Author Topic: planning SAS  (Read 2632 times)

jared A

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
planning SAS
« on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:58:42 PM »
im getting closer and closer to finding an axle..have a few leads now. :biggthumpup:  im going to be buying marlins SAS kit and rear lift kit...(ALLOT OF MONEY FOR A 17 YEAR OLD :smack:  i dont know what im getting myself into :conf: ) now my question.... i dont have a welder (trying to find one i can afford) or a torch or a plasma cutter....so i was wondering if i could get the front hangers welded up and any other things im going to need to be welded also so i can park the runner on the side of the house and spend a few weeks with a grinder (or someone generous enough to help me with a torch) and cut it all off, than i could just bolt all the SAS stuff up? will that work? i have a guy that can do the welding but i dont want to leave the runner at his house for the entire SAS...let me know guys, thanks! and for dual cases do i jsut need another Tcase and an adapter from marlin and its all bolt on from there? i can get another Tcase for 100 bucks easy.....thanks

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: planning SAS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:23:31 PM »
welcom to the board jared. there is definetly some cutting and welding involved. The sas requires welding for sure. The cutting can be done with a sawsall for the most part, but it can be tough in some areas. A torch isn't as clean, but it's much faster. Where are you located?
As far as the dual case goes, it depends on the year and model (carb, efi, V6) of your truck.

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:43:41 PM »
i have an 86 4runner with EFI 5spd...i am in san jose, ca .....can i get the hangers all welded up BEFORE i remove the IFS so i dont have to worry about finding someone to come to my house to weld it up?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:51:02 PM »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:55:41 PM »
I've looked into this as well, and what I have been tols is that you can do have everything you need welded on, and still have the truck drivable as an IFS.  Then, when you get the time, and axle, you can bolt on all the stuff in a day, and cut off the IFS stuff.  Essentially, you can have a streetable IFS until you actually get to the point of putting the axle on :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:56:08 PM »
as far as the dual cases go i feel anyone can do it. the only thing that will stump u is the directions are for a forward shift tcase. so in the directions what it shows u to weld, you weld something different(if using a top shift). u need a press and all the tools listed. u nbuddy comes in handy and i bet u could have it done in a day. i was scared and got a hand from someone who had done it. we had 4 hours into it....good luck
Im an OG

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:12:02 PM »
ill take it...pm me your number!!!!!!

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2005, 05:47:15 PM »
sweet! i ordered the SAS kit and am going to pick it up next weekend, and im buying that guys axle!!!! :thumbs: