Author Topic: how would stock axles hold up with 32s??  (Read 4756 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
how would stock axles hold up with 32s??
« on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:21:06 PM »
ok i am debating weather to weld up my diffs er not?? i will within the next 4-6 months have mula :twocents:  for axles lockers... tires and a lift... but i want to have some fun before that and want to know how well the stock axles will hold up? it has 32 bf goodrich tires a 2'' lift with the stock 4 banger...  this is something i will take wheeling 1-2 times a month and will be running trails here in northern cali... if n e of you heard of these... pilsberry and cow mountain.... may run some trails down south but i dont know??...... so basically has ne one ran this setup for a while without ne breakage??  and it makes sense to me that locking up both diffs it would have less stress on the axles when all four tires are planted on the groung right?? and of course u got more stress when a wheel is up in the air?? am i correct?? well any info would be great!! thanx :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

billy hill

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -102
  • Male Posts: 150
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: how would stock axles hold up with 32s??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:41:04 PM »
 Weld up the rear and wheel the crap outta it. I'd leave the front alone. With it welded, you would have crappy steering. Unless you bought/built hydro assist steering. With the hydro assist, you wouldn't even tell the front was welded at all. But then the Birf's would probabally blow up.
official mall crawlin pavment pounder #1

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:43:34 PM »
so pretty much ur sayin its gonna hold up for what i want to do?? do you know how thic :beerchug: k the toy axles are??

The_Blue_Coyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -38
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • Blue Coyote Racing
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:49:55 PM »
BIgger than a 9". We run 84 axles, Yukon spool, 33" Baja TA's (very heavy) on a desert race truck that is drven very hard and gets lots of big air, We have never broken one yet. (in fact the same axles have been on this truck for 10+ years)
GOT LEAFS ?
www.bluecoyoteracing.com
84 Totota 4x4 class 7S  #797

camo89

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:53:14 PM »
do it 37s and wleded i dident ever brak a rear i broke a berf once
mopar parts

billy hill

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -102
  • Male Posts: 150
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:54:17 PM »
 Not off the top of my head. But they are pretty strong. I've rarely heard of someone breaking a rear. But it is possible
official mall crawlin pavment pounder #1

camo89

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:59:29 PM »
ill try when i put the detroit in the back of WTs old truck 38s and a 350
mopar parts

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:12:30 PM »
thanx guys but what about my thinking about this.....( it makes sense to me that locking up both diffs it would have less stress on the axles when all four tires are planted on the groung right?? and of course u got more stress when a wheel is up in the air?? am i correct?? well any info would be great!! thanx)?? :beerchug:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
I know, this isn't the popular answer, but leave it alone til you can afford the lockers. For one, you'll have to tear everything apart to weld it up. What's the point? You're going to have to do it again when you get a locker. If you leave it the way you are, and you wheel the crap out of it til you can afford the lockers, you'll be a much better driver than someone who starts out with all the goodies. You'll be much better at picking a line, and you'll get to know your rig much better. Then when you lock it up, you'll be driven like a super hero.
Just a little advice from someone who's done this wheelin thing for a day or two.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:16:24 PM »
Drive smart and you shouldn't have a problem. You're only running 32's, as long as you aren't John Force on the giggle pedal your stuff will hold up fine as is.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2005, 01:59:18 PM »
thanx guys but what about my thinking about this.....( it makes sense to me that locking up both diffs it would have less stress on the axles when all four tires are planted on the ground right?? and of course u got more stress when a wheel is up in the air?? am i correct?? well any info would be great!! thanx)?? :beerchug:

