Author Topic: what paint to use?? auto paint??  (Read 15777 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what paint to use?? auto paint??
« on: Feb 12, 2005, 07:43:15 PM »
i was going to have macco paint it but id rather save the money!! i have all the equitment to paint it right but.... what paint to use?? i do actually wheel my car sooooo i aint lookin for the fancyst  paint.... is there auto paints that you dont have to lay a primer down ect.... what type of paint should i use?? im lookin for cheap but decent paint! andno i dont want to rattle can it!!! im useing no fancy coler... just toyota red... about how much should i expect to use on just the cab?? i decided to just do a flat bed!! soo if n e one wants a bobbed 13'' bed i got one for sale!! :wave: :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: what paint to use?? auto paint??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2005, 12:35:53 AM »
Rustoleum is really cheap and its rather durable.  I painted a sami for a buddy this last summer and its holding up really well.  I used rustoleum paint made for a boat so its even more durable than the standard stuff.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8529
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2005, 01:04:09 AM »
I used rustoleum white on the Tercel wagon. Came out pretty good. Took a long time to dry
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2005, 01:09:41 AM »
You didnt put any hardner in it did ya?

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:10:45 PM »
You didnt put any hardner in it did ya?

Try not putting hardner in polyurathane  :tantrum:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »
if you buy the paint it will cost more than maaco

Figure $200 min NOT including primer if you need it

I painted mine and I'll do it again - but not to save money..

The lower (cheaper) lines are nason for dupont and for ppg it is omni. You want a bc/cc or single stage? What kind of gun/compressor you runnin? A HF special is actually pretty good, tough to beat for the price.
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:14:30 AM »
Anyone use that Rustoleum Hammered metallic grey (they call it black) to paint their truck? I painted my front bumper with it and it looks awsome and is really touph paint and stays shinny no matter what. Im just not sure if thats the color i want to paint it.
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:45:16 AM »
I used it on some wheels, I agree - good stuff
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2005, 07:33:37 PM »
I agree with Brandon on the cost of paint.  Maaco would definately be cheaper than buying a decent automotive paint.  I painted my sister's '83 Cavalier myself, and all the primer, paint, clear, and thinner came to around $400!  Maaco could've done the job for around $300 or $350 or something, but the catch is, is that they use a real real cheap paint.  It peals and chips badly after just a few months.  The paint I got was the standard laquer based paint.  It's been 2 years, including 2 harsh winters, and there's no chips or big flakes pealin off.  Prior to painting the car for real, I sprayed it with Rustoleum spray cans.  The spray cans held up OK, but I bet they would hold up a lot better if you thinned it out and applied a few good coats with a spray gun.
Welders Hold the World Together!

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2005, 07:38:25 PM »
actually they use pretty good paint, they just don't prep or anything really. Generally they use nason which is made by dupont. Ask what kind of paint they use and get back to us :)

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2005, 10:53:03 PM »
I am painting my truck with a single stage '83 dark grey mettalic.  it is a sick ass color but i dont know how well itll hold up because i havent painted the whole thing yet, let alone driven it.  i have a quart of 81 toyota red and a pint of 92 toyota red if you are at all interested.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2005, 11:18:45 PM »
Single stage paint and you guys use DuPont.  Must be sorry centaury.  Good luck if it is.

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2005, 12:51:27 AM »
forget the paint idea guys but thanx... i ended up herculineing it!! people say it holds up like crap and some say its decent.... the inside of my truck had it in it for a lil over a year and it held up nice to all the abuse!!!.... i liked it at first but i really like it now!! i have been meaning to post some pics but i havent had time but ill try and post 2 nite!! :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2005, 03:30:12 PM »
When I went to the auto body supply shop, the guy there said that Maaco uses a cheap grade of paint.  He said they can do the job for little cash, but after a year or so, you run the risk of the paint pealing badly.  He told me they used a certain kind of paint (polyurethane maybe?) that didn't require color sanding.  It dries or hardens in a gloss finish so it requires minimal effort to get a nice shine, it might not even have to be buffed, not sure...
Welders Hold the World Together!

Spell check

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
Hey fellow’s no wonder you’re not getting anywhere with your auto paint problems, you’re using the wrong word to explain to the judge. The word is “peel” not “peal”, see below. But in any event good luck!!

