Author Topic: Not enough oil any ideas  (Read 3372 times)

daddeo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Not enough oil any ideas
« on: Feb 20, 2005, 12:17:47 PM »
I have a 85 yota while hillclimbing or steep rockclimbing the oil goes to the back of the oil pan and the motor starts to smoke then starts knocking I know the oil pump is in the front of the oil pan the oil level is full so do they have another type of oil pan or is there any way of fixing this I was told by one of my friends to take two oil pans cut them in half and use the ends with the humps and weld them together so the pan will hold 2 or 3 more quarts of oil or do they make another type of oil pump the motor runs great except on steep inclines any ideas  :headscratch:  :headscratch:  :hammerhead:
85yota truck 36inch iroks on 15x10allied beadlocks 5.29s front&rear front d.locker rearwelded all pros 56 springs in rear skyjacker springs in front all pros hysteer crossover marlin dual cases soon and exo cage

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Not enough oil any ideas
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2005, 02:17:14 PM »
find a 79 or 80 model with 20R  the sump is in the rear,  instead of the middle
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
the pump is on the front but the oil sump is in the rear, actually it should be in all solid axle trucks
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2005, 02:22:58 PM »
yeah, hes right.  as long as you have a 4x4 pan, its a rear sump.  2x4s and celicas had the middle sump.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:32:45 AM »
Your pcv valve is sucking in oil from the valve cover..Thats the reason for the smoke..As for the knock who know but I doubt its because of the oil in the pan,,unless your pick-up screen in somewhat blocked...It could have somthing to do with the oil being injested from the valve cover..I have yet to find a cure for this..I tried everything,,differnts pcv valve,gasget under the sling cover..I just got to the point where I dissconect the pcv valve while wheeling and plug the vac line..Mine never knocked though when taking in oil but i coud see it being a problem..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

daddeo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:35:54 PM »
My sump is in the rear and thats what I was trying to say climbing up something the oil is all going to the sump not leaving any oil for the oil pump making the motor knock I never heard of the pvc valve doing that but I will try that thanks for the info
85yota truck 36inch iroks on 15x10allied beadlocks 5.29s front&rear front d.locker rearwelded all pros 56 springs in rear skyjacker springs in front all pros hysteer crossover marlin dual cases soon and exo cage

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:58:47 PM »
     The pump is at the front of the engine but the pick up tube for the pump is in the sump at the rear of the engine.
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

daddeo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2005, 04:41:19 PM »
I did not know that so thanks for the info but know I am really lost  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2005, 05:21:32 PM »
maybe its a bad pump  u should put on an oil pressure gage
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2005, 05:23:32 PM »
     The oil pump is bolted to the front of the engine( right behind the crank pully, it has the timming marks on it) there is passage way machined in the block where it bolts on at.  The holes machined into the block go through to the other side, where there is a tube    (can't remember if it bolted ot welded on) that goes all the way back to the sump and that is where it gets all the oil from.  Most automotive engines are designed this way.  I dont think any one puts the pump in the sump, because they are usually ran off a gear from the crank or cam, so they run a tube to the oil supply or sump.

Hope this helps.
Joe
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2005, 07:38:46 PM »
I agree, you definately want to have an oil pressure gauge even if it is only a stock one.  It's not hard to hook up since all the wiring should already be there in the harness, you just switch out the oil press sender on the block and get some junkyard gauges from an sr5 or something.  Keep an eye on the gauge and if it is gettin real low I would suspect the pump.  Another thing you can do to cheat is run 20/50 to keep your pressure as high as possible till you can do the repairs. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2005, 10:02:26 AM »
When I lived in Phoenix I ran 20/50 all the time, but when I moved back to Colorado I didn't change my oil right a way, and man I thought my engine was going to blow when the temp out side was only 12* out side,  20/50 is like molasas(spelling)  so I changed it to 10/40  Huge difference.

daddeo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2005, 04:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the ideas my truck is a sr5 so it has a gauge I will try running the 20/50 oil since the oil needs changed and see what that does once again thanks I need all the ideas I can get :yupyup:  :yupyup:  :yupyup:

daddeo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:33:25 AM »
changed oil and put 20/50 plus running it one quart over full I beleive it helped went wheeling over weekend had no problems

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:34:47 AM »
ya i run 20w50 to, GTX  its the best cheep :pokinit:
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2005, 11:06:17 AM »
You could always build a windage tray and a crank scrapper to keep the oil down in the pan.

Just as an FYI, For wheeling situations, if you have a Crawler (ie. lower rpms & lower engine loads) then engines can operate normally for breif time intervals with as little as 4 psi of oil pressure.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki