Author Topic: Knuckle Service Kit  (Read 3515 times)

waskillywabbit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
Knuckle Service Kit
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:03:40 PM »
"Includes all the standard knuckle service parts: wipers, felts, gaskets, lock washers, inner axle & bearing seals, hub gaskets, knuckle shims, and knuckle bearings. Made in Japan and features Koyo bearings. Fits 79-85 Pickup/4Runner, FJ40, FJ55, FJ60 & FJ-62. Kit does not include wheel bearings. Kit covers both left and right sides."

Okay, I've read Roger Brown's front axle rebuild and I have the FSM, so I'm not worried about the mechanics of actually doing it, I got that covered.  I just want to make sure I have all my parts covered so I can get this done in a Saturday and not have any "uh-ohs".

I need the above Knuckle Service Kit from Marlin; I am reading that right that it covers BOTH sides????  Any bolts come with that kit or do I need some of those from the dealer too as I have a couple to get out as they were sheared off by the previous owner.  The "inexpensive" spring tensioner for testing pre-load (fish scale) and some wheel bearings from the dealer (or upon second look Marlin has those too).  Besides all the necessary tools and accessories, anything I'm missing?

Anyone got any experiential advice and comments on the Marlin kits?

What about a spindle stud kit I've read about?

:yupyup:
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2004, 07:25:18 PM by waskillywabbit »

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: Knuckle Service Kit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:57:35 PM »
Comes with everything but the broken bolts/studs that you have. Get those ahead of time.
Grease, ultra black rtv, hub nut socket, and a good brass drift are all I can think of that are extra that you might need. (use the brass drift and a hammer to smack the end of the hub studs to get the cone washers to pop out.) Oh ya, snap ring pliers too.
And a bunch of rags.
You don't need a spindle stud kit, unless you have money you don't know what to do with.
Good luck and enjoy the greasy, oily mess!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:11:24 PM »
And check to make sure all your steering arm studs are tight!  I have seen way tomany break on the trail becasue of loose studs.  Last memorial on the rubicon we counted about 6 toys with broken studs and no steering.    :o

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:12:29 PM »
Comes with everything but the broken bolts/studs that you have. Get those ahead of time.
Grease, ultra black rtv, hub nut socket, and a good brass drift are all I can think of that are extra that you might need. (use the brass drift and a hammer to smack the end of the hub studs to get the cone washers to pop out.) Oh ya, snap ring pliers too.
And a bunch of rags.
You don't need a spindle stud kit, unless you have money you don't know what to do with.
Good luck and enjoy the greasy, oily mess!

Yeah, I have torn the front axle apart once already to put in the ARB and Longfields and I have all the necessary tools and extras, just want to make sure I'm not missing something...and no...I don't have any money that I don't know what to do with!  :hammerhead:

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:13:38 PM »
And check to make sure all your steering arm studs are tight!  I have seen way tomany break on the trail becasue of loose studs.  Last memorial on the rubicon we counted about 6 toys with broken studs and no steering.    :o

Thanks.  I have a torque wrench too!  :beerchug:

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:32:31 PM »
The best thing to do is take it all apart and do a full inspection. Then purchase any broken parts and put it all back together. Wheel bearing, nuts and bolts can all be damaged if not properly cared for.

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:35:54 AM »
The best thing to do is take it all apart and do a full inspection. Then purchase any broken parts and put it all back together. Wheel bearing, nuts and bolts can all be damaged if not properly cared for.

I don't have the time/luxury of breaking it down and inspecting it and then ordering parts. I'll need them on site to r/r while I'm in process.

So it looks like I need:

Knuckle rebuild kit
Wheel bearing kit (2) one for each side
Spring tool
Extra set of front axle seals (trail spares)

Chris, anything else to totally rebuild the front axle?

Email/PM me the details and pricing total and I'll order in a few days to a week.

Bob Garrett

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Lone Star Land Cruisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:10:33 AM »
Be sure to not lose the two cover plates (the ones that hold the rubber and felt seals in place) and the metal ring. I tossed mine in the trash as the Toyota kit for the 80 series LC includes them, but the kit for the mini-truck does not!  :(

Bob
Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
83 Mini Truck