Author Topic: Coolant leak on the back side of motor  (Read 9282 times)

sparkys83yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 320
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Coolant leak on the back side of motor
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »
Hey all. So i noticed a small coolant leak coming from where my engine and tranny mount together. I checked the heater hoses on the fire wall and it was not there. I have another 22 r block in my garage and noticed a small piece on the back side of the head. I took it off and sure enough it is part of the cooling system. This is the only place it can be coming from. Does any one know how to get at this thing without pulling the whole motor. I am seriously considering cutting my fire wall and welding it back together. Here are some pics to show what I am talking about.

83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leak on the back side of motor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »
I would get a telescoping mirror and look back there to make sure that's where the leak is coming from. The head gasket is right below that piece, check to see if it's leaking there. Also I have seen blocks crack back there. If that is what's leaking, then if you move some of the engine stuff out of the way you should be able to access it. Don't cut your firewall.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:02:13 AM »
If it was a head gasket issue or a cracked block wouldn't I be having some major overheating issues? Or milky oil. The engine oil is brand new and clear as can be.
83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
If it was a head gasket issue or a cracked block wouldn't I be having some major overheating issues? Or milky oil. The engine oil is brand new and clear as can be.
It all depends on where the head gasket fails. The head gasket on my 4Runner is leaking on the driver side and it doesn't overheat nor do I have oil in the water,  just the smell of the coolant evaporating. I have also seen the bolts that hold that plate break off. Use a mirror like yotarunner said and see where the leak is coming from, that way you will know for sure.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
Will do. Thanks guys. I will let you know what I find

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Would it be the same with a cracked block? No over heating issues? Sorry bout all the questions but im still learning

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
Would it be the same with a cracked block? No over heating issues? Sorry bout all the questions but im still learning

it is possible.... i would try to find the leak before you decide you have a cracked block though..... the 22r engine blocks are damn near bulletproof..... i would say the head failed, or a gasket failed before i jumped to the conclusion that the block failed
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 12:14:06 PM by jimbo74 »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
it is possible.... i would try to find the elak before you decide you have a cracked block though..... the 22r engine blocks are damn near bulletproof..... i owuld say the head failed, or a gasket failed before i jusmped to teh conclusion that the block failed
I hope its not the block. I just swapped it last week by myself. That would be a pitty.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
It all depends on where the head gasket fails. The head gasket on my 4Runner is leaking on the driver side and it doesn't overheat nor do I have oil in the water,  just the smell of the coolant evaporating. I have also seen the bolts that hold that plate break off. Use a mirror like yotarunner said and see where the leak is coming from, that way you will know for sure.
Yea, what he said.
It won,t overheat untill the coolant level runs low.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
Well I checked it out with a mirror. Couldn't see anything. I got a clean dry shop towel wiped the area down. Nothing wet on the towel. Just normal simi greasy dust. Could I have damaged anything trying to wrestle.the motor in. Its not a major leak. Just a very very small amount.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
Best way to check for a coolant leak is with a cooling system pressure tester. It will pump up the cooling system to 15-16psi, then look for a leak.

Edit: Some auto parts stores have loner tool programs, If you don't have a pressure tester.

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
Well.... tested for a leak with a pressure tester. After about ten minutes it barely moved. Less than 1/2 lb. So now I am really confused.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:08:22 PM »
Maybe something else is leaking or it's just not leaking anymore. Drive it and keep an eye on the coolant level and check for leaks again. It's easier to find a leak when its actually leaking. If it stopped leaking it's going to be hard to find.

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
I think I found it. I noticed that the side of the oil pan was shiny. The coolant is running down from the front it the engine. It almost looks like its coming from the back side of the timing chain cover. Maybe the head but I can't see in there really well. Im thinking that since the system lost no pressure when I tested it that I am just gonna leave it alone for now. It is only a couple of drips a day. I have been checking my engine oil and coolant level. The coolant is fine and so is the oil.

nor-cal yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »
If that is not it. Maybe check this.

If coolant is dripping somewhere near the motor and tranny area. Most likely its your freeze plug behind your fly wheel. I know its hind sight now, but anytime you pull the tranny or motor out always check them out. Its only part that cost a few bucks.

Hopefully thats not it..

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
if you use toyota pink and maybe even red factory coolant. when it leaks out and is exposed to air and drys, it starts to build up. looks like kinda like how when a battery gets corrosion. anyways this helps find leaks in a way since it will most likely dry at or near the source of the leak.  seeing as you dont drive it everyday, might be worth a shot. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2011, 05:50:53 AM »
I hope its not the block. I just swapped it last week by myself. That would be a pitty.
you swapped the entire engine or just the block?? if you had the head off I would say pull the valve cover and re torque the head bolts.
22R  heads and blocks are extremely tough, in all my years with these engines ive only seen one head cracked.  they will warp if you overheat them bad.   Ive always believed on toyota's the red part on the temp gauge should read "blowing head gasket now"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way