Author Topic: A "snake oil" Audio product that works  (Read 4469 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
A "snake oil" Audio product that works
« on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »
Last Monday I stopped by the local high end audio store to compare speaker wires.  In the end I determined that the $2,000 speaker wires do indeed sound better than the $7 ones that I has purchased at the hardware store for comparison, but I still can't justify spending that much money on wire.  When I told the salesman the amount I would likely be willing to spend on that type of an upgrade he told me to save my money or spend the money on something else.

His recommendation was a set of Nordost Sort Kones placed under my CD player.  I had heard a demo previously with this product on a system worth far more than mine and wasn't blown away even though I could hear a small difference.  The salesman assured me that I could return them if I wasn't satisfied.  The supports are supposed to drain the internal electrical vibration from components keeping it from getting into the audio signal.  I don't claim to understand the theory or even believe that the description is correct, but they do seem to make a nice difference on my stereo for an investment about 100 times less than the speaker wire upgrade.

If you care about audiophile sound and have a single disk CD player, give them a try.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: A "snake oil" Audio product that works
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »
a single disk CD player, give them a try.

Why wouldn't it work with a multi disc?
Time to go wheelin!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »
$2,000 speaker wires

Surely you jest. That's an exaggeration...right!

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »

Surely you jest. That's an exaggeration...right!

Nope, I'm pretty sure the salesman/owner picked them thinking that I just might take a pair home to go with my existing system.  They were hooked to a $10k integrated amp and "cheap" $1,500 speakers.

Their top speaker room currently has a set of speakers that retail for $180k and I think the next set down, that just arrived, go for something like $130k.  They had $38k speaker cables in that room the last time I asked.

Needless to say, it fun to listen and always sound amazing.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
Mudmaster - It might work great on a multi-disk player, but all the additional moving parts and the fact that it's designed for convience rather than sound quality makes it a bit of a paradox.

I have a multi-disk player but only use it for backgroud music.  My single disk player has a mode that shuts down all digital circuitry to eliminate any interference in the audio signal.  This feature even shuts the front display off.

The saleman think that the sort kones make a $500 CD player sound like a $5,000 CD player.  I have not done enough listening to agree or diasgree with him.  All I know is that my $500 player sounds much better with than without.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »
Should be able to make your own speaker cables with large gauge fine strand copper cable a lot cheaper................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »
I dont think Ive put a cd in my stereo in like 2 years, with a ipod hookup, and one for my phone that has pandora, no point in cds
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
Blackdiamond, no offense, but I couldn't justify spending the $$ you have in a system.  But it's your $$. 

As for the speaker wire your talking about, it must be made of gold, since gold is the best conductor.  And that is the only way I could justify the cost of it.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

dntsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
    • My 3.4 swap into a 92 pickup
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:49:15 AM »
I worked in the audio business for years and honestly I think that these ultra high end cables and wires are similar to when a 6 year old gets new shoes and they can run faster and jump higher.

While the performance is better than the ultra cheapo cables that come with a DVD player, etc, a $500 cable isnt going to warrant a noticeable sound difference to 99% of the human ears.

I would MUCH rather throw my money into components that WILL be observable.
92 Toyota x-cab, 3.4 swapped, R150 5 speed, 2.8/4.7 SAS
My 3.4 swap http://www.yotatech.com/f160/had-officially-began-3-0-auto-3-4-manual-92-ex-cab-196823/

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2010, 09:47:32 PM »
Blackdiamond, no offense, but I couldn't justify spending the $$ you have in a system.  But it's your $$.

I probably have more money in my system than many, but I think the majority of my money has been spent on very clear upgrades that anyone can appreciate.  Almost the entire investment came from the first four months of this year when I was forced to work a ton of overtime.  I believe in getting toys with overtime whenever possible.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2010, 05:10:40 AM »
My cassette player to ipod converter cost me $10.00 at Wallyworld, I'm happy. :wave:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
X2  :qtip:
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »
My cassette player to ipod converter cost me $10.00 at Wallyworld, I'm happy. :wave:

You been peeking in my truck?  :eek:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen