Author Topic: problems with starter  (Read 2123 times)

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
problems with starter
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »
so my original Toyota starter went bad so i replaced it with a kragen starter and it worked for one day so i brought it back and exchanged it for another and that one only worked for a day also. the second one kragens tested on there machine and it worked but it wont work on my truck unless i beat on it with a metal pipe.

so my question is. is there testing machine right and something else is making the starter not work in my truck or did they give me the wrong starter? it looked the same as my old one.

so anyway i got my money back because im tired of dealing with the ppl at kragens so im probably going to buy one from napa on monday.

oh its for a 1987 4runner 22re 5 spd

any input on this would be great. Thanks

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Re: problems with starter
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:44:38 PM »
Youre first mistake was getting a aftermarket starter. See if they have your oem one. You will never get a good starter like that one, usually the only thing needed replacing is the starter contacts. Its very easy to do.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
Youre first mistake was getting a aftermarket starter. See if they have your oem one. You will never get a good starter like that one, usually the only thing needed replacing is the starter contacts. Its very easy to do.
ya, ive been reading today and it seems thats the way to go. anyone know how much a new one will cost from toyota?

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
sometimes the shims in the starter are not correct. And you just have to rock the vehicle while its in gear. Then try starting it again. After doin this off and on for a week my aftermarket starter works just fine now.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
It will go bad in a year.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »
Pop the end off and put in new contacts and a plunger.  That usually solves 90% of the issues.  If not then need to look at replacing the wiring and relay for the starter. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocks For Brains

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 02:45:28 AM »
Also as your Toyota ages and with the constant starting over the years "ALL" of the electrical parts will wear out. The switch wears, the resistance in the actual wires, it is just a product of time. Now if you get your starter from Toyota and you are still having issues try adding in a relay to the switch at the starter. You can run a auxiliary light relay from the battery and use the ignition switch as the low voltage side. What this will do is turn the switch into the signal to activate the relay which will provide full power to the solenoid instead of the now reduced power that the aged system is supplying. I've had to do this on several rigs I've owned and it works like a charm.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:51:02 AM »
Also as your Toyota ages and with the constant starting over the years "ALL" of the electrical parts will wear out. The switch wears, the resistance in the actual wires, it is just a product of time. Now if you get your starter from Toyota and you are still having issues try adding in a relay to the switch at the starter. You can run a auxiliary light relay from the battery and use the ignition switch as the low voltage side. What this will do is turn the switch into the signal to activate the relay which will provide full power to the solenoid instead of the now reduced power that the aged system is supplying. I've had to do this on several rigs I've owned and it works like a charm.

:doh: I was on his laptop when I posted, guess I should check before I post. So anywho that is what I've done in the past to fix aging wiring.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
just to update this, i bought a starter from napa and its been working great so far. if it dies in a year then ill replace the contacts.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:33:05 AM »
Everything you need to work on your starter.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen