Author Topic: 22re turbo build  (Read 10087 times)

b_sherwood3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
22re turbo build
« on: Sep 15, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
I purchased this toyota 1992 4x4 22re 5speed about 4 months ago,  a let me tell for a guy living in South Louisiana, there are hard to find.  Took me about 3 months to find one that I liked.  I rebuilt the top end, New intake, 268 engnbldr cam, new rocker assy, headers with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back.  Truck runs great, transmission shifts great, truck is still in original condition with original rims no rust.  No after market work was ever done on this truck AC still blows cold.  219,000 miles and running great.  I was recently given a 22re that was two weeks old maybe 500 miles on it, the block is cracked,  but the head, cam, all aother parts are ok.  I plan on getting new forged pistons, rods bearings, ect.. everything I need to rebuild but I want to purchase the 22rte pistons with the 7.5:1 compression or maybe the 8:1 from LC, I know I will have to tap some holes for the oil lines,  just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this or new where I could get come cheaper parts.   LC has nice parts but pretty expensive.  Does anyone know if someone makes or has a turbo manifold for less then 700 dollars.  Any Ideas or tips would be helpful for the rebuild as well.  I will post pics from time to time during the rebuild.   

My plans are to rebuild the engine I have in the back yard
Get a new or rebuilt w56 trans
Remove the old engine, trans, and bed all at once and repaint the frame
Repaint inside engine bay 
4" superlift
4.88 gears
33x10.50 tires
then new paint
Fender flares
just a little bit at a time but first is the engine rebuild.

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
Re: 22re turbo build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2011, 02:59:17 AM »
I will post a pic of the truck when I have enough post

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2011, 03:49:14 AM »
A pic of my new toy.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
I wouldn't deal with a 22RTE.  To make them run good, you need very deep pockets.  Several of the guys on here have spent many of hours, and money getting a 22RTE to run effectively.  If at all, only to take it in the shorts just to get rid of their money pit.   Just go to www.22RTE.com and do some reading.

A good 22RE with a Enginebuilder head with oversized valves, cam, a clean intake, and the larger exhaust, will be more reliable and cheaper than the turbo setup.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
I have that on the truck already,  I rebuilt the top end on the engine that is currently in the truck this time home.  I put new intake,  engnbldr 268 cam, headers with 2 1/4" exhaust all the back.  The onlything I haven't done is oversize valves and some new high performance pistons.  I am set on the turbo build, I know it will cost money, but I will only be running about 7psi which should be around 70 hp gain.  I don't need anymore then 200 hp.  This will be a slow rebuild since I really have good running engine in the truck already, and she runs very good for 219,000 miles,  I mean when I looked at the short block and pistons, I mean no scratches or any damage, I really got a good truck that was well maintained over the years.  The guy that had the truck before me has a tally book in the glove compartment, and everything ever done to the truck written down, even every oil change from the time he had got until 216,000 when I bought it.  Very well maintained. 

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2011, 04:03:24 AM »
That a nice truck you have there cheesemaker,  nice rebuild. 

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
Thanks.  It's been a slow process, that has hit a wall.  That wall is called, "No Money!"  What also helps, is that Marlin and the crew at the shop treat me like family, so they help out when I get stuff from them.  I send them cheese too!!  :thumbs:

It's not that I'm trying to persuade you from a 22RTE, but all the info I read online, I learned that the 22RTE was a bandaid to get more power.  Because they were competing with Nissan and their V6 that came out in 1986.5.  And to properly make the 22RTE more reliable, and better, it took alot of $, and fabricating.  And a majority of the people who do them, regret the fact that they wasted all this time and money for nothing.  Most just swap in 3RZ's, and a way better motor.  Better mpg, HP, and TQ overall, and in stock form.  Turbo's need to be driven differently.  After being driven hard, they have to have a cool down time, before shutting off the motor, or you will burn up the bearings in the turbo.  And then there is the boost aspect.  In a stock setup, they didn't spool up till around 2800ish RPM's.  I don't know about you, I don't get over that unless I'm speeding up and shifting gears, and just cruising down the road, I'm doing about 2500 rpms.  So, your not using the turbo at all. 

Just sharing my knowledge.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2011, 06:45:23 AM by Cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
I have been looking at the 3rz's, 7mge, and 3.4 swaps,  I looked at all the forums and I am thinking about the 3RZ because I wouldn't have to make much changes except the exhaust is mounted on the opposite side and they already make a plug and play wiring kit.  I just like the 22re and I just wanted to stay original.  I don't have the 22rte,  I have a 22re, that I was gonna take and get bored .040, use the Weisco pistons 8:1,  Eagle forged rods,  I was gonna tap the block and oil pan for my oil lines, then all I would need after that would be the LC engineering turbo kit, and a fuel management system.  I understand you point and its a good one, but no matter what I do I will do everything myself just because its a yota and I enjoy doing it myself.  An old truck like this restored is something I take pride in.  My friends all drive chevy, ford, dodge and always ask me why I drive a toyota, because I have a 2008 tundra,  and all I ever say is when they make a better truck I will buy one, until then I buy toyota.  I tell them all you do is change the oil and she'll run forever.  yeah but I am still undecided about the engine.  Thanks for the advice.

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »
Well guys I have some good news, no more turbo,  I just found a supercharger kit, fuel management system, forged 8.5:1 cp pistons, 420cc injectors, supre 2jtze fuel pump, airflow sensor no more meter, 272 turbo cam,  all for one low price of 3000.  woohoo.   Thanks for all the advice but I just couldn't pass up the deal.  40-50 horsepower will be plenty enough for me. 

b_sherwood3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
I will start the engine rebuild when I get home and keep everyone posted.   

realcamotoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Oct '11
  • I'm having rock withdrawals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:10:02 AM »
Are you not home yet? :driving:

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group