Author Topic: Old Man Emu  (Read 40366 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Old Man Emu
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
It's front or 3 selections for rear (5  5.5  6)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

JCook5003 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
Clearly I'm an idiot but if you select a length it says you must select a type, the only type is a front.....this is comical at this point.    :greengrin:

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
Let BigMike know........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

scheefdog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
Front and rear are different. The front comes with spacers and longer bolts because the frame is wider. I'm sure if you call Marlin has them, or look at allpros website. 

OldGold3VZE- Have you actually run the longer springs on a 1st gen or seen it done? I'd like to see a pic to look at the arch of the spring and how the shackle angle works out. (because if its good I'd swap mine out)
1979 RN37 (sold), 02 Tundra, 88 XtraCab 3.4 swapped

robert.levi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »
Is anyone running an adjustable draglink or custom pitman arm to make the steering happen?

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Is anyone running an adjustable draglink or custom pitman arm to make the steering happen?

I have run both.  On my 1984 with OME medium springs in the front, I ran an aftermarket, adjustable, drop draglink.  It worked fine.  On my 1980 with OME heavy springs in the front I ran stock steering components; also, it was no problem.  Is there bump steer?  Yes.  I have a feeling I am not as sensitive with a lot of this stuff as others though.

I am contemplating a change to an IFS steering box and using an Aqualu arm I have had tucked away for a while.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
I replaced my worn out rears up front with OME front springs CS009FA/B I also used their Greasable shackles (3.5"). to keep the axle in the position it was i had to redrill the spring pad about 2". The truck also has a 3/4" drop hanger moved 3/4" forward. I am running High Steer that is installed with a low ride height in mind.

:eyebrow:

What I took away from this/ what makes me happy.

Drilling the new center pin hole got me a fresh new non ovaled center pin holes.
Higher front spring rate feels really nice. still want to lower the rear rate (all pro 3" tacoma springs will be going in)
OME shackles blow the regular shackles with the 18mm bolts out of the water. I can torque them down TIGHT now. they are much more rigid.
When i Break a spring I don't have mismatch another spring together. Just buy a new one.
shorter stiffer springs that are less prone to axle wrap yet still flex well.

The only thing I don't like about the springs is the spring clamps. They don't hold the leaves tightly and there are none on the front half of the springs.

My truck drives better than my friends 2010 JK. Everything is tight and stiff. It feels like its stock driving down the road.

snowwalker

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »
What is your front spring eye to center pin measurement? I'm tired of building leaf packs from 200,000 mile leafs. LOL I keep bendine the pass side pack. I did a sos swap on my '86 4Runner and want to make sure I won't move my front end back any more. With 42's I can't affored any fire wall clearence issues. Also what is the total lenth of the springs? Thanks.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
They are basically stock dimensions. 45" eye to eye. 22.5 eye to eye both sides.  I did this mostly to keep the truck LOW. you can see the shackle is almost vertical at ride height. the springs hit the frame before the shackle inverts and cant compress far enough for it to hit the frame on compression.

All-Pro springs would be 21.5 or so to the front eye. they are a bit longer than these overall (more like a stock rear) and you will have a bit more lift for 42's if you redrilled the center pin holes in your spring perches and u-bolt plate it would be further forward than mine.

snowwalker

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 27, 2013, 11:57:31 PM »
I moved my front hanger 1 1/2ish forward and my shackle mounts are about a half an inch further back than yours. My last set of new springs were the allpoops and saged out fast. I now have first gen 4runner '86 springs(my second pair) and just want some fresh new ones. They mesure 20 1/2 from front eyelet to center pin and about 47.5 total lenth. The mesurements on the 4x4conection for the same year say the rears are 43' total witch is way off. I just want to make sure the rears will fit my needs.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #40 on: Aug 28, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
The rear old man emu's (CS009R & CS010R) are 43" eye-to-eye with the springs unloaded or 48" following the curve of the top leaf.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 28, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
I replaced my worn out rears up front with OME front springs CS009FA/B I also used their Greasable shackles (3.5").

What bushings do these springs use? Can you use the stock size bushings? Truck looks Good! :biggthumpup:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

SNOW WALKER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 172
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 28, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
The rear old man emu's (CS009R & CS010R) are 43" eye-to-eye with the springs unloaded or 48" following the curve of the top leaf.