Main Entry: 1peal 
1 a : the loud ringing of bells b : a complete set of changes on a given number of bells c : a set of bells tuned to the tones of the major scale for change ringing
2 : a loud sound or succession of sounds <peals of laughter>

Main Entry: 1peel 
1 : to strip off an outer layer of <peel an orange>
2 : to remove by stripping <peel the label off the can>
1 a : to come off in sheets or scales b : to lose an outer layer (as of skin) <his face is peeling>
2 : to take off one's clothes
3 : to break away from a group or formation -- often used with off

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »
if you  do the prep maco is the way to go  for cost anyhow  they have a five year guarantee with some  jobs  they do  for a little more  $$$$$

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:16:25 PM »
THIS THREAD IS OVER A YEAR OLD  :headshake: newbies...

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:20:08 PM »
KRYLON
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:35:47 PM »
THIS THREAD IS OVER A YEAR OLD  :headshake: newbies...
better to add tech to an old thread than start 50 new ones  :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:46:19 PM »
Since this thread has been dug up I might as well put my  :twocents: in... When I bought my tacoma it was theft recovery and had damage. Took it to maaco and for like $500 or $600 (around there) they repainted the entire truck and fixed a lot of damage. My buddy works at a real good shop and though the paint would have been way better, it would have cost me $3000 easily to get the same amount of work done. Anyway, up until the truck was totalled (2+ years later) the paint was still lookin nice. Chipped in a few places, but nothing a touchup wouldnt quickly take care of. For a truck that's gonna be wheeled, Maaco is a PERFECT balance of cost and looks... My 80 will be there soon for some touchup. I checked the kind of paint they were using and asked around, sure enough it was supposed to be pretty good stuff. Maaco does it so cheap since they do very little prep work (dont remove almost any trim) and the prep work is where all your money is lost... well at least that's what I hear.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
Took it to maaco and for like $500 or $600 (around there) they repainted the entire truck and fixed a lot of damage.

I fixed my damage myself and spent about 40 bucks at wal-mart on paint and 10 bucks on sandpaper.....not too shabby (and easy to touch up! :yupyup: )

RIP KYOTA

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2006, 03:09:53 PM »
what rear springs are those ??
downey 2 inch
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:55:11 PM »
better to add tech to an old thread than start 50 new ones  :yupyup:
If it was a legitimate question, or an answer about paint, I would care not.  But it was dug up and :bs: was posted.  Gee, member with name of Spell Check gives grammatical advice.  Come on.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:59:41 PM »
Hey fellow’s no wonder you’re not getting anywhere with your auto paint problems, you’re using the wrong word to explain to the judge. The word is “peel” not “peal”, see below. But in any event good luck!!

Main Entry: 1peal 
1 a : the loud ringing of bells b : a complete set of changes on a given number of bells c : a set of bells tuned to the tones of the major scale for change ringing
2 : a loud sound or succession of sounds <peals of laughter>

Main Entry: 1peel 
1 : to strip off an outer layer of <peel an orange>
2 : to remove by stripping <peel the label off the can>
1 a : to come off in sheets or scales b : to lose an outer layer (as of skin) <his face is peeling>
2 : to take off one's clothes
3 : to break away from a group or formation -- often used with off

ha! i didnt see that duffil! i thought minermike dug it up!  spell check what a tool! :haha: friggin trolls!
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »
Maaco uses sherwin williams paint. 

I got quoted about $120 for single stage, about $220 for base/clear, both of which I'm assuming were nason.

I also picked up enough hot rod black, reducer and related items/chemicals to paint my bike almost twice for $30, and you could do something similar for your truck for about what you paid dtb, but it'd be easier and faster to do again!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »
maaco is cool if you aint got the time but my trick is go down to the local auto paint store and ask to look through there mis match colors. they sold me the paint at cost and if i got two quarts for 50 buck kick ass matilic silver and if i was to buy it at cost would have cost me $200+. besides toyota's dont have that crasy of body lines so sanding is easy and if you have a first gen you can remove both you windows easy to make taping off easy.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot about that too.  The store I got my bike paint at had some mixed paints, customer ordered but didn't like or didn't pick up, etc., and it's pretty darn cheap.  We're talkin a gallon for $25, but the colors I've seen are hideous!  Metallic brown, some strange pink color. 

I haven't even checked with the other shop, but they'll probably have some too.  I got kinda lucky cause I was given a gallon of dupont centari red, a little darker than my red, but free is free!  Only problem now is trying to find the right reducer for it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!