Author Topic: Baby Drowns in Off-Road Crash, Dad Arrested for DUI  (Read 7046 times)

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Baby Drowns in Off-Road Crash, Dad Arrested for DUI
« on: Sep 07, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
http://www.ktla.com/news/local/ktla-baby-drowns-mojave,0,3415002.story

Saw this on the news this morning. A Dad was driving an 87 samurai offroad that rolled over in 9 feet of water. His 16 month old drowned. The dad was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and driving under the influence. Vary sad to hear, the guy lost his child and is going to jail. Yet another example of why not to drink and drive on or offroad.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
wow thats really sad to hear that why i gave up drinking 100% kids are way better then a beer well when there young
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
http://www.ktla.com/news/local/ktla-baby-drowns-mojave,0,3415002.story

Saw this on the news this morning. A Dad was driving an 87 samurai offroad that rolled over in 9 feet of water. His 16 month old drowned. The dad was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and driving under the influence. Vary sad to hear, the guy lost his child and is going to jail. Yet another example of why not to drink and drive on or offroad.
exactly  :(
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Sometimes people just don't think, not only drinking but trying to cross deep water.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

IMMUDDY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
What is the reasoning behind him welding the doors shut on his Sami?
If I hit it just right, I might make it.

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Wondering the same thing. Watching too much Dukes of Hazzard I guess.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Sometimes people just don't think, not only drinking but trying to cross deep water.

He wasn't trying to cross deep water. He was driving over a spillway. There is a section that gets off camber and is very loose sand (he still had plenty of room to get around that if he hadn't been drunk).. The sami got nose into the soft sand and rolled off the edge (8-10 ft up) and into the water. In my opinion dad deserves whatewver punishment he gets. Drunk driving and endangering yourself is one thing...putting your 18 month old in the car with you is just being an a$$.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Watching too much Dukes of Hazzard I guess.

Is it even possible watch too much?  :gap:

Seriously, there is no reasonable excuse for drinking and driving...anything. I can not imagine anything worse than killing my child or any child for that matter.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
vert sad but what was the bac? it said he was crossing hi water why

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
This is the place where it happened :   http://www.youtube.com/v/g1PP_Ti17xQ?version=3
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video. Shows how it goes from shallow to really deep fast. Luckly no one was hurt that time.

pk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
I yelled at a guy driving drunk on the Con last year at MCR8.  Just about got my ass kicked by a bunch drunks watching.  I don't even think the drunk even heard me.  He was crashing into things and whatnot.  Could have easily drove over top of someone in a tent.  But is it worth getting the beat down by 50 other drunks to try and disable the rig?  What would you do in this situation?

pk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video. Shows how it goes from shallow to really deep fast. Luckly no one was hurt that time.
  Did you see them pulling the baby out of the rig when it was sinking?  Doooood!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
first of all who in their right mind takes an 18mo old wheeling!!! put that idiot in a ward! that is just plain ignorant and stupid. even if he didnt flip it and kill his kid and he drove home safe... I would of yanked that baby from him quicker then piss. he deserves to rot in a pen. if they cant legally & safely sit in the front any car.. they should not be on any trail. period. thats my opinion.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Ahem, the 1st time I took my son wheeling he was 3 mos. I don't see a problem with that.  Driving drunk with a child of any age, on or offroad I'd have a problem.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

toygasm

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
sad to hear the news.i know a few...knew a few guys that didnt make it home from wheelin trips because of alcohol.pretty lame how something so fun can end up so tragic.i feel bad for the guy.i think of how many times we cheated death while wheelin under the influence.i quit drinkin after my best friend died.kinda takes the fun out of it.that spill way looks like a cool place to hang out.looks like it can get ugly in a hurry.any deeper and the little kid in the cj video might have been in trouble.you dont need alcohol to get into an ugly situation wheelin.think twice and keep er rubber side down...unless im there with a camera!lol!!                  

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
first of all who in their right mind takes an 18mo old wheeling!!! put that idiot in a ward! that is just plain ignorant and stupid. even if he didnt flip it and kill his kid and he drove home safe... I would of yanked that baby from him quicker then piss. he deserves to rot in a pen. if they cant legally & safely sit in the front any car.. they should not be on any trail. period. thats my opinion.

I plan on taking my baby on the trail - but only with the proper safety equipment and I don't plan on being intoxicated. I don't see a problem with taking babies/children wheeling, but the parents have to be responsible about it and ensure that all safety precautions are met. IE: capable rig with cage, carseat securely strapped in and child strapped into the carseat, and staying SOBER. 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I plan on taking my baby on the trail - but only with the proper safety equipment and I don't plan on being intoxicated. I don't see a problem with taking babies/children wheeling, but the parents have to be responsible about it and ensure that all safety precautions are met. IE: capable rig with cage, carseat securely strapped in and child strapped into the carseat, and staying SOBER. 

You're like mature and responsible or somethin'.

