Author Topic: IFS vs SOLID AXLE  (Read 16216 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: IFS vs SOLID AXLE
« Reply #60 on: Aug 17, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »
What's the cheapest that a SAS could be done if you have access to lathes, milling machines, band saws, etc. ?

:headscratch:   Watchu plan on doing, making your own springs?
You don't need all that fancy pants stuff, steel, cutoff wheels, welder, hand tools = golden!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

eddybaboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Aug 17, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »
I shoulda went SAS

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Aug 17, 2005, 11:59:36 PM »
Don't spend the money on the IFS LIFT!!! I spent 2500 on the IFS lift and on the body lift after evrything was said and done. I wish I would have ASSed it. OH I MEAN SASed it. Just sas it!!!
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Aug 19, 2005, 09:47:48 AM »
I drove and wheeled my 86 IFS for four years and it did great with 33" boggers and lockers... it was grat for the video and camera shots to get wheels in the air from no suspension flex...  but solid axle is the way to go...  they make a fine daily driver also if you do a quality job.. run some rs9000's for shocks and run them stiff and the road, then soft on the trails..  get some Goodyear MTR's because they are sweet for on and off road... you will be much happier with solid axle in the long run...  easier maintenance too.  just my  :twocents:   :thumbs:

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #64 on: Aug 19, 2005, 10:28:36 AM »

I agree with the majority of us that Solid axles are better for wheeling.  But I also want to give praise to the IFS system.  My friend brought home some video of a jeep run he went on, (It was actually aired on the Outdoor channel's Superlift off road adventures.) 

There was a IFS 4-runner that went every where the jeeps and buggy's went.  It was a trail somewhere by Mt. Vernon, WA.  Just something I thought I would sharewould share     
                                                                             :rockingout:Solid axle :rockingout:

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sep 14, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »
no comparison.IFS sucks.SAS works fine on the street.even with no sway bar.i'd cut that :pokinit: off again in a minute.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #67 on: Sep 14, 2005, 11:11:11 PM »
http://www.petitiononline.com/ifs/petition.html

Unfortunatly we who would want straight axles would be in the 1%er catagory Toyota sales are skyrocketing with thier IFS' leading the way why would they change a winning combo for a very small market?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Skim

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sep 20, 2005, 10:25:40 PM »
I have wheeled 2 IFS rigs over the last 10 years. The first was a 91 Toy truck and the second a 92 Runner. I learned on the 91 and refined what I learned on the 92 Runner. I went all over the place in the last 10 years, VA, WVA, Pennsylvania, Paragon, Tellico, Moab, Pismo, and various other places in So.Cal. All with a IFS rigs never anything bigger than 32" tires, no sway bars, strong bumpers, 1 rear locker, and the willingness to take a little body damage. I have had a total blast, the Runner did things I could not believe an IFS truck would do.

You just can't do everything an SAS truck does or at least you can't take the same line.

My point is you have to learn your truck and how to wheel. If you got an IFS truck then lock the rear and add some protection. Then go have a blast. You'll know when it is time to SAS your rig, until then save your money and just have fun.

I say this because I have just sold my 92 Runner and am starting to SAS my 3rd rig an 88 4Runner. I feel after 10 years of wheeling that I am now ready to take the next step. It is a learning curve.

I hate to see someone build an awesome rig and then go out and roll it because they have not "learned" the vehicle or how to wheel yet.

Be safe, wheel what you got, make small upgrades as you go, and plan on a strong foundation in the school of hard knocks !!!
85 Hilux Long Bed - For Sale