Author Topic: Driveshaft contacting Cross Member under flex - ideas?  (Read 1443 times)

Redcheetah

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
Driveshaft contacting Cross Member under flex - ideas?
« on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
I went to Truckhaven this weekend for a buddy's bachelor party and began to hear a metal on metal grinding noise during one of the runs through the notches.  After crawling under the rig I realized that the DS is contacting the Cross Member when the front end is flexed.  I am looking for guidance on how to solve this issue?  A couple people suggested that I just clearance the crossmember but after looking at the contact points it appears as if it would take a substantial amount of clearance to give the DS full clearance.  Ideas?  Thanks

edit: I have pics but don't have enough posts to post an attachment. :smack:

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
That's strange.  I assume we're talking about the stock t-case x-member?  Is this when the passenger side is at full droop or compression?  You can host pics at photobucket.com and then use the [IMG] code to post them here.  Those pics would really help in this situation.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

jcm

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
I had the same problem single t-case and mixed front springs longer shackles pinion was to low caster was off installed spring shims everything was ok after that

Redcheetah [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info so far guys.  As far as I know this is the stock t-case cross member.  I will try to joing photobucket to get the pics up.  The pics clearly show what type/where the contact is taking place

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
your best bet would probably be getting an aftermarket cross member.  I got one offline from sky manufacturing and it worked great.