Author Topic: alternators keep going out... need help  (Read 3980 times)

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
alternators keep going out... need help
« on: Feb 28, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »
ive gone through two alternators in about three weeks. i was wondering if anyone has a sollution. thanks
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: alternators keep going out... need help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2005, 05:24:28 PM »
Check all your wires to make sure not chaffed and shorting out  Battery cables tight & clean   Lynn

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2005, 05:28:23 PM »
Check all your wires to make sure not chaffed and shorting out Battery cables tight & clean Lynn

yeah i did that, it all looks good. i have a 1500 watt stereo, so i was wondering if there is a higher amp alternator. i think that might solve it but i dont know. id apprectiate eveyones input. thanks
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2005, 05:30:31 PM »
stop putting in autozone/pepboys/napa reman alternators.  They are all junk.  I take them out of customers vehicles at work every day.  Go to your local dealership and buy a genuine Toyota Reman alternator.  Should run you around $125 and wont give you any more problems.

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Wahoos 85

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 64
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2005, 09:33:41 PM »
     Gone thru several cheapie's myself. Overcharging all of them. Stealership's here in Oklahoma City want 179.00 plus a core!!  :-\\
85 x-tra cab, 3in. lift, 2 in body lift, Doug Thorley header, 31x10.50 Mud Rover's for now.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:12:48 AM »
Have you changed out the external voltage regulator?
"between projects"

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:56:23 AM »
dude, 1500watts,  i would run a toy alt in the stock location,  and run a chevy 1 wire 100 amp on the pass side using a airpump bracket from a celica,  use a relay switch to turn it on and off haveing a seperate battery so its a completely seperate system from the truck,  run you stereo and offroad lights and winch off this system so you nevber have toi worry if your trucks system is good to start the engine
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:55:05 PM »
Have you changed out the external voltage regulator?

where is it, and what is it. thanks

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:57:46 PM »
dude, 1500watts, i would run a toy alt in the stock location, and run a chevy 1 wire 100 amp on the pass side using a airpump bracket from a celica, use a relay switch to turn it on and off haveing a seperate battery so its a completely seperate system from the truck, run you stereo and offroad lights and winch off this system so you nevber have toi worry if your trucks system is good to start the engine

how would i wire in the chevy alternator. id appreciate all the info on how to do this. thanks

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2005, 11:03:00 PM »
The voltage regualter is what regulates the amount of voltage it is perdusing back to your battery aka voltage regualter (regualtes votage!), i cant help ya on where it is located in your vehicle mine is built into my alt! i am not sure if that is your problem  or not but wold look into getting a new one! hey i got a 130 watt alt from my work (schucks) i ordered it wasnt a stocking one and ahve had NO problems with it so far!
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2005, 11:21:15 PM »
Since his truck is an 86 it would have an internal voltage regulator. The only trucks to my limited knowledge that had external were 79-81 for the 4x4's. I had this same problem and it was the alternator quality, like the others said, get a genuine unit, in fact. Better off getting genuine toyota everything for your truck, you really get what you pay for when it comes to parts. That stereo must be dimming your headlights! If so i would run a capacitor, or larger battery if possible, or else you will keep killing the low quality alts with that much current pull. Even the stock would have a hard time with its small output (guessing around 45 amps for the runner)  I installed I cs-144 gm alternator from a buick roadmaster. I had to swap the pulley which is quite simple. This may not be an option for you but I yanked my dead a/c compressor and used the bracket to mount the new gm unit.Rumor has it you can fit a big case gm alt in the stock location with some ninja-tuity, but I would recommend you upgrade your stock wiring to handle the x2 increase in current to the battery. If all of this sounds too intimidating to you, you can do like I did and have an electrical shop do the conversion, I had an external regulator and I am colorblind so I had issues   :haha:    :yupyup:   eiether way it can be done and I highly recommend it. My output is now 145 amps at idle, much more than necessary for my needs, but I also have a 11000 lb winch going in soon.  Hope this helps!
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2005, 11:32:27 PM »
how much does it cost to have an electrical shop do it

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2005, 11:43:09 PM »
I was afraid you would ask that! I mounted the alternator myself, it took some calling around because some shops around here (palmdale CA) had no idea how to go about it, which is sad considering its not that difficult in hind sight. I paid $180 bucks to have ot all wired up, but the guy did a great job, I told him what I do with the truck and I need it to be reliable etc... so he ran a lincloln town car harness to handle the extra output. This does sound rather high but I didnt mind since i knew it was done right. But that cost is only wiring it up, not installing a different alternator. Man im long winded tonight sorry

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »
I was afraid you would ask that! I mounted the alternator myself, it took some calling around because some shops around here (palmdale CA) had no idea how to go about it, which is sad considering its not that difficult in hind sight. I paid $180 bucks to have ot all wired up, but the guy did a great job, I told him what I do with the truck and I need it to be reliable etc... so he ran a lincloln town car harness to handle the extra output. This does sound rather high but I didnt mind since i knew it was done right. But that cost is only wiring it up, not installing a different alternator. Man im long winded tonight sorry

thanks, ill see if theres anyone around here that will be able to do something like that

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:25:43 AM »
oh yeah, definaltey call around! I had quotes ranging from 60 an hour to "oh that will be around 300 bucks"  Half of the guys I spoke couldnt understand why I wanted to convert etc.... I was going to mess with the idea of dual alts using a ford powerstroke harness (some of those run dual alts I guess)  but the cost outweighed the benefits, as far as the mounting, just mess around with the stock bracket, i had to shave some material off of my alt (making the core junk if this one ever fails) to make it fit properly. Probably more info than you want but when i was doing this I was completley lost! Lots of trial and error     :usa:

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:31:17 AM »
thanks

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:39:03 AM »
stop putting in autozone/pepboys/napa reman alternators. They are all junk. I take them out of customers vehicles at work every day. Go to your local dealership and buy a genuine Toyota Reman alternator. Should run you around $125 and wont give you any more problems. Ryan
Thats exactly what I was thinking :slap:

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:53:43 AM »
i went and got one from toyota, but i would really like to do the double alternator thing if someone could give me pointers on how to do it.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2005, 04:35:02 PM »
first you need to find the alt your going to use,   the one wire alts are easy,  but you should use a relay, so you can turn it off if nesseccary,  ,  you will need to mount another battery and simply run the heavy wire to that battery, when you start your truck it charges, and thay have internal regulators so no worries with that, then run your hot wire from your stereo to the 2nd battery, with a fuse of course
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2005, 11:16:14 PM »
Ok, nobody else is gonna say it so I will, though I may be wrong.  The older trucks had multiple alternator options and using the wrong one can fry your wires, I did mine 3 times.  Make absolutely sure you are using the proper alternator before you fry another one, then check all alternator related wiring.  When I had problems I took my truck to a local auto electric shop to have him check out my wiring fix and charging system and he said I fixed it, it was money well spent on piece of mind, and it's been almost 2 years now.  I'm no help on the dual alt setup though, I just planned on running a battery isolator and a second battery for accessories so the start batt never got drained.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86 4runner [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2005, 01:37:03 AM »
first you need to find the alt your going to use, the one wire alts are easy, but you should use a relay, so you can turn it off if nesseccary, , you will need to mount another battery and simply run the heavy wire to that battery, when you start your truck it charges, and thay have internal regulators so no worries with that, then run your hot wire from your stereo to the 2nd battery, with a fuse of course

what is the best one to use, and how do i mount it. thanks