Cool thanks, that's what I needed to know. I think these will be the next springs I buy.
1986 4Runner turbo sas high pinion,E-locked 4:88's,taco rear Detroit locker,22ret forged everything,
duels mc07-r10 cut 42's.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
What is your front spring eye to center pin measurement? I'm tired of building leaf packs from 200,000 mile leafs. LOL I keep bendine the pass side pack. I did a sos swap on my '86 4Runner and want to make sure I won't move my front end back any more. With 42's I can't affored any fire wall clearence issues. Also what is the total lenth of the springs? Thanks.

I used fronts which are 45".  I am going to use All-pro tacoma rear springs.

Rears are stock length. so they are actually 47-48" when flat. They will have a TON of free arch though, and will come with overloads. be prepared to add extra leaves and remove the overloads.

What bushings do these springs use? Can you use the stock size bushings? Truck looks Good! :biggthumpup:

I used trail-gear bushings because I had them. you can use anything as they are the Stock size. keep in mind both ends of the rear springs will have the small eye.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
« Reply #44 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
Bringing back the dead here but does any one have pics of old man emu cs010r rears used as RUF?
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

carter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 26, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
Reviving this post because I haven't seen any others with as much specific info on using this combo of OME springs. I am planning to run the CS010Rs up front (plan to add a leaf), and the CS020Rs in the rear (will probably remove a leaf). I'll post up pics and info on this swap as I go.

OldGold3VZE, if you happen to see this post, I have a question for you (or anyone else who knows): You mentioned that the 51" OME spring spring does not move the axle back much at all, that the extra length is in the rear half of the spring. I measure 22" flat from the front eye to pin on the CS020R, and the stock springs ('85 4Runner) are slightly over 20" in the front (20 1/8" to be exact).  I haven't mounted them yet, so I don't know what the lengths will be with weight on it.

At free arch, the distances are about 20.5" on the OME and 19.5" on the stockers... I guess since the stockers sit pretty close to flat, if the OME keeps its arch, then the distances may not be too far off. Just wondering if I need to move my hangers...

I have the rear shackles on order, so I'll post pics in a week or so once I get weight on it.

Thanks!
Mike

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2015, 02:15:32 PM by carter »
85 4Runner - Wheelin' Beast
99 4Runner - Daily Driver

Dwill817

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 26, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »
I used 3rd gen rears in the back for over a year. They were nice springs, but it took them forever to break in and flex and they still didn't flex month. I took them out about 2 weeks ago in favor of Chevy 63s.. I did have to move my shackle hanger back 2.5"  for them to work..

txlonghorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 17, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »
I also used the 3rd gen truck OME springs in back of my 4runner. CS019R. Moved the hanger back a couple inches w/ a 5" shackle. Kept one overload and added two leaves from the OME 1st gen 4runner pack CS009R. Then used the top two leaves from the CS009R pack up front with three leaves from the OME CS008F. So far so good..

lvwilly

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:35:31 AM »
I need to check out different rear spring options, I have the rear springs on my '84 and they don't seem to have broken in at all.

Bane8186

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Jun '13
  • 505 Yotas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sep 08, 2016, 01:07:48 AM »
Hi guys,

I just installed the OME heavy duty on my front 1st gen. I don't have any additional weight up front besides the ol' 22R and the ride quality is great.

I am actually wanting to know if you guys can help me out, my driver side sits exactly 1 inch taller than my passenger side. I have seen some guys get sent two driver side springs on accident but I checked before install and I have an A and a B spring. A is for driver and B for passenger right? I could remove my spring pad on my driver side but that wouldn't account for the whole inch. Plus I would feel incomplete about the install if it was missing.

Thanks for any info
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2016, 09:24:45 AM by Bane8186 »
1981 pickup, rebuilt 22r, cam, Thorley headers, weber 38, 4.88 Yukons, 63" chevy swap

chambersranch

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
Old Man Emu
« Reply #50 on: Sep 08, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
Switch them around b on drivers side, a on passenger side.
My springs were A on drivers B on passenger.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Bane8186

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Jun '13
  • 505 Yotas
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sep 08, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »
Switch them around b on drivers side, a on passenger side.
My springs were A on drivers B on passenger.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, you think they were just labeled wrong?
1981 pickup, rebuilt 22r, cam, Thorley headers, weber 38, 4.88 Yukons, 63" chevy swap

arlindsay1992

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 13, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »
Aussies drive from the right side of the car. Maybe that weirdness carries over in their parts labeling?

