Author Topic: Dumb Newbie Round-Up questions  (Read 4483 times)

Air Randy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Dumb Newbie Round-Up questions
« on: Jul 14, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
Hey everyone, I am going to the round-up this year and it will be my first trip to the Rubicon trail.  I've read through everything here on the official round-up site, read a lot of trail guides, and I still hve some questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

I'm trailering out from Denver.  I have a full size Dodge with a pop-up camper we'll be staying in along the way.  I'm trailering a fairly well built mini truck that is licensed and street legal.

Q1-Which end of the trail and trailhead will the MC round-up start from?

Q2-We expect to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon.  What campground would you recommend we stay in?

Q3-Keeping in mind my rig is street legal, would we be better off staying at a campground near the exit of the trail?  If so, how long of a drive is it around to the starting point?  Can you recommend any campgrounds on that end?  I'm OK with leaving my truck and trailer in the campground while were on the trail to make sure it is safe and we have a camp ready to go to when we come off the trail on Sunday.

In reading through some of the threads I've seen reference to the "chalet", what is that?

Maybe it will be in the registration packet but is there a drivers meeting or meet up place and time on Friday morning?
85 mini truck crawler, 74 FJ40, 69 FJ40 Buggy

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Dumb Newbie Round-Up questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
Hey everyone, I am going to the round-up this year and it will be my first trip to the Rubicon trail.
NICE!!! I look forward to meeting ya! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Q1-Which end of the trail and trailhead will the MC round-up start from?
We prefer everyone to begin from the Loon Lake side to run the trail in it's traditional North-bound direction. This is to ensure that everyone gains the best experience from the event and gets to see as much of the trail as possible. That being said, however, the Round Up does not have an "official" starting location. There are a few clubs that get together to form groups that go in together, but officially speaking there is no starting point for the event. Basically, the main objective is to reach the Springs campground before 5pm Saturday for dinner. If you are unfamiliar with the trail, the Springs campground is about 70-75% through the trail, being closer to the Lake Tahoe side. Also there is plenty of tow rig parking on both ends of the trail. The trail is traditionally ran in the northern direction (starting at Loon Lake) however people who do not have as much time or supplies often opt to enter the Springs campground from the Lake Tahoe side. As for a time comparison, Loon to the Springs campground takes about 8-12 hours, or Lake Tahoe to the Springs campground takes about 2-4 hours (both estimates depending on traffic, your pace, your luck, etcetera, however many have experienced taking over 12 hours to reach the Springs from Loon). I always say if you are able to get to the trail by Wed or Thurs, then go in from Loon and enjoy the beautiful trail with low traffic, or if you are only able to get to the trail by late Friday or Sat. morning, then definitely enter from the Tahoe Side so you don't miss dinner!

Q2-We expect to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon.  What campground would you recommend we stay in?
We send out directions and a list of accommodations in the area with every Round Up registration. In general, there is a KOA campground in Placerville (530 676-2267), Auburn Gold County RV Park in Auburn (530 885-0990), Motel 6, Super 8, National 9 Inn, Days In So. Lake Tahoe, Harvey's Resort & Casion at Stateline, NV, Quality Inn & Suites, and Holiday In Express in South Lake Tahoe, etcetera.

Q3-Keeping in mind my rig is street legal, would we be better off staying at a campground near the exit of the trail?  If so, how long of a drive is it around to the starting point?  Can you recommend any campgrounds on that end?  I'm OK with leaving my truck and trailer in the campground while were on the trail to make sure it is safe and we have a camp ready to go to when we come off the trail on Sunday.
That is a good idea, especially considering the improved security available at a campground. The KOA in Placerville is about 27 miles south of Ice House Rd and Highway 50, and Auburn Gold County RV Park is about 37 miles south. Sorry I don't have any info regarding camp sites on the Lake Tahoe side.

In reading through some of the threads I've seen reference to the "chalet", what is that?
I think this is just another name for "staging area". The El Dorado Forest Service has installed parking areas with public toilets that resembles a type of forest villa. You can find more on this here http://www.rubicontrail.org/rubicontrail/parking.asp.

Maybe it will be in the registration packet but is there a drivers meeting or meet up place and time on Friday morning?
We have talked about setting up scheduled runs to help cope with traffic on the trail, however at this time it doesn't look like this will happen. If this changes I will update this thread. It may have to wait until MCR10 for fully scheduled runs.

These are all really great questions, please let me know if my responses didn't quite fill the void or if you have additional questions :thumbs:

Hope to see ya there!
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

1lilrasz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »

Here is more info on the Chalet
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/cabins/loonchalet/

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
defently not dumb i was going to ask the same thing once it got closer to the round up...

heres my question is there a both or something that we check in at this is my first year as well
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
most people start from the loon lake side of the trail. the event is at rubicon springs(find a map of the rubicon to see how far it is).its a straight shot no turns, theres reflectors on some of the more confusing parts. theres is acually a Y either left to the slabs or right to old sluice. old sluice is more difficult, the slabs are more scetchy. if your new to the con start early in the morning and make a day of getting to the springs. when you get there, there will be a big grass area with a wooden booth in the center, thats the check in.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS