Author Topic: Problems with All-Pro trans brake  (Read 2764 times)

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
Problems with All-Pro trans brake
« on: Oct 12, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
Anyone experience this problem.

I have an 85 4runner with no body lift and an old Marlin crossmember. The trans brake rotor hits the bottom of the body. Since I dont want to lift the body and I'm not gonna drop the tranny, i had to cut a slot in the tunnel to clear it and move the fuel return lines out of the way. Since I am runnning stock tranny and engine mounts, it was a pretty big slot. Happens to land right where my seat mounts are, weakening them.
Thoroughly disappointed I called all-pro and they said they've never had this issue and dont know what I'm talking about. They install and sell them all day to trucks exactly like mine yadda yadda. Acted like I was retarded who knows, maybe I am.

Also, anyone know why you would design a tranny disk brake system where only 2/3 the pad contacts the rotor?

Plus the whole unit bolts to the transfer case and while the bracket for the brake is 3/8 steel, if I were to slam it on a rock it would probably crack my t case.

Otherwise, it'll hold my truck at 45 degrees no prob. Way better then the e brake before. Just cant run it with a rear DS disconnect :)
Romans 12:2

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Re: Problems with All-Pro trans brake
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:02:37 AM »
When I had mine installed it used all but 1/8" of the pad.  When you need new pads look me up I have new replacement liners.

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
When I had mine installed it used all but 1/8" of the pad.  When you need new pads look me up I have new replacement liners.

good to know. I will!

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »
Yea. I have never been happy with mine. cant wait to get rid of it.

Also a MUST. You have to run solid motor mounts on your engine. Because your tcase mount has no give and your motor mounts do. I have cracked 2 housings before I figured this out.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 11:22:12 AM by Slolyfe »
You'll never take me alive

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
? i am not sure why you have to run solid mounts. My trans brake mounts right to the transfer case.

It should move where the transfer case moves correct? Are you sure you didnt smack the assembly once or twice? Thats my fear.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
I think he's running the one with the ebrake on the new t-case crossmember that bolts to the rear of the case and the onto the inside of the frame rails, not just the ebrake bracket like you have.  I have the one like you have and I love it.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Seeds [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
I think he's running the one with the ebrake on the new t-case crossmember that bolts to the rear of the case and the onto the inside of the frame rails, not just the ebrake bracket like you have.  I have the one like you have and I love it.

i see. then that makes sense. no wonder it cracked. sheesh, id ask for my money back and a new t case if i had that kind.

mine is like the pic, the brake works great. ive been on 45 degree plus inclines and it held solid, but didnt like the install or the potential to take a big hit and crack your t-case. i may have to do some redesigning

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
I think he's running the one with the ebrake on the new t-case crossmember that bolts to the rear of the case and the onto the inside of the frame rails, not just the ebrake bracket like you have.  I have the one like you have and I love it.

Yep. Poor design. Sorry, I thought that is what you where talking about.
You'll never take me alive