Author Topic: Half door tips  (Read 13558 times)

superyoat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
Half door tips
« on: May 11, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
gettin ready to build some half doors. anything i should know or tips that may help before i start?
1985 4runner. 4.3TBI, ford 9" rear w/detroit, toy front w/detroit, longfield shafts, alcan springs, dual cases.

DoveGray85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
Re: Half door tips
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
Have you seen this thread? It's a good place to start.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753204&highlight=half+door

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
awesome thanks. i am trying to decide if i'm gunna make it so it drops lower about half way across the door or if i'm gunna make it so it drops all the way down next to the door frame and up twards the front of the door.
1985 4runner. 4.3TBI, ford 9" rear w/detroit, toy front w/detroit, longfield shafts, alcan springs, dual cases.

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:41:54 PM »
I would also take some time with where you put the release handle. I've seen a lot of doors where you need to turn half way around to unlatch it. I would not make them to low its nice having a little protection from mud and road spray.
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
I would also take some time with where you put the release handle. I've seen a lot of doors where you need to turn half way around to unlatch it. I would not make them to low its nice having a little protection from mud and road spray.

X2 on all that. my first pair where way to low, my rule of thumb is the top of you legs is a good height.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
Good info. Keep it coming. Thanks guys

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
Check your Co. Vehicle Code, here in CA you have to have 6" of door above the floor to be legal.

Map out a pattern on some paper that you can transfer to the doors, makes it easier than just taping and cutting.  Reinforce the doors, it will reduce the flexing of the door, and cracking of the body work.  It can take about 8-10hrs per door for a clean finished door w/interior panel, so don't be in a rush.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:19:57 PM »
I'M deffinatly ready to spend some time on them. I'm gunna do all the metal work myself then the body guy at the shop I work at owes me some favors so he will finish up all the body work. I hate to spend a ton of time on it because the rest of my rig is pretty beat up from the rocks and I'm sure another summer of wheelin these doors aren't gunna look very new when we hit a trail we have up here. They call the section metal bender. It's tight gotta lean on a couple rocks to get up it and it usually leaves a good dent in the door

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
Check your Co. Vehicle Code, here in CA you have to have 6" of door above the floor to be legal.

Do you have the V.C. number or section that this is in? I have looked and never been able to find anything.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

86moneypit

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 807
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Go Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
just put some together last summer there a lot of work but it was fun. the worst part is the body work that's a good thing to have done.

I had the local sheet metal shop bend me some caps with a 2" bend to have a straight edge to work with and a place to mount the panel.

hope this helps hit me up if you need any info i learned a lot.

Martin
86 Runner 529s locked duals 37s 
96 Runner 5sp. 3.4 32s DD
04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD With Go Fast Stuff On It

Drive it like you stole it

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
Do you have the V.C. number or section that this is in? I have looked and never been able to find anything.

Not the actual number.  The local CHP desk officer told me it was 6", and a buddy of mine has been stopped for his doors by the CHP, who actually measured them.  Being skeptical of everything I am told, I asked the officer for the C.V.C # and he stated it was a Fed. safety regulation for passenger vehicles to have doors and therefore it is automatically adopted by the C.V.C.  He also stated that the 6" height requirement for the doors comes from the tub height on the Jeeps and similar vehicles.  The safety regulation of doors or tub height is supposedly to keep items inside the car from falling out when moving down the road.

Seeing how delivery trucks like UPS and bread trucks don't have tuns and drive w/the doors almost always open, this safety regulation may only apply to passenger vehicles and not commercial ones.  If this is the case than having commercial plates on your truck should exempt you from the safety requirement, since commercial plates allows one privileges that passenger plates don't, i.e. double parking, parking in delivery/loading zones, and as rumored exempts you from needing to use a front plate and being able to have tinted front side windows.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »
That's good to know. I work on all of the county cop cars and CHP cars in our town so I just smile and wave.   :suprised: and they wave back and I go on my way. It's awesome... I love having connections but I do go out of town now and then so it would be nice to be legal. But my motor is super weak now so it kinda become to be a trailer queen. Sad sad day

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
I cut mine down to the height of the arm rest that are inside the door panel so the top of the half door can be used to lean on as well. Much more comfy for long drives.  Which is about as high as the top of your leg as someone mentioned... :thumbs:

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
 :offtopic:

Not the actual number.  The local CHP desk officer told me it was 6", and a buddy of mine has been stopped for his doors by the CHP, who actually measured them.  Being skeptical of everything I am told, I asked the officer for the C.V.C # and he stated it was a Fed. safety regulation for passenger vehicles to have doors and therefore it is automatically adopted by the C.V.C.  He also stated that the 6" height requirement for the doors comes from the tub height on the Jeeps and similar vehicles.  The safety regulation of doors or tub height is supposedly to keep items inside the car from falling out when moving down the road.

