Author Topic: Feedback on Optima red top sealed, spiral core. battery(Poll)  (Read 9001 times)

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
I put in a red top last summer because the walmart 500cca just wasn't cutting it to run the winch, but otherwise was fine.  Optima works great ( the walmart cheapie wasn't bad) but I have noticed a HUGE improvement in the performance of my winch. :twocents:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
I can vouch for the yellow top, after running my high powered stereo system for hours at a time until my music started cutting out I managed to crank it over no problem. I did that dozens of times before the battery acted up. Luckily it was under warranty and I got a new one and have been runnig it for two years with the same stereo.
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i had a yellow top as a starting battery in my exploder, gave me many years of great service
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
I use red tops in my Toy and my 1 ton GMC, great batteries couldnt beat the price, (Sears on sale) but I have also heard alot of good things about Exide Orbitals too.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
I use red tops in my Toy and my 1 ton GMC, great batteries couldnt beat the price, (Sears on sale) but I have also heard alot of good things about Exide Orbitals too.

the exide orbitals suck... they are notorius for having bad cells, i am on my second one currently...... the first one i had died after a year and a half so i got a free replacement one
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
 i like the red optima a lot i have had great luck with them but the exide orbital is crap i had one and it it lasted 6 months and it crapped out
I need a running 22r

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
This post was started over 1 year ago and since then Have bought the red top, had it for a year, great battery.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
One of the 2 blues I have died, 5 yrs. old. Just replaced them with 2 Walmart specials for under 1/2 the price of 1 Optima. I figure even if they fail 1 day after the warranty I win the $ battle since I could almost buy 6 cheap batteries for the original cost of 2 blues.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2006, 07:03:32 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Yknow, if I had to buy a yellow top optima I'm not sure I wouldn't be able to afford it, but having a rich customer give you 3 sure helps out!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toynizzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 125
  • Member since Aug '05
  • wheel it till it breaks then fix and go again!!
    • View Profile
i was wondering how well it would do after its been just sitting for over a year,a friend of mine gave me a brand new one,aint had probs with mine so no need to put it in,its in my shed,on the wood floor,u all think it wil still work like new?
85 xtra cab pretty stock for now but lots of stuff to come!!

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
I think it would be good still.
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
They don't seem to mind sitting around for a while, so long as it was charged when you got it.  Mine have sat around for a year at a time or more without dropping even a full volt.  I've parked them with around 13 volts and when checked quite a while later they still had over 12.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Since this Post started. My Red top took a duump . Mostly due to bad terminals.  Had redone the ground when I got the Truck. The Pos. was one of those cheap replacement type . When I pulled it off the top post was cooked  Havn't checked the volts yet but without a good post why Try . Tried to get a new Optima at $ wheel Parts   Told me they were backordered  Napa sprial cell installed .

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Actual post coming out of battery top? Or post connector. I come to like the marine style post connectors with a stud on top they are the ticket for lots of connections directly to battery
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile

the exide orbitals suck... they are notorius for having bad cells, i am on my second one currently...... the first one i had died after a year and a half so i got a free replacement one

they all are or just yours? I know quite a few people that run them with nothing bad to say about them do you have anything to back your "they ALL" claim or are you just generalizing?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Man, I can back jim on this one bigtime.  We unfortunately use the orbitals at work and they drop like flies!  We have a $1,000 battery tester (why I don't know), and we checked all the orbitals I labeled bad this year at the end of the season.  I am essentially fully responsable for all our batteries, so there was no real chance of other people sneaking batteries in without me knowing what was giong on.  Every single one failed totally, along with 2 new ones off the shelf!  Some would charge up to 12 volts but couldn't hold a load.  They are really good at dropping a cell, dunno why but they do.  If your friends get away without problems with theirs I say  :crossed:  and good luck, but I wouldn't steal one.

And rockdiver, I saw in your thread you carry a load tester and one of those little compact jumper packs in your rig.  What'ya do for a living.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2006, 10:37:09 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
good to know Nate, good info to back it up. I almost went with the Exides, glad I chose Optima's

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well My optima just had a bad connection  and it slowly cooked the top post  i will Post a Pic tomorrow  I bought a napa gel cell because i was told by 4 wheel parts they were on backorder. I found a new Optima at Penners in reedley yesterday so now I have a new one in  and some fancy Monster cable ends . Hope this one Lasts.

Nate I carry a Bat Pack and tester for jump starts  I do some aaa calls  for a local tow company  Lockouts, Gas, jumpstarts, general Repairs, Pulling rookies out of the Snow and off road recoveries AAA normally doesnt cover as needed . As for profession  I am a Resort Manager   Lynn   and was told today have 2 dead napa gel cells wont hold charge but they are great no questions on returns.

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here is a Pic of the terminal on my Optima Truck would not charge or start  Charged and tested later holds good just nasty terminals

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
They take a lickin and keep on tickin.
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
That battery looks nasty!  We had a lot better luck with our optimas, but the company changes their mind all the time about what they wanna run, so even if something works really well one year that's no guarentee they'll stick with it. 
RIP KYOTA