Author Topic: Steering pump question?  (Read 1891 times)

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
Steering pump question?
« on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
Will a high volume steering pump like the PSC pump or Trail queer pump help steer a little easier untill i get the full hydro assist setup? Or should i just wait till i get the whole kit? Anybody know?
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: Steering pump question?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
Wait til you get the kit. Bumping up pressure without a ram assist isn't going to help you any. Your still going to get all the bump steer.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

sweetmeat [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
its not the bump steer I'm worried about, just wondering if it would steer a little easier. But your probably right I should just wait to get the kit. But if I go hydro assist I mine aswell get 6 shooters and so on and so on. Guess I'm just trying to go the cheap rout for now and just run a better pump
Wrecked4x4.com

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
I'm running stock 4 stud knuckles with marlin arms, hydro assist, and 40s. I keep everything torqued and it's been running good so far. I don't think 6 shooters are necessary right off the bat. I've been running my setup for over 3years now on factory knuckle studs too with no issues. And I would say I drive my truck easy either.

Running a higher pressure pump with factory steering isn't going to benefit you.  Actually still running the factory pump.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
im play with the cheap route going on 1 month.  just an assit with a radiator cooler, stock pump and reservoir.  i do notice a difference when your lock but with the stock reservior there is not enough fluid to push the assist so there is a little delay or reaction time when turning but heck yeah full lock up front with one hand turning the steering wheel and the other doing ..... what ever you want to do..up to you.... and there is no need for six goners.

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »
Running a higher pressure pump with factory steering isn't going to benefit you.  Actually still running the factory pump.

X2  only works if you have assist or hydro...if you want to go little at a time then go head but i rather get it all together.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »
I am going to be the spoiler on this. Couple of years back while wheeling JV, my assist cylinder took a dump on me. I took it off and plugged the box. With stock power steering and a PSC pump I would say the stock PS performed about twenty five percent better then it did with the stock pump, this was with the ARB turned on or off.

So in my opinion, yes your steering will work better with a high output, high pressure pump.

If you have ever wheeled Johnson Valley (Hammers) you know you need all the help you can get.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

sweetmeat [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
I am going to be the spoiler on this. Couple of years back while wheeling JV, my assist cylinder took a dump on me. I took it off and plugged the box. With stock power steering and a PSC pump I would say the stock PS performed about twenty five percent better then it did with the stock pump, this was with the ARB turned on or off.

So in my opinion, yes your steering will work better with a high output, high pressure pump.

If you have ever wheeled Johnson Valley (Hammers) you know you need all the help you can get.

I was thinking the same thing. Higher pressure should result in better steering. Eventually I'm gonna get the whole setup but in the mean to
e I think I'm gonna just run a high pressure pump and see what happens. its a buggy anyway if it breaks something no big deal
Wrecked4x4.com