Author Topic: Synchros going out?  (Read 1876 times)

ART 2.7l4x4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
Synchros going out?
« on: Mar 08, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
New to the forum, purchased a 2002 Tacoma access cab, 2.7l, 4x4, 5spd man transmission last year with 167k miles on her. Shes at about 180k now. Lately the transmissions been a little stiff to get into 1st gear. I have to pretty much be at a stop to shift into 1st. That doesn't bug me as much as how I have to engage the 1st gear. If I baby it and start letting off the clutch slowly with low RPM's I can get going smoothly. But if I give her any gas as I'm letting the clutch out she shudders taking off. It "jumps" into gear. All the other gears are fine, I never experience any loss of power, or surging, its never "slipped".  Is this a good time for a transmission rebuild? Or can a shop simply replace the synchro thats going out, if that's the case? I'm living in Long Beach, CA. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Synchros going out?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:26:18 AM »
Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging, does it grind a little when going into reverse sometimes at a full stop and the clutch is fully depressed? If it does then it is not completely disengaging. Could be a few things like the clutch master, clutch slave or the clutch/pressure plate.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ART 2.7l4x4 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2011, 06:52:48 AM »
No grinding when going in reverse to a complete stop with the clutch fully depressed. I hope I read that correctly. I just don't understand why it would only be related to the 1st gear if it was the clutch not fully disengaging. Wouldn't that affect the other gears as well? That does make some sense though, because as soon as I baby it into first gear and she is engaged, I hit the gas and it's smooth sailing from there. Weird.

ART 2.7l4x4 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
Digging a little deeper into the forum I'm thinking that it could be the motor mount/s? One article was saying to hold the brake down as I let go of the clutch to see how the engine jumps and I think that would recreate what I'm experiencing. Going to have to try this when I get home. In first and reverse...