Author Topic: FIRST TRUCK help??  (Read 7195 times)

bamajojo9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
FIRST TRUCK help??
« on: Apr 21, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »
hey im new to the blog and im a teenager lookin to buy a toyota i wanna build a trail rig rock crawler/mud bogger. thats wat everyone does in my town. i just needs some sugestions on everything i would need to do to build one?? im wantin between an 84 and 89. just some input on anythang would be appreciated. thanx

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: FIRST TRUCK help??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »
well i can tell you is your gonna want a solid axle setup etheir allready done on the rig you buy
 or you put one on it.
that is a good thing to look for between those years.  then lift, gears and tires.   start buy taking a look see at other rigs on the forum here and then kind go from there.   :thumbs:    and don't be affraid to ask them about there rigs.
i love oregon wheelin.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
start buy taking a look see at other rigs on the forum here and then kind go from there.   :thumbs:    and don't be affraid to ask them about there rigs.

Best advice right there.   :welcome:
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010, 09:36:13 PM by fortysixandtwo »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
let me start by saying :welcome: to the marlin forum and great choice in choosing toyota u wont be disipointed...id look for an 79 to 85 truck with either thr 22r or re this way your already have a trail capible rig from the start then reasearch ALOT bbefore you turm ur first wrenchon the truck come up with a plan of how you want it to turn out and what you want to do too many ppl start in to projects with no plan and they easily go down the drain fast once youve done ur reasearch and got a plan together start building but go slow take ur time ask lots of questions and do it right the first time so your not constantly fixing it.  definantly do not be afraid to ask questions weve been through it and done the same thing so dont feel like an idiot jus ask even the stupid ones with that said head to the projects buildup threads and start readin

have fun,
Cullin
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
welcome.
they said the best already.
check out my build, its in my sig down below
what town u live in?

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »
thanx for all the replys.. and i was wonderin was size lift i should get and wat gears i should run?? im wantin to run somewere around 38s.. ive been lookin at the all pro lifts because thats wat alot of folks have told me about. and ive also herd that the 22r is better than fuel injected model. wats yalls opinion on that?

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2010, 06:36:53 AM »
EFI all the way.  Carbs have issues with fuel starvation, and altitude adjustment.  EFI does all that for you.

All-Pro is just as good as Marlin's parts.  They both provide high quality parts for those who want them.  

And for running 38's, just get a 5" lift and get friendly, really friendly with the sawzall!!   :yesnod:  You could do it with a 4" and some inner fender/cab massage with a welder.  Best thing to do, is keep the center of gravity as low as possible. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »
You will need these basics:
Marlin Crossover steering
Marlin Dual Transfer Case Adapter
Marlin springs or Rears up front
Locker front and rear

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
re is much better

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
what is your budget like????      cause you can go inexpensive route or the other way.   this can play a roll in your build to.
i love oregon wheelin.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:44:07 AM »
re is good but with the r you can build a hybred with the 20r head run an efi fuelpump with an voltage regulator to slow the flow no fuel starvation that way
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
for 38s your gonna want 5.29s. usually its 4.88s for 33s and up, and 5.29s for 35s and up
the 22RE is much better when you flop it on its side, it will start much faster than a carbed 22R, and like cheesemaker said, there are many down sides to a carbed 22R. i dont know why you heard carbed was better?  :headscratch: if its for only offroad and your budget supports it, id go with a 22R and do a propane conversion. but the best year for sure is an 85 because thats got the SFA and EFI. again, depends on your budget, how much you want to build it etc... like simp said for 38s you will need crossover steering. :thumbs:
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
thanx again. do any of yall think 38s are pushin it to big??  and its not a big deel but just wantin to no wat kind of gas mileage i would get runnin the 5.29 gears and big tires? and im not on to tight of a buget.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
38's, 5.29's and gas mileage!!!!   :rofl: 

With that setup, you won't get decent mpg, or ever expect to see fifth gear, and forget going over the speed limit.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »
cheese ur tellin me we actually have another gear after 4th i didnt know that lol always thought it was park or sumthing lol i get decent gas with 4:10's and 35's i need 529's tho

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2010, 04:29:06 AM »
how much will it cost to change to gears and were could i do it at?

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
depends. you can get built thirds with ARB lockers, detroit lockers or E-lockers. but those are really expensive.  you can get em from Trail-Gear or Marlin. or you can put the gears in yourself. not sure how, never done it. but, the saying goes-you get what you pay for :yesnod:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »
ya buy a set of geares unbolt the 4 bolts on ur backing plate unbolt the pinion flange unbolt all the nuts around the thirdmember slide the axels out pull the third member out unbolt geared them put back together its real simple

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
You shouldn't be concerned w/ 38's gears, lockers, at the moment, the need for these types of upgrades are quite a ways off for you. 

