Author Topic: Larimer County, CO Emissions (1st Gen)  (Read 4083 times)

COwheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Larimer County, CO Emissions (1st Gen)
« on: Sep 05, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
Hey guys,  I'm Looking for some good info on Larimer County Emission results.  I have a 79 and tore all the bs emission stuff off as soon as I bought the truck.  From what I've been hearing from friends (not toy drivers) they are not popping hoods on old trucks.  The ladies at the local DMV are very helpful at answering questions but cannot tell you everything you need to know.  For legal reasons obviously.  I have a puff of blue smoke on fire up and some more smoke as I'm grabbing gears going down the road.  They will not be testing my truck on the dyno but I am still worried I am going to have to turn this sweet truck into a trailer queen.  Only 140,000 on my 32 year old truck.  Please let me know if you or your friends have been as stressed out about this as I am.

Thanks in advance,
Matt :beerchug: :bowdown:

PhantomD aka Zach

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 210
  • Member since Jun '09
  • Needs more garage space!
    • View Profile
Re: Larimer County, CO Emissions (1st Gen)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
My friend had a first gen a few years back and they required the air pump, she had to hook it up and make it look like it was plumbed to the exhaust. She could of had other emissions stuff too, I was a bit of a engine newb back then

They did indeed open the hood, this was in boulder county with the envirotest people though
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2011, 09:06:50 PM by PhantomD aka Zach »
3rd Gen Extra Cab, Dual Cases, E-Lockers

COwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
All right, I had the most epic fail... as in barely failed.  Lil toy did awesome on the sniff test.  They didn't dyno it, but I had every tech in the shop looking my truck over.  Top to bottom.   They did me pretty good.  Only thing they called me on was my smog pump.  It only cost 15 bucks for the test for 81 and older.  Get one free retry.  The header and egr block off plates made them look pretty close but all they want to pass is the air pump.  Half hour of work tomorrow will finish it.  Fingers crossed.  They also don't test Nox on the older trucks.  Hell even my 32 year old gas cap passed!! 

All I did to prepare for the test is sea foam(carb and vac), seal conditioner, mid grade fuel and a valve adj.  Very happy with my fail!!  let ya know how it goes tomorrow.

Volcom

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »
Passing emissions is a PITA.  Good job getting a 32 year old truck to pass  :biggthumpup:

I'm in Pueblo County so no testing for me  :smokin:  My brother (lives in Highlands Ranch) registers his Jeep at my parent's address here in Pueblo to avoid the emissions.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
Passing emissions is a PITA.  Good job getting a 32 year old truck to pass  :biggthumpup:

I'm in Pueblo County so no testing for me  :smokin:  My brother (lives in Highlands Ranch) registers his Jeep at my parent's address here in Pueblo to avoid the emissions.
No emissions here in Bailey either. Gotta love it cuz I know for sure my truck wont pass
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

COwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »
Well just got back from the retest... failed...high CO.  I put the air pump in and made it look like it was all hooked up (suckers).  I passed the air injection portion no questions asked.  But when they resniffed it the CO jumped up a bunch of points.  I hooked nothing up to the engine from the air pump.  Making me wonder what changed, half tank of gas, its about 90 degrees out today, time for an ice cold PBR and think on it some.  Air/fuel mixture screw????  Has to be simple. :beerchug:

COwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
Ok thought about it for a bit.  When I tested on Friday my idle was sitting at 1000,  today it was rolling at 850.  I failed the idle part of the CO test today.  Think that has to be the issue.  Gonna bump it up to a grand and make sure it stays there for the test tomorrow.  Darn webers can't make up their mind what they want to idle at... fingers crossed

COwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Got it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Time to tear this junk off and store it in a box till next year.  If anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask. :beerchug:

OldGold3VZE

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 417
  • Member since Feb '08
  • Run whatcha brung, and have some fun!
    • View Profile
    • Light Racing, High Performance Bump Stops
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
Matt, it's Eric from Loveland.  Thanks for posting.  I called the emissions center for details on my build, and they too said I would need the air pump, but it can be from the 84 (the year of my engine).  I guess in 84 it was a lot smaller, and not a belt driven pump.  You went to the place by WalMart in between Loveland and Ft. Collins, right?
My 1980 Long Bed build thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=84562.0

Truggy build thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89844.0

Rastafari Livity!  Ital = Vital!

COwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Yup, by wallyworld.  They don't really know whats going on.  Just has to look legit.  The only private places for testing are in Denver.  I have some garage stuff for ya if you want it.  Have you an aluminum bench top and some stools and chairs.  Let me know.

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Great job getting it to pass!  Larimer County started emissions testing right as I was putting a 5VZ in my 1st gen, so I lucked out.  It was a pain to jump through their hoops for the engine swap, but now it passes really easily.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

COwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
Sweet man, Good job.  Where you at? :beer:

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:25:27 AM »
I live in Bellvue/Laporte area and work/go to school in Fort Collins.  You?
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor