Author Topic: Locker in IFS  (Read 3911 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Locker in IFS
« on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:00:59 PM »
WHy do people say not to put a locker in an IFS??
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Locker in IFS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »
Because it's a tried and broken setup.  The CVs are not up to the task of driving around locked and being beat on.  That said, judicious application of the stupid pedal can go a long way toward keeping things intact.
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:16:48 PM »
I thought that air lockers were ok  but not detroit lockers :dunno:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:33:27 PM »
I'm talking about a lockrite.  I wouldnt be driving around in 4 wheel a lot, except when really necessary, cause i am already locked in the rear.  My side and spiders are shot, as werll as the carrier, and I am buying a third all setup with a lock rite.

Any tips to keeping stuff intact, aside from the stupid pedal?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2004, 03:39:27 PM »
Selectable lockers are a bit more agreeable because, well, they're selectable.  Turned off they're equivalent to an open diff, and they can be turned on for as long or short as needed, so you're not abusing the front end by default but rather by intermittent choice.  In winter -are you from Canada or just your Avatar?- in winter, a front auto locker is about the worst thing you can will on anyone who might have to engage 4wd in traffic.  If you thought the side-slip was impressive with a rear locker, wait til you get up to 40 and the front one decides to load or unload.  It turns a commute into an adventure.

If the lock-rite is in good shape you might as well run it.  Unlocking one hub is generally regarded as the poor-man's selectable locker.

I'd probably try to sell the lock-rite and put whatever I got for it toward a TrueTrac (LSD) or ARB.
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2004, 06:50:32 PM »
I live in Sacramento, CA.  I make trips up to the snow and such, but the only reason I am really getting it is because it is already set up in a front diff that I want to buy, just so I can have 4 wheel drive until I do my SAS (next summer I hope).  When I am not in 4 wheel drive It'll run normally right?  it is only when I have the hubs locked and the 4wheel drive engaged that it will be engaged right? 

-Ronald Reagan

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2004, 07:32:04 PM »
hubs need to be locked and the 4wheel drive on. have u thought about a twinstick? that way when the 4wd is engaged u can put it into 2wd. but i guess this is only a good idea for trails
Im an OG

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2004, 10:36:16 PM »
a front auto locker is about the worst thing you can will on anyone who might have to engage 4wd in traffic.  If you thought the side-slip was impressive with a rear locker, wait til you get up to 40 and the front one decides to load or unload.  It turns a commute into an adventure.

Shoot mine does that sometimes on dry pavement in 2wd.  Back end steps out while doing 45mph down the road.  Doesn't happen much.  But it has happend.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2004, 02:16:59 AM »
So, overall, are you happy with your front locker?  Or do you wish you hadnt put it in?

-Ronald Reagan

surfindave

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 112
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2004, 02:37:06 AM »
Hi
I have run the detroit ez lokka in the ifs for just over 12mths before i ran it i did a ring gear and an axle when i fitted it i went for 11mths without any breakage then i poped a cv and that was on full lock if you keep away from a full lock with power on it seems to be okay.
I have now gone solid front but never regretted the ez lokka in the IFS.
Dave
Ps No snow here in australia where i live so cant say about snow but with manual hubs unlocked then its not a problem .

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2004, 09:24:13 PM »
Takes getting used to but I love it. Especially everytime I'm wheeling somewhere difficult.  Makes Rock Crawling possible with a stock suspension and 31" tire.  It just climbs and doesn't loose traction when a tire get airborne, which happens a lot with a stock IFS.  Not everyone has the money or ability to have a tricky flexible suspension.  It does circles around lifted trucks with no lockers.  It was the first mod I did to the truck.

Not saying my truck will do the Rubicon.  But I don't live anywhere near the Con.  And with the type of wheeling that I do the truck does really well.  I've done almost all of the "difficult trails" in Southern Cal with the truck.  And on those trips I usually end up towing someone else out.  A lot of times that's a full size rig.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

stomper

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -139
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2004, 01:39:17 PM »
WHy do people say not to put a locker in an IFS??

Beats me I got   A Lockright in the front and rear of my Tacoma and Love them. Yea I have broke a couple Cv's but thats cause I like to show off and both time I got on the skinny. If you drive with a little common sense you wont have too many problems.

As far as handling goes I dont know the front's there on the road with hubs unlocked. Since I live in the south I don't have to deal with snow so the only time I lock the hubs is on the trail. Now on the trail sometime it can be a bear to turn the wheel while stoped. But i've found out that if I just let the clutch off just a little to get the front wheels to turn the least little bit then I can turn the wheel.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2004, 02:13:23 PM »
Personally I had very little trouble with My IFS with a locked front. The entire 6 years I owned my 86 Turbo 4Runner I broke only 1 axle, the shorty inside the housing. Never had any trouble with the CV's and I ran 33's and 5 inches of lift. Granted it was an auto trans which was very forgiving, but my brother ran a front locker in his 91 V-6 extra-cab with a 5-speed and never had any trouble. I am more afraid to put a locker in a unmodified solid axle, I will only run limiteds in my 80 pickup. Street manners are fine with it unlocked, but locked on lets say snow the auto soaked up a lot a kept it straight. Now my brothers got a little squirly in snow, but not to bad.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2004, 02:24:30 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2004, 02:32:13 PM »
I got the same thing your brother had, so that info is extremely helpful.
Thank you

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2004, 10:04:42 PM »
What about a limited slip?  My friend and I were talkin the other day and realized we knew where there were probably several factory toyota 7.5" limited slips that we could get cheap.  I was even thinkin about pickin a few of them up and sellin them here for cheap.  On the right day I could them for pretty cheap, sell em cheap and still make a little cash.  Has anybody tried using a supra limited slip in the ifs front?   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2004, 05:53:08 PM »
A limited slip is fine in the front with a locker in the rear to back it up, I run Downey limiteds in my 80 LWB truck. You can definatly feels the difference over a full locker. At the moment I have limiteds f/r with 4.3's and 31 inch tires, have taken it places that should have never been tried. I'm a little low on clearance but even with limiteds it has tackled every trail I've thrown under it.

I ran a limited front with a locker in the rear of my 84 pick-up with 33's and 4.88's did very good except in snow, my :moon: kept trying to pass my front on the trail while my 86 4Runner would track straight as an arrow in the fluffy stuff and it had 33's, 4.88's and an auto but was locked front and rear. Have yet to take the 80 out in snow yet and may not get it out this year since I broke at least a valve spring at Panamint Valley Days.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2004, 05:58:52 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2004, 03:58:20 PM »
I thought that air lockers were ok  but not detroit lockers :dunno:
you don't really want a detroit in any front end.  if you break an axle shaft the resulting backlash tends to blow up the guts inside the locker.

a lot of guys use lockrites and aussie lockers in the front, if you break a shaft it usually just shears the pins off that can be replaced for $10 or so.  ARBs and toyota electrics don't have the same problems as detroits, from all i've heard