new slipper sleeves or just leave the stock ones in there after i paint them

Right, I've never been a fan of putting flames to springs myself.  :nope:  Even if the flame is concetrated on just the bushing. Plus, that :pokinit: STINKS forever!  :ack:  I discovered this method when I was a broke  :moon: , I never had a torch available to me, so I used what I had and it seemed to work nicely. Sometimes you have to come from both sides with the hole saw to get it out completely but it will come out.  It's still a little stinky but not nearly as much.  :gap:

I had a buddy whose poorly routed exhaust had burned his bushing away and we were able to change his out while on the truck in about 15 minutes. But not before he had his exhaust rerouted as to the cause for changing the bushing in the first place. Granted, the rubber was already gone at that point, but that just saved us one step.  :thumbs:

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Not sure if you have access to a press, but that would probably work pretty good.

85runner_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I just left the bushings in. Mine weren't that bad. The hole saw idea seams legit