Author Topic: 3" lift and no other mods  (Read 1542 times)

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
3" lift and no other mods
« on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »
I am about to put on my Downeys but I never got extended brake lines, anyone think I'll have an issue with that?  I have steering and a torque arm for the kit and jacked the front up about 5 inches and the lines had what seemed to be plenty of wiggle room.  I just want to throw the springs/drag link on for now as I am riding on the bumps and am hating life I think the factory torque arm will be OK, what do you think?  Does anyone else get 0 results no matter what they search for?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 3" lift and no other mods
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
you should get the brake lines, they are cheap and the safety factor is worth it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

8D3TOY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »
I am but no cash.  It's DD and flexing is not going to happen just need a here and now solution because the stockers finally gave up and I am contacting the bump stop sitting on flat ground.

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:28:03 AM »
Yes you can run them with the stock brake lines on the street, I did it. However if you are doing this because your ride is rough and springs are worn out prepare to be disappointed. My Downey's were so rough it was actually painfull to ride in my truck.  I purchased "new" stock springs for my 82 pickup and I am MUCH happier. Just my 2 cents Sir, Good luck!

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
Does anyone else get 0 results no matter what they search for?

Nope.  You have to help the search, you can't just punch in exactly what you want to know about and expect to find a bazillion threads.  You have to try multiple searches using different key words, just one word at a time, and do the leg work of searching through multiple threads.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

8D3TOY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
The search usually works great but last time no matter what I searched even 22R I got 0 results.  I got the Downeys on today sits a bit higher than I wanted but hpefully will help with the ride.  Stiff I can handle as opposed to jarring off the bump stops on every little thing.  I stood on the worn stockers in the garage and almost got the center pin to hit the concrete, and no Im not really fat.  Turns out the Downey kit I bought off this guy was from the late 80's found the invoice in the box so it had these relocation brackets for the brake lines.  I rushed the drop drag link so now my steering is F'd up, look at it tomorrow.

8D3TOY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »
Got everything on and Yep Yotanate they were firm to say the least!  My son and I went on a little road trip and were bummed at how not soft they were but I figured they would soften up and be back on the bump stops in a year or so as that seems to be Downeys rep.  So a couple days ago I had some time and put the drop torque arm on that came with the kit figuring that may help a bit and it did, rides, dare I say, actually really nice.  We are heading down to San Diego to look at an old Ford this week so it will be a good trip.