Author Topic: water on the floor!!  (Read 1735 times)

85yotanh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
water on the floor!!
« on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
Well winter is ending and spring is firing up here in NH and with the spring comes rain, I am about 80% done with my project, and I thought that I may have already fixed my problem but apparently i have not.
The Truck:
1985 toyota sr5 Xtra Cab pickup
1988 std cab frame
22re 5 spd
Problem:
When it rains (not sprinkles but RAINS) water will get into my cab and end up on my drivers side floor. This was an issue when i first got my truck and I figured through removing the cab, removing any cancer, and going through everything I would find my problem, but I have not. Today it rained all day and I went to check and sure enough there was water on my floor but Where is it coming from? There are no holes in the wheel well,the floor, and the sunroof is water tight and its water channels are not blocked. I think it is coming from somewhere on the firewall, because i did notice the boot that covers the steering shaft is cracked, and the foam mat that is up underneath the dash is wet, Im running out of ideas any help would be much appreciated. NH is not like sunny California we have a pretty wet climate and the smell of mildew is not my favorite!!

zentinez

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since Mar '10
  • upgrade
    • View Profile
Re: water on the floor!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
I had the same problem in my 83 yota when it rained or the snow would melt ,,, found out water would come down from the hood compartmet threw the side of the door pannel where the door hinges conect to the body threw the kick pannel and end up on the corner of the drivers side floor. I put some siylicone on the corner right below the hood mounts and it solved the problem. Dont know if that will help but thats the problem i had. Hope ya find it I hate that smell to.

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
Sit inside and have someone hit it with a pressure washer or strong hose and take a look around. If you think it is coming from the firewall pull up the carpet so you can see back there better.
Precision guess work done here.

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
no carpet In new hamppshire carpet = a rotted out floor in a wheelin rig we love our salt on the roads and are vehicles take the beating

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
i have seen this on almost all hilux's.  above the fuse box on the driver side and above the computer passenger side.  the pinch weld under the fender liner where the cowel comes together is rusted out.  look for cancer right behind your clutch slave. if you find some, scoop out the leavs and crap out of the cowel, get some epoxy and fiberglass.  go to town!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
Windshield seal
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
The window trim is famous for rubbing on the pillar and rusting out.  I've got to do some rust repair on mine. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

hiluxtrux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »
I too have been down this road.  I had a leak on the passenger side of my '80, for two (California) winters I was vexed with the wet floor problem.  I finally figured out it was seeping in on the roof where the rain gutters are welded and running down the windshield pillar.  It sure looked like the windshield gasket was leaking.  In fact,  the original seam sealant had given up the fight, so I applied urethane sealant from Home Depot and have been dry ever since!