Author Topic: inflatable mattress for a 4runner  (Read 12275 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
inflatable mattress for a 4runner
« on: Sep 10, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
So i'm trying to get my wife a little more excited about going camping and we've been going camping in the back of my 1985 4runner, and i heard about these truck bed inflatable air mattresses... i was wondering if anyone has gotten one or seen one. i can't find a picture of one actually in a 4runner so i was wondering if anyone on here has one or has seen one in action... i have to admit, the idea of an air mattress in the runner sounds pretty good...

The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

IMMUDDY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
Re: inflatable mattress for a 4runner
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
I use a regular ol' air mattress like in the second link.. No real need for fender notches.. It's full of air, it will form around and you won't even notice. Plus they are alot cheaper.
If I hit it just right, I might make it.

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2011, 08:42:54 AM »
well sounds like i just need a normal mattress then! that'll save me a hundred bucks!
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2011, 10:31:25 AM »
I have an Air-Bedz air matress.  I like it! I don't recall seeing the model of matress as you have pictured in your OP but it does appear thinner in height than the one I have....read on...

The Pros:

It has a built in battery operated inflator/deflator. No more lightheaded episodes!  :gap: The battery is easily removable for charging or replacement (it basically just slides out with a firm tug) and best of all, when the ambient temp drops and the bed seems to be slightly deflated all you do is reach to the switch and give it a top off without losing much sleep over a slightly deflated matress or even bother looking for an air source in the middle of the night.  :thumbs:

The quality of the material used for the construction of the matress is quite good as well. It is very thick and well made. Even comes with it's own bag for carrying and storing it.

The Cons:

I must say though, the application listing only showed for a later model pick up than my '84 xtra cab but I ordered it anyway and it fit perfectly! Not sure if they show a seperate listing for a 4runner or not but if it has the same dimensions as the short bed of a pick up it should fit. The only other word of advise on this is that the matress is also 12-13" in height....that may not leave you much headroom in the rig for even sitting up if you still have the shell on your 4runner.  :thumbdown: I made extensions to raise the canopy I use over my lumber rack specifically so I had the headroom to comfortably sit up and even stretch a little. Just FYI, I'm not real tall (5' 7") so just to give you an idea.  8)

Hope this helps!  :beer:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
If she isn't tokeen on camping, I don't know how well she will do with the reduced headroom with an air matress, and the cramped space in the back of the Runner.  A buddy of mine and his wife have done it from time to time with the various gen Runners they have had, but his wife enjoys camping. 

If youreally want here to enjoy camping, you should go with a 10'x8' tent or larger, and one of the inflatable beds like the areo bed, or one of the collapsable frames neds with the air matress on top.

I camped out of the back of my '90 for about 17yrs with all types of various contraptions that attached to the back to make it more convienent.  Since my '91 isn't user friendly(deck sits to high), I have gone to tent camping, and wont go back.  It is a lot more convienent, a lot more room, easier access to gear/clothing etc.  Granted winter/snow camping is a little colder, but being able to hang up wet clothing to dry and being able to stand up when changing cloths is a fair trade off.

If she feels safer in the back of the Runner over a tent, neither are bear proof.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
They are only $90: http://truck-bedz.com/default.tpl?pageID=1&page=full&cart=1315697258702058&id1=36&id2=[id2]&id3=[id3]&--eqskudatarq=39%20%20VCSB%20T1

The $190 ones hold 4000 lbs: http://truck-bedz.com/default.tpl?pageID=1&page=full&cart=1315697258702058&id1=36&id2=[id2]&id3=[id3]&--eqskudatarq=19%20%20CSB%20T1   
I suppose this is so you can leave it inflated and pack all your gear on top of it.

We paid about $50 for a regular one in Moab.  That's with inflation... so it all depends on $$

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
the main reason i just want the matress is purely for convenience and quick set up of the camp site. often times it's only for one night and i don't really want to set up a tent with all the fixin's for only one night... if we plan on staying for a while then i'll use a tent.

the truck bedz mattresses sound pretty good... i like the idea of the built in air, and the durable construction. I think next time we go i''l try the air mattress we have now (just a normal every day mattress) and see how it goes. if i ever have some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket i'll probably get the full blown fitted mattress.
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
Looks like the 4 runner is better for reg. mattresses than pickups.  Your fenders don't stick up as much and it only will contact the roll bar.  Throw down some carpet or a blanket on any rough edges and I bet it will work great.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2011, 02:48:36 AM »
I've never had much luck with them past a season or two, they always end up leaking and you wake up laying on the floor of the bed. Just get a cheap one so you don't end up out the $ for the form fitting one.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rock4Runner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
I use 5 inch hi-density foam work perfect time after time don't need air or pump kids always used it at my home for sleep over. I made a plastic Cover for more protection bu u can used just small tarp work perfect.

About the cost of the foam $ 40-60 depend of the upholstery supply store
There are not victory without sacrifice!

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2011, 12:56:39 AM »
I use 5 inch hi-density foam work perfect time after time don't need air or pump kids always used it at my home for sleep over. I made a plastic Cover for more protection bu u can used just small tarp work perfect.

About the cost of the foam $ 40-60 depend of the upholstery supply store

my parents always had that stuff when i was a kid and we went camping, but i never knew where i could get it! now i know though... i might have to go check that out now! good idea!
My Old Toy

Rock4Runner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
my parents always had that stuff when i was a kid and we went camping, but i never knew where i could get it! now i know though... i might have to go check that out now! good idea!
I suggest upholstery's supply store because he sell at regular price & if u buy it from upholstery shop he always charge u $10-20 just to order the foam for u.
There are not victory without sacrifice!