Author Topic: rear axle mods  (Read 1786 times)

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
rear axle mods
« on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
High Clearance axle kit installed from Roger (4crawler) or a tg rear housing? Am leaning towards the 4crawler way, because of the problems I have read about the rear housings leaking oil, and having to grind the 3rd member to fit

Any other advice to stay away or not to, post it
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

stihlmohawk

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '10
  • WHAT?
    • View Profile
Re: rear axle mods
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
According to the t.g. website they have fixed the issues ...
.....If you loose in life its because you lag.....

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »
Well one is $60 and the other is $450. I don't know if money is a factor in your choice, but if so the choice is pretty obvious. The tg housing is a lot stronger than a stock housing though.

REG535 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »
I saw they said they did. But, I want to know more, I remember a couple of people running them on this board, one said he wouldnt ever get it again and bent eaisly etc.

Anyhow. They do look stronger, but money plays a role, and for me $60 is the route for me. But I never learned how to weld good enough to do this. So it will cost some more for to be put on. Plus, if i did get the tg housing i would have get ifs axles and brakes to go with it. Which is more money. eh.

84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
I have been running the TG housing for a couple of years with no problems as far as leaks or anything else for that matter. As far as grinding the bottom lip, I did that with an 80 grit flap wheel after it was in the truck, took about two miniutes.

There is also another option out there, Ruffstuff also make a housing and can be made any width you want it. All you have to do is tell Dan what you want.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TOY8.html
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2012, 08:07:58 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

REG535 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
Thanks OOPs for the info, I am still on the fence about my decision, I talked to Dan before hes a cool guy, but that is a heavy axle 100lbs, is the TG housing lighter i thought, and the toy stock is lighter then both.
I thought about ruffstuff or diamond, the weight seems to be a factor, and a diamond costs a pretty penny.

I think you mentioned somewhere that giving cleanrce to a stock toy axle was not worth the hours etc. Maybe i shouldn't worry about the weight, and just get the ruffstuff. I dont know, we'll see.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
The weight's down low so I wouldn't worry about that to much.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Aftermarket housing are going to weigh more plain and simple. They are also made from much stronger material.

REG535 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Thanks for the help. Yea I probably shouldn't worry about it, and just a get a stronger housing. I think Ruffstuff is a close choice right now. I dont feel like wasting time adding armor or clearancing a stock axle.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
Heavier un-sprung is not bad except in high speed. The heavier will make it not as tippy.

"I thought about ruffstuff or diamond, the weight seems to be a factor, and a diamond costs a pretty penny."

Diamond housings are pricey but there is a reason. Brian has put a lot into them and is constantly improving them. One feature I like about them is the dual axle seals.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

REG535 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone and OOPs. Yes, I like the dual axle seals as well. I think for now I might as well save until I have enough for a Diamond. The feautures of the Diamond make it seem better then Ruffstuff for only 250 more.

As for now till I get enough saved up for the Diamond, am just going to run stock rear axle, put some sky armor on it or marlins, u-bolt flip kit from front range, and sky's rear shock mount. So then I can have some money to still had a rear locker.

Has anyone tried a Nitro Ring and Pinon the HD series, they an upgrade that features 29 spline instead of 27. I want to get those in 4.56 flavor and an ARB or Zip. I will have to change the front also to 4.56. I think this ratio will be fine with a340h and 22re with 31-33'' tires. Thx, or stick with Yukon gears?
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2012, 09:11:40 PM by ToxicYoat »