Author Topic: SAS 4Runner ..Need opinions...have searched a LOT!  (Read 3164 times)

92Bogger

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
SAS 4Runner ..Need opinions...have searched a LOT!
« on: Jan 18, 2005, 12:08:52 PM »
 I have been researching sas on 4runners for a few weeks now and have spent many hours up[ late addicted to all the different ways to do this. I am getting a 92 v6 4x4 4runner and would liek to do a sas. I am thinking of running a chevy d44 that will be cut down to 62" wms using stock shafts from other axles (only because my buddy has one, hell  pratically give me). I would like to get 5" to 7" of lift from the front and rear. Let me know what springs i should run, what kidn of shackles, what front crossmember..??
  I had decided on running a kit from either marlin or all pro, but decided their kits are a little bit overrated and would like to run the Chevy d44...im jsut trying toi decide on if i shuld have a front crossmember made and waht combo i should get to achieve about 5-7 " of lift (preferably 7") I am going to try to run 38 swamppers... any input is greatly appreciated and im sorry i have written a novel...i have researched and have so much floating around in my head right now thnaks a lot!

Geoff

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i have a 91 xcab pickup, and while it is still IFS, I have looked into doing an SAS as well (no money right now)  for kits, your best bet truly would be to go with the marlin or all pro kit.  I have heard some bad things about the all pro kit itself though.  From everything I have looked at, the kit seems to be the best way to go, and marlins is one of the better kits.  When I do my SAS, that is what I will be using.  as for the other stuff, I really cant help you.  good luck :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Are you planing on putting the SAS on yourself?  Are you trying to do it the cheap way or do you have some money to spend? 

92Bogger [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I will ber doin it my self alomng with assorted hep from friends and one has a 4x4 shop and i can get d shafts lenthenede torches etc...the only reason im not loooking into a kit is because if i run a cut down chevy d44 then i will not need any of the widening kit offereed in the kits for the axle and i would liek to hear from u guys if this is correct and if i shuld piece a kit together? let me know i have some money but not a lot so sumwhat cheap is the way im loookign for thanks!

goeff

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
You can buy just the hanger/shackle kit without buying the entire thing. This will save you some time in fabing. It doesn't really matter what springs or kit you decide to go with, you can bolt up any axle to the springs as long as the perches are the right distance apart. Personally, i'd buy Marlins hanger kit and go for it, although i'm not a big fan of the 44, and you have to go through all the work of narrowing it. IMO i'd sell the 44 and put longs in your front end.

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
If your gonna run a 44 front, hell keep it full width and build your hangers wider and bend your shackels out to match.
That's how I roll