Author Topic: 84 22R acting like its running on 3 cyl.?  (Read 2686 times)

zeke jr.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
84 22R acting like its running on 3 cyl.?
« on: Jul 31, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
hey guys and gals, here's the back story:
I own a 84 22r lifted locked all that jazz. i just had my head rebuilt 2 weeks ago installed it and the truck has ran great!! on Thursday i headed from Pleasanton, Ca to Colfax, Ca. its about a 3.5 hr drive. i had no problems the entire way but whence i arrived at the lake it began to run horrible barely keeping an idle. so here's what i have done to try and figure out whats wrong:
-i pulled plug wires as it was idling starting with wire 1 when i pulled them each time it ran worse Except for when i pulled the #3 plug wire there was no diff. so i said, must be running on 3 cylinders.
-next i made sure i had spark at each plug and they all have spark.
- next i ran a compression check ALL 4 cylinders have 180.
-now i decided to get a go-no-go gauge and check my valve adjustment all spot on to factory spec.
- i also checked my timing with a light dead on.
i am totally baffled at why it would be running so bad when everything seems to be in order.

any tips y'all would reccomend to help figure out this issue would be great, i am gonna call the machinist that did the rebuild this week but i am hoping there is some other thing to check b4 i take the head off the motor again.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!  
-TREAD LIGHTLY-

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2011, 12:59:06 PM by zeke jr. »
always remember a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

"I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: totally stumped. any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »
Timing???
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

zeke jr. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
Re: totally stumped. any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »
i checked it with a timing light and it seems to be right, the guides look good as well. maybe the tensioner is bad or the camshaft sprocket and crank gear are not lined up right i dunno i marked em and made sure they were alinged when i put the motor together.    :dunno:

"I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: 84 22R acting like its running on 3 cyl.?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Could be a bad sparkplug, fires ok when not under compression, but does not fire under compression.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

zeke jr. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
Re: 84 22R acting like its running on 3 cyl.?
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »
i just went and bought all new plugs (NGKs)  and wires cap and rotor, running on all 4 now but stilll not running 'Right'.   im thinking part of the issue is i have a bad leak from the air pickup tube on the manifold. now hunting for a header and a rebuild kit for my carb.

Thanks guys for lending some suggestions, i was getting a lil frustrated not finding any good leads to follow.