While an SA rig would do you best in the long run, an IFS rig will do just as good for you right now, and depending on your area you can often get them $1000-1500 less.  Regardless of which type of front suspension rig you get to start with, you should start with a stock rig, add some 31" tires, body protection, and go wheel it for a few hundred hours.  What you learn with a stock rig will pay large dividends once you move up to a built rig, and help you to build a rig that suits your needs, not copy what others have done.  A lot of newbies start off with rigs that are far beyond their driving abilities, and while this may make them king of the easy and moderate trails, they often end up broken or wheels up on the harder trails.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

jeff22r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Apr '10
  • yeah i know its a jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
yeah i agree start w/ 31s and build your rig from there!!! if you learn to read trails right a 31 will do just fine. then move up when u want harder lines!!! look into lockers second, everybody hates to be stuck b/c only 2 wheels are pullin b/c there both off the ground or just spinning!!!! and just remember the bigger tires and lower the gear u run a better chance of breaking axles. well thats my opinion but you know what they say about opinions!!!  #1 rule have fun with it

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »
yeah i prolly wont do 38s prolly somethin a lil smaller. but idk why i wouldent just go ahead and get a solid axle. and i was plannin on detroit locker is there anything better?

jeff22r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Apr '10
  • yeah i know its a jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »
def find a straight axle!!!!saves you from doing the swap later.detroits are fine i know alot of people that run them. but its always cheaper to weld um!!!!just depends on budget and what your plans for the truck are

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
if ur planin on pavement drivin at all or turning at all go with detroit rear aand either aussie or lockright front dong weld you wont turn with the hubs locked in...of course if you got the money theres always arb

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »
You will need these basics:
Marlin Crossover steering
Marlin Dual Transfer Case Adapter
Marlin springs or Rears up front
Locker front and rear

^ this ^

you'd be better off with the above and some 33/35s than someone starting out with a new 5" lift and 38s  :twocents:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
idk why i wouldent just go ahead and get a solid axle.
Buying an SA or IFS all depends on what your entry level amount of money is.  Only the the 2nd gen '84-'85 model trucks and 1st gen 4-Runners came with a SFA, while the '86-88 trucks and '86-'89 4-Runners came w/IFS.  There were more IFS rigs built and sold which tends to make them cheaper than the SA rigs, and depending on where you live, you might have a limited selection of SA in good enough shape to chose from that haven't been already heavily modified.  Also since you should be starting out w/a stock rig, the money you could save on the original purchase price can easily pay for solid front and rear bumpers, rocker sliders, recovery gear, and maybe even a winch.  Of course if you are able to find a stock SA rig or one slightly modified, i.e., 31's and body protection for a decent price, that should be your first choice.

and i was plannin on detroit locker is there anything better?
Yes, they are selectable lockers, either an ARB or Toyota e-locker.  They cost about double, but are well worth it for any rig, because you only use them when you need them.  You rarely ever wheel a trail where you need a locker on all the time, even in loose terrain like snow and mud, being able to turn them on and off makes life a lot easier for you and your rig both on and off the trail.

While a locker is nice to have, I would suggest wheeling a while w/o any locker at all.  You really need to learn how your rig handles on the trail, how to line yourself up with the right line through a difficult section.  A locker wants to push you in a straight line, often this prevents you from lining up with the right line, or pushes you off of the line you need to be following.  Trying to learn how to wheel while being pushed around on the trail will make for a very irritating experience, for both you and your spotter.  Also, starting out with a locker will rob you of the learning experience of how to stack rocks to get traction, how to follow a spotter, how to get unstuck from all types of condition, etc., something that everyone eventually has to be able to do regardless of how well their vehicle is equipped.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
yeah i think im leanin more towards the 35s

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
a young friend of mine recently bought a 85 shortbed with 35's locked front and rear, thankfully he listened to me and did away with the welded diffs,  now he has a spool in the rear and open up front, he now has dual cases, 5.29's and 35's and has yet to hit a trail :ack:

but dont worry he will :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
as far as tires are concerned id start with 33's or if you can afford to re-gear your diffs right away maby 35's.  you can go along ways on 33's. if you cant afford to re-gear right away i wouldnt even think about 35's just my  :twocents:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
ya start out small learn how to handel her then move up ull be happier but i think before you get carried away with what tires ur gonna get and geares you need to find a rig lol run it stock jus like you buy it for a while then start your build that way you kno what areas you need to improve its a leRning process

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 26, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »
yeah i wasent plannin on just runnin out and gettin everything done rite away, i am trying to work out a plan. and i waS wondering wat the duel cases does and how it helps??