Author Topic: 35 lb flywheel???  (Read 4903 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
35 lb flywheel???
« on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:28:16 PM »
I think this may be an original post!  Who  knows, anyway does anyone out there run a heavy duty flyhweel? Like a 30 to 35lb model? I know that it can help on the highway as well as on the triail keeping the rpm's up. Just bored so Im posting something new.

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 35 lb flywheel???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2005, 01:38:09 PM »
It would make the power a little smoother, make the engine harder to stall, take a little longer to rev, etc.  Have you found a source for one?  The only aftermarket flywheels that I've seen are lighter than stock.

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2005, 06:58:47 PM »
I would stick with a stock flywheel it gives you the best of both worlds and it is much easier on the engine. and it would actually make the engine easier to stall cause it is harder for the engine to move it. it would hold the speed better cause it would provided more momentium for the engine cause it acts as a rolling mass and helps the engine run smoother between power strokes. and  a lighter flywheel would make it harder to move also but puts less drag on the engine which would provide more power but making it extremly hard to start off after coming to a complete stop and thats why you always see pit crew members pushing cars to help them get going and see them stall it more often. Stay with stock  :yesnod:
Just my  :twocents:
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2005, 04:49:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I tried to search again for the heavy flywheel but cant afind it agian. Eiether way I didnt even think about the extra load it puts on the rear bearing. Toyota engineers did a great job of designing the 22r which means leav it stock and it can compete with some diesel engines in longevity. My last motor gave up at 360,000 miles.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2005, 01:54:06 AM by guywithuglyyota »
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:04:49 PM »
The two companies I seem to recall making them are NWOR and LC engineering.  A friend of mine had a couple of pounds shaved off his sammy flywheel and said it actually helped with compression braking going downhill.  I plan on having that done to one of mine before I do my next engine swap,  and am gonna have as much as possible shaved off one for my 2wd,    Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:36:04 PM »
LC Engineering sells them
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

bkg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:45:06 PM »
I would stick with a stock flywheel it gives you the best of both worlds and it is much easier on the engine. and it would actually make the engine easier to stall cause it is harder for the engine to move it. it would hold the speed better cause it would provided more momentium for the engine cause it acts as a rolling mass and helps the engine run smoother between power strokes. and  a lighter flywheel would make it harder to move also but puts less drag on the engine which would provide more power but making it extremly hard to start off after coming to a complete stop and thats why you always see pit crew members pushing cars to help them get going and see them stall it more often. Stay with stock  :yesnod:
Just my  :twocents:

This is incorrect. 

The heavier flywheel will not cause the engine to stall more, it has the exact opposite effect - more rotating mass = more momentum = will help prevent the engine from stalling.  It will reduce accelleration, of course, since it takes longer to get the mass up to speed.

A lighter flywheel also does not have the affect that you are stating - it will make the engine quicker to rev as it has less rotating mass.  It will make it easier to accellerate, but will also make it easier to stall the engine. 

I have a friend who ran the 35lb flywheel from Downey (it's really an AA product) and loved it.  He ran it long before he had a Marlin and noticed much less issues with stalling off-road.  With his Marlin (2.28/2.28) he was given the knickname "Tractor" since it seemed to rarely stall... even at only a few hundred RPM's.

Is it worth the $350 or whatever it costs these days?  Probably not - considering you can get a dual case adapter for that price and 4.x gears for a little more.
bkg

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2005, 07:44:47 PM »
well thats just what i was told by my auto tech teacher who is a Ford master Tech so I'm sticking with his statment but he could have explained it wrong to me i'll ask tomarrow
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2005, 11:40:39 AM »
well thats what happens when you ask a Ford tech.  :smack:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:49:33 PM »
My brother runs the 30 lbs (If I recall correctly) Centerforce flywheel in his truck.  You can pretty much let out the clutch and the truck will take off, with no gas.  On the other hand, on my 2wd, I had my flywheel lightened about 6 lbs, then had it balanced.  It is a bit easier to stall, you have to slip the clutch a bit more.  It's not super bad, as it's only been lightened 6 lbs.  It does allow the engine to rev up a bit faster.

moutaintoys

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -63
  • Male Posts: 358
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2005, 08:03:47 PM »
20r fly wheels are about 5lbs haver i'v been running them on my 22rs for about 15 years thay help bottom end so much thay wount stall.
Lets go break somethin "GO NAVY"

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2005, 03:07:35 PM »
yeah my teach explained it backwards to me