Author Topic: dual case newbie....  (Read 3129 times)

DRTYLUVN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
dual case newbie....
« on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »
sorry for askin such a newb question but i have an 85 sr5 w56a top shift tcase stock gearing and im doubling it with a top shift tcase out of a 81 pickup with 4.70

im thinkin of doin twin sticks in the back to save my armrest instead of having to cut a bigger whole to run the j-pattern to engage them but thats a whole different question

what i really need to know is how to use dual cases
i've never had/used one before so i dont want to damage it

such as how to run
2wd high
2wd low (if i go twin sticks)
4wd single
4wd double
etc..
i do alot of hunting and this is what the truck was built for so i might not be doubling it alot but will be using 4wd

any help is appreciated
again sorry for such a newb question

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: dual case newbie....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »
As long as the joining of the two cases is done correctly, you keep gear oil in the cases, and keep the rear drive shaft in good order, dual cases are as durable as the oem one.

Use:
2wd high
Front case in high, rear case in 2wd.

2wd low stock gears
Engaging front case w/stock gears, leaving rear case in 2wd high. 

2wd low 4.70 gears in 2wd low
Engage rear case in low,(as you can now with just the stock case), or if you add twin sticks, shift the rear case into low, leaving the 4wd side in 2wd location, and the front case in high.

4wd single:
4wd High-engage rear case into 4wd, same as you do now w/stock case, leaving the front case in high.

4wd Low stock gears:
Engage rear case into 4wd Hi and front case into low.

4wd Low 4.70 gears:
Engage rear case into low, leaving front case in High

4wd Double low, engage both front case and rear case into low.

Once you get out and have a chance to play with them, you will find out what combo works best for you.

If the twin sticks wont allow for you to retain your arm rest, you can still keep it w/a little fab work.

Wanting to have usable space between my shifters for switches, I extended the front case  shifter so that  it would sit next to the rear case shifter.
Extension

Installed

You could do something similar in reverse with the rear case shifter sitting up with the front case along w/a short throw shifter kit to reduce the movement that the shifter needs to engage the rear case.  I have a 2" body lift on my '91, so I had room to run the extension under the the cab, leaving the trans hump intact, you might have to cut out the sheet metal between the two shifters, or run the extension across the sheet metal.

There is also a triple stick option(when both cases are top shift cases) that doesn't cost that much more than twin sticks,
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=976944
Same product now w/own website
http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

DRTYLUVN [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
 you just made my day!!!!
thanks so much for the help

i like your idea on modding the second stick but i dont have a body lift so the best bet is to go twin sticks
eyeballin it, it looks like it will come out just in front of the arm rest so it would be perfect to just shift the sticks forward and back than to do a "j" pattern

i dont use the armrest for its purpose, i took the top off and bought a cheapy cupholder thing from walmart and cut it down to fit inside so i can have drinks and not worry about where to put it

thanks again i really appreciate it :beer:

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
You could always go with a triple shifter. It puts all the shifters in the stock location.

Dave'z Offroad Performance has them.

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/triple-shifter.html
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity