Author Topic: Crawling in Alaska?  (Read 3471 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Crawling in Alaska?
« on: Dec 25, 2004, 02:55:24 AM »
A friend of mine came back from Alaska and says that a duel crawler setup is not necessary for Alaskan trails. Does anyone out there know if this is true? I have seen pictures and I know that a winch and good mud tires are a must, however I want to rock crawl and he says there isnt much. What the hek????    :confused:

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

greengo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Offroad
Re: Crawling in Alaska?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2004, 03:07:10 PM »
i lived in fairbanks for the past three years. it all depends on what your into. where i was at there wasnt much rock crawling so to say, but down south there are some rocky trails. where i was at id say a crawler box would of been good to have. good for being able to stay on top of the snow. as for summer wheeling, it would of been great to have just for the control, and there were some steep climbs where i would bog down in just low. there is a lot of mud, just about every trail you go on in the summer your gonna hit some sort of mud. but i would say a crawler box (2.28x2.28) would be good to have, but an ultimate crawler (2.28x4.7) set up may be over kill. we had three guys in our club that had low gears, on zuki with 5.1's, a jeep with a klune-v, and a yota with an ultimate krawler set up. they always seemed to have the most fun and be able to go just about anywhere they wanted.
heres a couple of links to alaska wheeling forums. i know theres a few yota guys in each of these forums so just ask around. hope this helps.
first one based out of fairbanks. http://www.arcticoffroad.com/modules.php?name=Forums
second based out of anchorage. http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/ikonboard.cgi?s=22b50b0ab9ffac5b5720d32fdbc2e172&
and last alaska in general. http://www.alaska4x4network.com/index.php?
"No Habla Jeep"

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:26:28 PM »
Thanks for the info greengo.  I cant wait to get up there, I arrive around june so the weather should be pretty warm. I suppose I am going to have to fix my dying heater motor.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2004, 12:28:31 AM »
What's up Luke?....You moving to Alaska?.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

greengo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Offroad
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:59:33 AM »
What's up Luke?....You moving to Alaska?.
yeah which part are you moving to, are you in the military? either way deffinatly get that heater fixed, and you may want to switch all your fluids to synthetic, and get it winterized (block heater, battery heater and oil pan heater) before your first winter, if your gonna be there that long. good luck and just pm me if you have any other types of questions. kory
"No Habla Jeep"

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 02:30:58 AM »
hey Peps, Yeah I got orders to Alaska, I move there June 10th. Im not too excited about the cold weather but I cant wait to go fishing and wheeling up there. Are we still on for wheeling in March?

Yeah Kory I will be there for a few years atleast, I have the feeling im going to really love it up there, everyone else who goes seems to. Thanks for the advise on winterizing my truck. I already am running synthetics, however I do not have a block heater etc.... I plan on buying a house with a garage hopefully which should help but I know right now its about -15 or so up there.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:35:22 AM »
Whatup Luke?...Yeah,it's still on for March,it's the first weekend.I'll let you know closer to the date,but it'll be awesome!...I'll PM you..................................................Peace.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com