Here is my thoughts on stress levels in the axles with the diffs locked.  If you have an open diff and are traveling in a straight line the torque is transferred 50/50, but when you turn, or reduce the weight on one axle, the torque shifts to an extreme of 100/0 where one wheel spins freely (the reason to install lockers).  In a fully locked truck the torque is always 50/50, so assuming that one tire is off the ground the torque would still be 50/50 rather than 100/0 which sounds like less stress; however the axles is now carrying about double the weight and turning the same speed which means an increase in load/stress.  You will note that truck in 2wd turn easier on pavement or rocks than one in 4wd (open diffs) because the torque is not transfered front to rear via the transfer case.  You will notice on the rocks in Moab, or in a paved parking lot, that a stock truck in 4wd can actually chirp tires while turning tight, and when the diffs are locked it only gets worse (this is why trucks locked in the front don't want to turn).  The bottom line is that by locking the differentials you are making it more difficult (or impossible) for the differential to distribute torque between the axles (the whole point of lockers) and this will increase the stress level in the entire drivetrain by causing it to bind (no more slip).  Anytime a tire chirps or barks on the rocks it is a sure sign that the stress level has increased in the axle, so as long as the wheels are on the ground and NOT going perfectly straight the stress in the axles will increase due to the binding in the drivetrain.  With open diffs you can still chirp, bark or spin a tire, but it is the one with the least weight and resistance.  Does anyone care to agree or disagree?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2005, 02:17:04 PM »
thanx once again man!! very helpful!!!!! :wave:  :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2005, 04:01:56 PM »
toy rears are 1.30 inches diameter
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
I agree with fireball and blackdiamond! wheel that yota with open diffs then just wait till you get the money and put new axles and lockers then go wheelin and take that line you want,maybe the hardest one up the hill.have fun and keep the pedal floored! :beerchug:
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:19:14 AM »
I can tell you from experience that learing to wheel a truck stock is valuable.  It is very satisfying to wheel a fairly stock truck on difficult trails.  When I got mine it had 32" tires and a 3.5" Pro Comp lift so I had some advantage, but I still had to drive a good line.  Now that I have gears and  lockers (front limited slip) it goes nearly everywhere I point it.  I recently drove my friends bone stock Toyota thru an area that my truck would go in Low 2wd (twin stick) easily and made a fool of myself.  I have another friend that just purchased a Toyota truck with 4 inches of lift and 33" tires that is used to driving a full size Blazer with 37" tires, Detroits front and rear, and an automatic transmission.  I told him that he will need to learn how to drive a small rig and the more stock it is, the more you can learn.  If you learn to control a stock truck, you will be less likely to damage a built one by making a mistake.  Body damage is great if you make the choice to take a calculated risk, but body damage from poor driving skills just makes me feel like a moron.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:43:33 AM »
couldnt have said it better
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2005, 07:59:45 PM »
I know driving my truck stock (almost stock) helped out a lot.  I started wheeling it with 4 inches of lift and 33's, it was pretty cool, but then i stepped up to 35's and the mods haven't stopped from there.  You should be pretty good with only 32 inch tires.  Wouldn't worry about breaking anything.

marleyoffroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2005, 06:18:33 AM »
32s with stock is a no problem. ran it with a spool and used my lead foot and nothing happened
95 toy,marlin sas,5.29aussie locker(f)/5.29detriot(r),30 spline longs/4140 superior axle (r),custom 6" alcan spring(f),dual triangulated 4link(r),hysteer,68"diamond axles,bilstein 7100s at all 4 corners, duel ultimate,fror x-member,

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:36:47 PM »
i think you worry to much... its a toyota, drive it and if you brake somthing replace it with a better thing.   :hammerhead:    always worked for me.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

propane

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2005, 09:54:04 PM »
I've ran with 42's for 4 months regularly and just broke a stock shaft. We wheel hard too. AZ trails with the BTG and the pros.
Killer propane kits for the extreme four wheeler.

www.gotpropane.com

crawler925

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2005, 11:45:44 PM »
I'm air locked front and rear and haven't broke any shafts YET :idea:
5" sas with rear 5" coil to leaf conversion , ARB front bumper, 8000 warn winch , front and rear ARB air lockers, 5.29 gears, 36/12.5/15 swamper sx on 15x8 2in back space rockcrawlers, Bilstein 5150 14" Shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer, cobra CB, onboard air compressor w/7 gallon tank, con-ferr roof rack,

mxpro_156

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Member since Apr '05
  • 5th GEAR PINNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2005, 11:57:43 AM »
I have a stock truck with 33's and no lockers or gears....It holds up fine, and goes almost anywhere I want to take it.I would wait awhile before I locked it and you could get by without gears but not completely necessary.

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2005, 12:46:01 PM »
I'm rollin' on 40's with a welded stock rear,havent broken, and I beat my pregnant dog.my buddy down the streetis running 33s and his rear has been welded for 5 years, and he even flat tows his :pokinit: to the runs,so you should have no problem at all, these rear ends are strong. :beerchug:
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2005, 04:08:34 PM »
with 32's and ope you can beat it real good with no worries..Just lock the back,,leave the front oper till you can buy bifrs and a locker..welding the front will stress out the birfs,,with 32's i doubt its an issue,,but why mess with it..Your turning will way suck and it will just blow a birf if you wheel it..crawling at the mall and a stock birf will last a while..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Apr 10, 2005, 05:54:31 PM »
don't weld it. do it right the first time, wait for the locker
Time to go wheelin!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 10, 2005, 06:00:04 PM »
Yea whatever you do dont improve your trucks offroad performance cheaply!  Wait till you can drop 3-$500 on a clanking banging auto locker or $700 on an arb........  Gimme a break you guys act like a welded rear is the plague....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Apr 10, 2005, 06:11:01 PM »
never had a problem with my detroit.
Time to go wheelin!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 10, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »
1/4 trun of backlash is bult into ALL automatic lockers so they function properly, some mask it better than others but not a detroit.  The only locker worse in the rear is a lockrite.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2005, 06:24:19 PM »
i love my welded rear , but i wouldent wanna weld up the front :_oops:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2005, 07:05:02 PM »
agree
Time to go wheelin!