Author Topic: speaker placement in 86 standard cab  (Read 3115 times)

deepsouth

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
speaker placement in 86 standard cab
« on: Aug 13, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
  If this is the wrong spot i apologize,yall can move. Trying to get some tunes in the truck.Where are good places to install speakers.I have 2 6x9s and 2 6in 3 way round,looking for ideas.I know i can put the 6x9s in boxes and put them behind the seats,but what did yall do with the 6in round ones. Dont really want to cut holes in the door and i figure if mounted in the kick panel position they will get ruined.I 'm not looking for anything elaborate. I'm putting some 4in in the stock mount positions.I would like something that I can hear decently with the windows down.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: speaker placement in 86 standard cab
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »
I agree on the door location being inconvenient but I haven't found anything that sounds better than 6x9s in the doors myself...

I have ran them in two trucks and while I do brush up against the grills with my boot every once in a while they seem to be surviving just fine.

A bit of extra undercoating on the inside of the doors and they act just like a ported box.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »
I picked up a couple 3x5's and mounted them to the cover of the front speakers and 2 6x9's in boxes in the rear. I will be placing a couple small speakers in the doors, a couple 6x9's in the pockets on each side of the rear seats and a couple subs in the access covers in the back.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Jdlucasjr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Jun '10
  • LIVE.LOVE.LAUGH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »
Here is a good idea it is a 1st gen so cab is a little different but if i had a stnd cab this is what i would do http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40661.270;msg=973218

seems like you could fit some 5/7s in his, not sure how much bigger the 2nd gen cabs are but maybe your 6/9s or 6s in there and the 6/9 in a box with the 4s in the dash? in my runner because i am a huge stereo junky i plan on throwing a set of 3 way components up front 4" mid range in the factory spot mounting the tweeter in the a pillar, and putting the driver in the door with a quick disco in the kick for when doors are off.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »
In my 87, I have some decent 4" two way with filters in the factory dash holes.  And some "old" first gen MTX 8" boxes, with upgraded Series 1 Fosgate speakers behind the seat, ran off a Kenwood tape deck.  (laugh it up, it works)   And it sounds good.  I just would like to find a small two way amp to push them a little more.  But overall they sound good.  I hate door mounted speakers, cause the grills always get munched.  My 91 I have, the POS used 3" thick wood spacers to put speakers in the door, and it looks like  :toilet:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »
I have a first gen, but I mounted mine behind the seat like in the build thread, essentially behind the seat belt, I used 6x9 as well, works awesome. The magnet is pretty damn close to the sheet metal for the outside of the truck, but it sounds awesome, I,also installed a small amp and a 6 inch sub behind the passenger seat....it's sweet and simple. My dad also once mounted speakers near the floor in a first gen close to where the door hinges are located, near the comp.