Seeing how delivery trucks like UPS and bread trucks don't have tuns and drive w/the doors almost always open, this safety regulation may only apply to passenger vehicles and not commercial ones.  If this is the case than having commercial plates on your truck should exempt you from the safety requirement, since commercial plates allows one privileges that passenger plates don't, i.e. double parking, parking in delivery/loading zones, and as rumored exempts you from needing to use a front plate and being able to have tinted front side windows.

:headscratch: I live in Cali and I've taken the doors off my 4Runner for the past 2 years and have never been pulled over for the 6" rule. Even when I got pulled over for no mud flaps nothing was said about it  :dunno:

Back to the half door tips  :greengrin:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 01:29:42 AM »
:offtopic:

:headscratch: I live in Cali and I've taken the doors off my 4Runner for the past 2 years and have never been pulled over for the 6" rule. Even when I got pulled over for no mud flaps nothing was said about it  :dunno:

Back to the half door tips  :greengrin:

You didn't get cited for no doors, yet I was talking to a guy in a DMV parking lot about his truck, when a CHP officer walked up and asked us who owned the truck.  He said he did, and the officer replied do you know that it is a safety violation for no doors, and gave him a fix-it ticket.  With fix-its usually free(or at least they were) there is a lot of room for abuse.  My buddy who had the doors measured, the officer could have been hoping to find something else and used the doors as an excuse.

I think a lot has to do w/the actual officer, the mood they are in, their personality, and the area.  I have been pulled over twice for tinted windows(rural and urban area) and neither time did they say anything about no front plate.  Then I got pulled over specifically for no front plate(rural) but nothing was said about the tinted windows, same when I got popped for speeding.

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 06:48:53 AM »
i think im going to go off of this guys doors.

s.resko

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
those look sick. id hafta make 4 of em tho

YOTA yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 255
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
Whats everyone using for cupholders??

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »

And what size?

It has been my experience that if you get a Big Gulp from 7/11 and copy the bottom 2 step design, you will be able to accommodate most drinks, or at least my gold cart at work has this style cup holder and its amazing.  Fits a big gulp PERFECTLY!
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

86moneypit

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Go Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 11:16:48 PM »
i used 3'' exhaust tubing, fits coors can pretty good.

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 06:21:45 AM »
i used 3'' exhaust tubing, fits coors can pretty good.
perfect. usually whatever i drink is in a can.

86moneypit

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Go Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
me to :beerchug:

Kaptain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »

Another idea is goto a marine\boat shop and get a set of their plastic cup holders - drop right in.

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »
Another idea is goto a marine\boat shop and get a set of their plastic cup holders - drop right in.
That is a good idea! I might add some of those to my half doors, that would be super easy
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
i think im going to go off of this guys doors.

i went off his doors to heres how mine came out
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:27:54 PM by rockin86runner »
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »
i went off his doors to heres how mine came out
looks good. we have a annual trip coming up and there is alot of snow and mud so im going to wait to start on mine untill after the trip. i will post pics when they are finished

slacker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 796
  • Member since May '07
  • Master Mould Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
for you guys whom dont have welders and such !!  

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/halfdoors.htm

TREKKER PARTS
86  "shop truck"  lots of fiber parts . 
84 2WD wide body "hotrod"  1GZ
83 3.4L S/C Trekker SR5
82 Mirage  #001
83 Mojave #465
86 3.4L twin turbo Mojave tribute

Yota Rolla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 340
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
its also nice having a handle or bar to grab onto like the crawler trucks halfdoors. . also good to brace the inside if you plan on sliding on them at all
82 locked,geared,cased,caged daily