Author Topic: 1Gen Tundra - A.D.D to manual xfer case swap  (Read 6563 times)

dyogim

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
1Gen Tundra - A.D.D to manual xfer case swap
« on: Aug 01, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
I've been working on this project since january of this year.  Lot's of stuff has happened that delayed the project but, in the end I've been able to make it happen. Main goal is to swap out the stock ADD transfer case from my 2000 tundra V8 and install a manual transfer case from taco.  I've been having issues with the 4LO gear.  I'm able to engage 4HI but, not go into the 4LO.  I believe the actuator at the transfer case is what's causing the problem.  So instead of spending money I don't have on a lefty xfer case, I located a couple of donor stock xfer cases from a taco.

Swap of the xfer case is pretty much complete.  I still need a shifter knob, a console to hide the cut up carpet and replace connectors to match for the 4HI and 4LO senosr connectors.  Here are some pics of the swap.

Starting on the left: tundra stock xfer case, taco xfer case i recently acquired, rebuilt xfer case with bad shifter.

Beer break, Great White from Lost Coast Brewery.

Bearing puller tool I used to separate the coupler from the input shaft.

Tundra auto coupler left, taco auto coupler right.

Drilled a hole to locate the start of the shifter opening.  Used a sabre saw and a sawzall to cut the opening.

Speed sensor.  Tundra auto on the left.

Shifter access complete.

Manual xfer case mounted

Everything bolted up from underneath.  4LO, 4HI and ADD connectors hanging.  Need to replace the connectors to allow the connection to the taco sensors.  ADD setup will later be removed.

Shifter installed.  Need to find a shifter boot and knob to complete the swap.

Otherwise, everything works.  Need to get use to shifting gears in park and/or nuetral.

Now I need to test everything all long with the winch. :devil:

jpcj8sbc

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1Gen Tundra - A.D.D to manual xfer case swap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »
Glad I found this post...just answered a question I posted about replacing my t-case. I thought there were 2 different cases but above you show that there is a coupler on the input shaft. I thought that one case had a female output and another had a male....man do I feel stupid!

Northboundtundra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Northbound Tundra
    • View Profile
Re: 1Gen Tundra - A.D.D to manual xfer case swap
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
I've been working on this project since january of this year.  Lot's of stuff has happened that delayed the project but, in the end I've been able to make it happen. Main goal is to swap out the stock ADD transfer case from my 2000 tundra V8 and install a manual transfer case from taco.  I've been having issues with the 4LO gear.  I'm able to engage 4HI but, not go into the 4LO.  I believe the actuator at the transfer case is what's causing the problem.  So instead of spending money I don't have on a lefty xfer case, I located a couple of donor stock xfer cases from a taco.

Swap of the xfer case is pretty much complete.  I still need a shifter knob, a console to hide the cut up carpet and replace connectors to match for the 4HI and 4LO senosr connectors.  Here are some pics of the swap.

Starting on the left: tundra stock xfer case, taco xfer case i recently acquired, rebuilt xfer case with bad shifter.

Beer break, Great White from Lost Coast Brewery.

Bearing puller tool I used to separate the coupler from the input shaft.

Tundra auto coupler left, taco auto coupler right.

Drilled a hole to locate the start of the shifter opening.  Used a sabre saw and a sawzall to cut the opening.

Speed sensor.  Tundra auto on the left.

Shifter access complete.

Manual xfer case mounted

Everything bolted up from underneath.  4LO, 4HI and ADD connectors hanging.  Need to replace the connectors to allow the connection to the taco sensors.  ADD setup will later be removed.

Shifter installed.  Need to find a shifter boot and knob to complete the swap.

Otherwise, everything works.  Need to get use to shifting gears in park and/or nuetral.

Now I need to test everything all long with the winch. :devil:

Did you get the dash indicator to work after you did this?
2001 A/C Tundra with 2UZFE v8 and R150F 5spd manual transmission swap