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
Bringing back a golden oldie!
I'm gathering parts for an axle swap on a 86 4runner and am leaning towards the ome cs009/10 springs.

Who has ran em that is still around?
H8pvmnt I'd love to hear any updates/more info if you read this.
It's not going to be a crawler, just a dd/camping rig.
I was debating going with the old man emu 84-85 front springs (cs009fa/b) for a basic lift, but if I'm going to do the work of swapping the axle why not move it forward a little?
I have read way to many "only going to be on 33's" comments in threads like this so my thinking is to add a little extra in and not have to redo it later.

This was the top page on the Google search so if figured I'd bring it back up.  :beerchug:

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
I run OME springs all around on my '84. I probbaly have 20k or so miles on them and they are still a nice riding spring and have decent flex off road, the biggest down fall is if you buy their shocks and they limit the flex. I'm running 31's currently but I could've fit 35's with very little cutting of the front fenders but I also have a flatbed.

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »
 Its a 87 dd/camping rig. Cs009fb in front and 10's with the overloads taken out in the rear. A little trimming and 35's would fit nice.

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the pic. Nice looking rig!
With the springs you used the axle is in the stock location it looks like, right? Have they settled at all? I have a heavy bumper and winch up front and want to stay as low as possible. I'm thinking the rears would be a little longer, but not so arched so high steer might be a bit more work. I like how yours sits though, I have a 3" lift in the back already so it would be about level.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
If I remember I'll snap a picture of my truck, it has the heavies up front with homemade shackles and a 8274. I haven't notice them settle but they could have. I know my rears didn't from them.

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Mar 08, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
Thanks for the pic. Nice looking rig!
With the springs you used the axle is in the stock location it looks like, right? Have they settled at all? I have a heavy bumper and winch up front and want to stay as low as possible. I'm thinking the rears would be a little longer, but not so arched so high steer might be a bit more work. I like how yours sits though, I have a 3" lift in the back already so it would be about level.

Thanks.
Ya, the axles are in the stock location. They are the HD's so they didnt settled to bad, maybe a 1".  Rears up front would be a good idea if you dont wont your shackle straight up and down. Thats a old pic from when it was just SAS, will get a pic of it know with the bumper winch roof rack and role cage. That should give you a better idea of what a year later and a hundred or so extra pounds look like on the springs.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
Bringing back a golden oldie!
I'm gathering parts for an axle swap on a 86 4runner and am leaning towards the ome cs009/10 springs.

Who has ran em that is still around?
H8pvmnt I'd love to hear any updates/more info if you read this.
It's not going to be a crawler, just a dd/camping rig.
I was debating going with the old man emu 84-85 front springs (cs009fa/b) for a basic lift, but if I'm going to do the work of swapping the axle why not move it forward a little?
I have read way to many "only going to be on 33's" comments in threads like this so my thinking is to add a little extra in and not have to redo it later.

This was the top page on the Google search so if figured I'd bring it back up.  :beerchug:

My 4runner has the longer '89-'94 rear emus up front.   Over the years I have messed around with different sets of leaves and ended up with the top three emu and the bottom three or so of stock front packs.  I still love them, they ride good and flex great.  The only drawback I can see is that I had to mount fabed shackle hangers on the bottom of the frame rail. 

Not really a big deal but after setting up my boy's pickup with the shorter '84-'88 rears up front and putting the shackles in the stock location I think they (the shorter springs) are better.  You can also achieve a lower ride height which is good.

Nate (Hellipilot77) used regular front emus and re-drilled his perches.  This also works good.

My favorite at this time would be the '84-'89 rear emus but I would still work in the bottom three leaves of some stock front packs.  I noticed better handling, less dive and flatter springs when I did this.

For what it's worth, here is a photo of the 4runner with the longer '89-'94 rear emus.  This is about as low as I can get it...

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 02:48:46 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K