It's a shame that common sense is no longer common.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
You're like mature and responsible or somethin'.

It's a shame that common sense is no longer common.

Good point  :disturbed: I have a hard enough time with drinking around kids in general - much less when wheeling  :ack:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Ive seen ppl take their babies/ kids on the trail. I have a problem with it when they try to drive up a trail and you see the kid bouncing around in their seats. They dont have the muscle strength to handle that. Esp in the neck.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
I agree that babies should not be on the trail, getting to the campsite is fine but caution has to be used.  :yesnod: I don't mind taking my kids now but the youngest excluding the baby is 8. The little one doesn't get to participate for a while.  :rivers:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile

I have been taking both of my kids on the trail since they were months old . I would love to see you try and yank ANYONE's kid from them  :yupyup:  . . . . . . One day when you're not the kid anymore and have kids of your own , you will see things differently  :therethere:  . . . . . . I have so many mixed feelings about this accident . For a few days I watched Hunter (the father) get attacked on a number of forums and I asked people to rethink their thoughts on this guy , we don't know the conditions in which he was in on that horrible moment of panic . I will be the first to say it's horrible that his stupid choice left his son lifeless , but I can't imagine what it's like waking up in jail , knowing your stupid mistake just landed you a few years in prison , and more importantly and sad , ended your baby boy's life . . . . I have read multiple different versions of the story and the truth is nobody knows exactly how it happened but the 3 people involved .  
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 12:07:28 AM by iNfErNaL »

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Oh and BTW , I only called you a kid because you're "That Hoe Kid"    :beerchug:     

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Well when I started taking mine out like I said he was 3 mos. I am fully aware of the fact that his body muscles were not fully developed and he was wedged it his car seat like a pack of sardines in a can. The only thing he could do was look straight ahead. I'm with Pepe on trying to yank a child out of any vehicle, I'd feel no remorse if someone tried that with me, without going into details of why I may have to consider remorse I think you get the point.....

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I have been taking both of my kids on the trail since they were months old . I would love to see you try and yank ANYONE's kid from them  :yupyup:  . . . . . . One day when you're not the kid anymore and have kids of your own , you will see things differently  :therethere:  . . . . . . I have so many mixed feelings about this accident . For a few days I watched Hunter (the father) get attacked on a number of forums and I asked people to rethink their thoughts on this guy , we don't know the conditions in which he was in on that horrible moment of panic . I will be the first to say it's horrible that his stupid choice left his son lifeless , but I can't imagine what it's like waking up in jail , knowing your stupid mistake just landed you a few years in prison , and more importantly and sad , ended your baby boy's life . . . . I have read multiple different versions of the story and the truth is nobody knows exactly how it happened but the 3 people involved .  

I have a 4mo old son of my own and i feel this way because I am a major safety nazi when it comes to babies. I am extremely paranoid. I cant imagine how he feels and I feel for him in that sense, I just really have strong feelings against bringing a baby into the elements and "woods" until they can walk, and wheeling I just cant imagine taking my son yet. I'd be so scared, and wouldnt be able to live with myself if anything happened. So I cringe when I see others do it. I wouldnt even dare taking my 3yr old niece or nephew yet. These are only my own opinions.... to each their own.

Oh and BTW , I only called you a kid because you're "That Hoe Kid"    :beerchug:      

No hard feelings :beerchug:

Well when I started taking mine out like I said he was 3 mos. I am fully aware of the fact that his body muscles were not fully developed and he was wedged it his car seat like a pack of sardines in a can. The only thing he could do was look straight ahead. I'm with Pepe on trying to yank a child out of any vehicle, I'd feel no remorse if someone tried that with me, without going into details of why I may have to consider remorse I think you get the point.....

I agree, I was merely making a point, more then actually doing so... if that makes sense.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I have a 4mo old son of my own and i feel this way because I am a major safety nazi when it comes to babies. I am extremely paranoid. I cant imagine how he feels and I feel for him in that sense, I just really have strong feelings against bringing a baby into the elements and "woods" until they can walk, and wheeling I just cant imagine taking my son yet. I'd be so scared, and wouldnt be able to live with myself if anything happened. So I cringe when I see others do it. I wouldnt even dare taking my 3yr old niece or nephew yet. These are only my own opinions.... to each their own.

Must be your 1st, once you find out how plyable they are you stop worring so much, as to the 3 yr olds, mine was driving (kinda) a samurai at 3 yrs. Sure he couldn't touch the pedals but with the Klune V and a 6.5 tcase he was having a blast at 2 feet a minute :rofl:

I agree, I was merely making a point, more then actually doing so... if that makes sense.

So was I. :gap:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
1st one yes :] I'm sure I will loosen up on the idea.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I figured that, pop that bubble you got him in and let him free. :rofl:

Some of the pics I have of him scaling vertical walls and on top of boulders would scare the crap out of you. At five he walked the entire Rubicon, said he just wanted to walk rather than ride.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
O well enough of that this thread is about something else.