Author Topic: doing a rear link setup?  (Read 5227 times)

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
doing a rear link setup?
« on: Jan 02, 2005, 01:28:32 AM »
how do u go about doing a rear 3 link or 4 link? if i could figure this out and the funds are there i want to do this
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: doing a rear link setup?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2005, 01:29:40 AM »
Waste of time, you and MikeD have been spending WAY too much time lately.......
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 01:33:37 AM »
Waste of time, you and MikeD have been spending WAY too much time lately.......

hahahaha u must be kidding me. im just curious bro. i want to do the caddy but wouldnt it end up costing me more when i have to get some chev leafs to stiffen them up? besides i want to pose at malls....not actually wheel :hammerhead:
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2005, 01:37:59 AM »
No its just that there isnt any real reason for a street driven trail truck to have links on it.  There are so many variables involved to get the linkage set correctly that once you get it set so its not squirly onroad it sucks offroad.  Leaf springs rule.

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2005, 01:44:06 AM »
that makes sense. consider this post gone...i was really bored
Im an OG

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »
No its just that there isnt any real reason for a street driven trail truck to have links on it.  There are so many variables involved to get the linkage set correctly that once you get it set so its not squirly onroad it sucks offroad.  Leaf springs rule.

id like to wager a bet.  you pick the twisty mountain road and a freeway, then ill pick the trail. well have a little competition to see whos rig works better. your leaf sprung truck or my linked rear. well even place emphasis on the street portion since its a daily driver.

just cause you cant build it doesnt mean you need to discourage others...
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2005, 12:40:37 PM by dirtyskivies »
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2005, 12:58:03 PM »

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2005, 01:06:19 PM »

id like to wager a bet.  you pick the twisty mountain road and a freeway, then ill pick the trail. well have a little competition to see whos rig works better. your leaf sprung truck or my linked rear. well even place emphasis on the street portion since its a daily driver.

Im not trying to discourage him because I cant build a link setup, Im discouraging him because it would be severely impractical in his application.  There is no real reason to go from stock straight to link when you dont have any seat time in a highly modified rig.  Id like to see him have a rig linked both front and rear running 16" SAW coilovers some day but at the present time it doesnt make much sense.

So Paul do you always try to recomend link setups to kids in HS that have bone stock rigs and want to gain some offroad ability?  Baby steps make a driver, leaps and bounds make a jackass wheeler.

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2005, 01:22:15 PM »
lets all just CHILLLLLL and have a  :beer:
Im an OG

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2005, 01:53:28 PM »

Im not trying to discourage him because I cant build a link setup, Im discouraging him because it would be severely impractical in his application.  There is no real reason to go from stock straight to link when you dont have any seat time in a highly modified rig.  Id like to see him have a rig linked both front and rear running 16" SAW coilovers some day but at the present time it doesnt make much sense.

So Paul do you always try to recomend link setups to kids in HS that have bone stock rigs and want to gain some offroad ability?  Baby steps make a driver, leaps and bounds make a jackass wheeler.

im not recommending it or discouraging it, but you said by the time you get it setup to work properly off road its junk on the street, or vice versa.   i dont understand why youre saying that since youve never built one or have seen one that works? your just repeating heresay you got off the internet somewhere or making an uneducated guess?  either way im not trying to be an ass, i just dont agree :beerchug:
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
You are correct Paul, what can I say I was tired.  I just came across wrong.  What I should have said is that it is difficult to get the linkage set correctly.  Ive seen your buildups and you have a very strong grasp on the setups, and you make them work very well.  One of these days Ill end up building a linked rig that will be both on road and off since I drive everything I build daily unless it severly busted.  When that day comes Im sure Ill be asking you lots of qestions.  Here have a :beer: on me.

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »
hey 86 if ya actually want to do this i have all the info and research you need so just pm me cause i got all the info on where the best stuff is and I can get whole sale prices on almost anything except shocks. and e-mail shortbus if ya got q's
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2005, 04:06:05 PM »
I am going to be building a 4 link on my project buggy in a little while.  But i don't know that much baout building the links.  If it were going to be a street driven vehicle i wouldn't be doing this becasue it could be unsafe.  But since it will be a trail only rig it it going to be trial and error.

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2005, 05:04:13 PM »
it was a little i dea i had lying around but for now im gonna be cheap and get some springs under there. when the time comes it will be linked
Im an OG

KustomKhaos

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Without rules.... There is KHAOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2005, 09:19:34 PM »
I have a 90 4runner and as we all know it comes with the BS 4link. I have extended the lowers 28'' and mouted them under the frame rail. I ditched the uppers and made a single 1 1/4'' solid steel link with 30,000 lb heim joints witch run from the center of the pumkin up to the factory crossmember. I plated and braced the crossmember for added strength. I also relocated the rear shocks for more travel. When drooped I can set another 36'' swamper on top of my 36's and still have fender clearence. The truck looks broken when it is flexing it flexs so much. This truck is my daily driver and weekend worrior. I currently have leafs in the front witch are my weak point at this time. I am working on a triangular set up for the front so I can get the front to work as well as the rear. The key to a street driven link rig is in the swaybars, if you have them great but you need quick discos, and if you don't have them hold on cause every corner you turn is an adventure.   

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2005, 08:08:03 PM »
I have a 90 4runner and as we all know it comes with the BS 4link. I have extended the lowers 28'' and mouted them under the frame rail. I ditched the uppers and made a single 1 1/4'' solid steel link with 30,000 lb heim joints witch run from the center of the pumkin up to the factory crossmember. I plated and braced the crossmember for added strength. I also relocated the rear shocks for more travel. When drooped I can set another 36'' swamper on top of my 36's and still have fender clearence. The truck looks broken when it is flexing it flexs so much. This truck is my daily driver and weekend worrior. I currently have leafs in the front witch are my weak point at this time. I am working on a triangular set up for the front so I can get the front to work as well as the rear. The key to a street driven link rig is in the swaybars, if you have them great but you need quick discos, and if you don't have them hold on cause every corner you turn is an adventure.   

the key to a link system that doesnt flop onto its side on a corner is in the design, a tall roll axis and outboarded shocks work wonders
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto