Author Topic: Small 90 degree coolant pipe from throttle body to intake manifold  (Read 5318 times)

dylan_doomsday

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
So there I was, enjoying my fresh new center bearing on the way back from picking up a tube of grease, when about 3/4 of a mile from home, the sweet smell of coolant began rising from my fresh, 6.2 mile long block.  I figured a hose had settled into place and was peeing just a little bit, but I opened the hood to find a small 90 degree fitting had popped out of the intake manifold.  It sits right next to the thermostat housing, and runs into the throttle body via a small hose. It's unthreaded, and SHOULD just press into place, but it pulls right out on my truck.

So, how do I get this little guy to stay in?
1985 Toyota Xtra Cab SR5, 22RE

I have pictures pointing it out, but I don't have enough posts for attachments yet, so I can email them if necessary.

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Can you pick up a barb fitting with threads at the hardware store, thread the hole in put that in?  Otherwise I would JB weld it but I would be partial to threading it.

dylan_doomsday [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
I suppose I may be able to thread it, but my only concern would be getting the metal shavings out of that coolant passage.  Do you think if I changed out the (six day old) coolant I have in there now, they would all wash out?  I guess I could fill it with water a few times and leave the drain thingy opened.  I just hate to see the metal shavings wreak havoc on a brand new long block, you know?

The pictures linked below show the fitting I'm talking about.  The green arrows point to the fitting, and the blue arrow in the last picture shows where it leads to the throttle body.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/pdilly1982/Toyota%20Stuff/4267986e.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/pdilly1982/Toyota%20Stuff/fd7b3674.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/pdilly1982/Toyota%20Stuff/b03a1387.jpg

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
If thats the case throw on a different intake?

dylan_doomsday [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
If thats the case throw on a different intake?

I don't think I'm ready to give up and shell out that much money THAT quickly... Anybody ever heard of "retaining compounds"?  Apparently they use them to lock cylindrical press-fit assemblies together.  Loctite makes some, as does Permatex.  The only thing I HAVEN'T found about them is what type of local store I'd need to go to find some.  Auto parts stores don't seem to carry it, nor do hardware stores.  Think I might call up a motorcycle shop tomorrow.  Seems like it would make sense for them to have some, when they change sprockets and such.  If not, looks like I'll be waiting for a shipment yet again...

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Shoot if you were closer my buddy had a couple extra intakes laying around.

Pretty sure ive seen sleeve retaining compound at my local napa.  I dont know how well it would work though.

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I would thread it. Just put grease on the tap to catch the chips.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

dylan_doomsday [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
Well, I was able to get Permatex Sleeve Retainer ordered through my local O'Reilly.  After cleaning up the mating surfaces this morning, I applied it and set the fitting in place.  Then I set about tightening shackle bolts, and greasing all the fittings on my truck.  This all took about an hour, and by the time I was done, the fitting wouldn't budge with medium hand pressure.  Total cure time for the sleeve retainer is 24 hours, so it should be good tomorrow morning, however, I decided to take advantage of my truck's decision to purge half of it's coolant, and install an Autometer Ultra-Lite water temp gauge.  The metric adapter for he sending unit will be here Wednesday afternoon, so after I install that, I'll top things up and start putting it through the paces to see how well my repair works.  If it happens to blow the fitting again, I'll be going the threaded route for sure.  Thanks everyone for your advice.