Author Topic: 22-RE, High Idle after cleaning with STP Throttle body spray  (Read 3960 times)

indianrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hi all ..

my 88, 22-re, 5 speed, 4wd was running perfectly (except the tranny whine in 5th gear) until i decided on some routine maintenance.

i removed the rubber intake hose to the TB and cleaned the throttle body with a STP throttle body spray using a cloth and got some carbon out. then i started the engine and sprayed the STP spray directly into the TB and at the same time revved the engine so it would suck the stp spray.. i used the stp spray pretty generously while i was revving the engine .. i was  "assuming " it will clear some gunk out inside ..

i put eveything back and now the truck idles really high .. dont have a tach but it more like 1500- 2000 rpm all the time .. it is really annoying and i checked the vaccum hoses, the throttle cable, the cable return spring .. everything seems to be in place and fine but i cant figure out why its idling high ? the check engine light came on once for 2 minutes and went away ..the check engine light never came on after that and ive driven around 100 miles now..

did i mess up the TB Sensor ? or did i mess up the cold start injector ? or u think something clogged/messed up the entire cold start system ? ..

please help .. any info is deeply appreciated ..
Black 1988 Toyota Pickup, 4WD, 22 RE, 5 Speed 
Blue/Green 1992 Honda Prelude Si, 5 Speed with 4 Wheel Steering
Lime Green 1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Frist, remove the intake hose and check to see that the throttle plate is completly closing. Work the throttle to make sure it closes, then look for any hoses that may of blown off when you were spraying the cleaner in the intake.

To look for vacume leaks, [you may of blown out an intake runner gasket], get a 3 foot section of 3/8" vacume hose, and stick one end in your ear, and then use the other end to carefully check for sucking air untill you find the leak.

I dont feel you did any damage to the TB, or cold start valve system.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Man, my eyes sure lit up when I saw this one.  I had something similar happen with my 91, pulled off the t-body and thoroughly cleaned it, put it back on with new gasket and it idled fairly high and irratically.  I tried replacing the gasket, checked it for flatness and vaccuum leaks to no avail.  I finally pulled one off a parts truck, cleaned and installed it and it idled a little high but not irratically.  I adjusted the tps and it idled lower but still not ideal, but I can live with it where it is now, just pulled my hair out trying to figure out what I did to mess up the other one,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

indianrider [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
this high idle was really getting to me .. so after i went home i opened the hood , and with the engine running, i was playing with the throttle and when i pused on it to a completely closed position, the idle was normal .. so it looked like the TB valve was not compleletely returning back to the "closed" position .. the spring tension didnt feel strong either and didnt have that strong "snap" so i kinda felt that it needed lubrication..

as usual i couldnt find my WD 40 when needed it the most .. so i got my motorcycle chain grease spray can out and with the engine off, i sparayed the chain grease over the throttle body spring assembly/linkage, sprayed genorously inside the throttle cable, and over the end of the rod which allows the TB valve to pivot around .. then i got in the truck and depressed the accelerator pedal and let it retun back in a snap like 20 times .. 

started the motor .. WOW .. back to normal idle .. got out, checked if the TB valve was returning back to the "closed" position and it was ..the return spring action/snap was a lot stronger ... so i guess it needed some lubrication as the STP cleaner totally washed out any lubrication that was left on the tb linkage ..

thanks marlin for the tip ..
Black 1988 Toyota Pickup, 4WD, 22 RE, 5 Speed 
Blue/Green 1992 Honda Prelude Si, 5 Speed with 4 Wheel Steering
Lime Green 1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100