Author Topic: Mexican Pirates Kill American at Border  (Read 4491 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Mexican Pirates Kill American at Border
« on: Oct 01, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/01/national/main6917510.shtml

(CBS/AP)  Updated at 5:10 a.m. Eastern.

An American tourist was shot in the back of the head in Mexican waters on Thursday after being ambushed by armed boaters, a Texas sheriff said. It happened near the U.S. boundary of a lake where run-ins with pirates already had fishermen and Texas officials on alert.

Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez identified the victim as David Michael Hartley, 30. Hartley and his wife were riding personal watercrafts back from Mexico on Falcon Lake when about six gunmen approached in two boats, Gonzalez said. The sheriff said Hartley was shot as the couple sped away at the sight of the boaters.

What happened to Hartley was unclear. Gonzalez said the man's wife tried circling back to pull him from the water, but she was forced to retreat to U.S. waters after being fired upon again.

"They saw them approaching and started revving it up back to the U.S. side," Gonzalez said. "The guys just started shooting at them from behind."

Gonzalez said he has contacted the Mexican consulate and asked them to look for the man. He said there was nothing else he could do.

The Zapata County Sheriff's office tells CBSNews.com the search was put on hold as night fell, but was expected to resume at first light. The Sheriff's office was being aided in its investigation by U.S. Border Patrol agents and Game Wardens, reports CBS affiliate Action 4 News.

The Game Warden's office was the only U.S. agency providing boats in the search effort, according to the sheriff's office.

One of the boats may have crossed the U.S. side of the lake to fire at the woman, said Mike Cox, a spokesman for the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department. The shooting renewed warnings of pirates on Falcon Lake, which is about 60 miles down the border from Laredo and is popular with water skiers and bass fishing.

Earlier this year, several fishermen were robbed at gunpoint on the lake's Mexican side. In those holdups, authorities say the gunmen traveled in the low-slung, underpowered commercial Mexican fishing boats that are familiar in the area. They asked for money, drugs and guns, and took what cash was available, but no one was hurt.

Hartley and his wife moved to McAllen, Texas, from the Mexican border city of Reynosa about five months ago and had planned to returned to their native Colorado in two weeks, Gonzalez said. Gonzalez said Hartley worked in the oil business.

Reynosa has been beset recently with warring drug cartels and Mexican authorities, but Gonzalez said he believed the shooting was a random attack. He has previously chalked up the dangerous waters as the product of fighting between rival Mexican drug gangs.

"I would think that, right now, the prudent boater would want to stay on the Texas side," Cox said Thursday.

Authorities said the shooting happened about 2:45 p.m. Gonzalez said the couple never spoke to the gunmen, and the woman raced her watercraft to the shores of the first lakeside homes she could reach and asked for help. He said they had ridden over to Mexico for sightseeing and to take photos of a famous church in Old Guerrero.

That is identical to what five boaters did in April when authorities say they were approached by men who identified themselves as "Federales" and asked for drugs. Those boaters handed over $200 before the pirates chased them back to U.S. waters.

Violence on the Mexican side of the lake has been climbing for several months, as a fractured partnership between the region's dominant Gulf Cartel and its former enforcers, the Zetas, plunged many of the area's Mexican border cities into violence.

Falcon Lake is a dammed section of the Rio Grande that straddles the border. The border is marked by 14 partially submerged concrete towers that mark the Rio Grande's path before the lake was created in 1954.

The border is starting to sound like a fun place to go vacation. Bring your rods, about 10k rounds, few dozen rifles...
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Pirates Kill American at Border
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »
And bring a few dozen friends too  :thumbs:  Sucks that this crap happens, especially that they just shot him in the back of the head  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2010, 12:50:24 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/01/national/main6917510.shtml

The border is starting to sound like a fun place to go vacation. Bring your rods, about 10k rounds, few dozen rifles...

x2  thats rediculous.  i hope they get what they have coming to them before anyone else gets hurt by these idiots

:shake_head:
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
And bring a few dozen friends too  :thumbs:  Sucks that this crap happens, especially that they just shot him in the back of the head  :shake:

What is even sadder about it, is the guy and his wife probably had ZERO $$$ or any worthy posessions on them... they were jetskiing for Fs sake. Guy died for no reason...

x2  thats rediculous.  i hope they get what they have coming to them before anyone else gets hurt by these idiots

:shake_head:

Its getting pretty bad. If I lived there, Id be armed and on the lake with a bunch of buddies every freakin' day. Since its obvious no one else is doing anything about it...
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I say we nuke em  :stomp:
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »
I have an exceptionally low opinion of mexico...getting lower with each passing year that I live so close. mexico is an opening running sore on the butt of the world. I wish people would spend half the time fixing mexico as they do trying to justify illegal immigration.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
I wish people would spend half the time fixing mexico as they do trying to justify illegal immigration.

Agreed.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

skrape

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
Q-ship time

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
I have an exceptionally low opinion of mexico...getting lower with each passing year that I live so close. mexico is an opening running sore on the butt of the world. I wish people would spend half the time fixing mexico as they do trying to justify illegal immigration.

Why fix Mexico if we can just take em all in?  :shake:

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2010, 04:38:35 PM »
x2 A-MEN

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
They don't seem to care about Mexicans killing Americans on their side of the border, I wouldn't be to worried about it.

here he was saying he would sit on "our" side and defend.
BS, I read in the news 2 hunters accidently crossed into mexico, with 2 bolt action rifles and got busted for trafficiking firearms.
Anything over a 32 cal considered a military weapon too.

here is where you were misunderstood and started to rattle off your mouth!!!
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:45:30 PM »
here he was saying he would sit on "our" side and defend.
here is where you were misunderstood and started to rattle off your mouth!!!

THANK YOU.  :clap:  :gap:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »
Holy crap jerry, let it go! 

Nick, wanna do some bass fishing dangerously close to the border?!  I hear dove hunting is insanely good down toward mexico, probably some similar options as well  :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Holy crap jerry, let it go! 

Nick, wanna do some bass fishing dangerously close to the border?!  I hear dove hunting is insanely good down toward mexico, probably some similar options as well  :yesnod:

I'm down Nate, let me grab a few ammo cans, my guns and my poles. :gap:

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
i hear it is better in groups of threes. we can take turns spotting with a rifle while the other two have there backs turned. safety first ya know?
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2010, 01:01:55 AM »
:yupyup:  sounds like a plan, but I envision multiple similar bass boats nearby too  ;)
RIP KYOTA

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
Im gonna borrow a 50 cal and mount it on my bass boat and go to town.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Oct 02, 2010, 05:13:50 AM »
Lost my desire to go even close to the border let alone go into Mexico, can't wait till all this spills into the U.S. to see what our federal govt. does. Probably stand by and do nothing just as they are currently doing.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
I do not get this at all. The same exact thing was happening in Iraq and we choose to go over. Same thing hapening in mexico bullets are always flying from warez in to hellpaso(elpaso). Only thing mexico has not done yet is flew planes in to our bulidings everything else is 100% the same as Iraq. Yet they don't do nothing. I say let all the gun toting hillbillys get tags to hunt the drug cartel pirates in mexico unlimted heads.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »
can't wait till all this spills into the U.S. to see what our federal govt. does.

Oh, they'll do something.  They'll form committees and subcommittees, waste a ton of time and a shitton of money, then eventually determine that the mexican government is too sensitive and unstable for us to do anything.
RIP KYOTA