Poll

HOW SHOULD USED PRICES BE CALCULATED

50% tread 50% retail price
50% tread but still 100% usable to drive on
50% tread, but rent is due on my 50%,

Author Topic: MY RANT: USED TIRE PRICES, GET REAL PEOPLE, PLEASE SEE INSIDE FOR MORE  (Read 9221 times)

DD85runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
50% tread should be less than 50% retail value. you have to consider things besides tread like rock rash sidewall damage etc. if you bought a brand new car and tried to sell it right away you wouldnt get all your money back because its no longer brand new. people pay extra for brand new. even if its 99% tread id pay 90% or less of retail but thats just my opinion on things
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 07:01:46 PM by DD85runner »
85 4runner: 5.29s, duals with 4.7, ARB fr, detroit r, hi steer, bobbed 12"
89 4runner sr5: sold
98 prelude: DD

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Weather I'm buying or selling, here is my take:

80%-100% tread = all you can get/give, probably within 75% of retail.

75% tread = 60% of retail

50% tread = 40% of retail

25% tread = 20% of retail

Less that 20% tread = $100/set or super cheap

Any tires now out of production should get dinged maybe 10% more since you probably can't replace them if you rip a sidewall etc.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

4Runtoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I Love My Toy!
    • View Profile
   At the end of the day its all up to the buyer, if you like the tires and checked them and you see they are in really good condition and good price buy it, if not save your money and get a brand new set, I just bought 5 37x14x15 Iroks for $600 on craigslist, one its brand spanking new, and the others are 95% tread left, I checked the date which they were made 2 years ago, in my book I score big time. Now there is people that want too much money for their junk, advice don't waste your time and keep looking.  :tantrum:

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I like that one there...

you get good deals and you get bad deals, in the end its up to you.
I might be moving back to floridas panhandle, if so I might wait for my tires to show up on intercos site as a cosmetic blem
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
Yeah the blems are usually a good deal and I agree with your desired pricing but for some reason people always want alot of money for their stuff. I try to price my parts fairly but on here people seem to want everything for nothing or want way to much for their stuff.  :screwy: My buddy just bought some 1 month old 31" mud terains for $100 from a local shop that pulled them off a truck to put on 35"s

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
see, I shoulda gone and checked out les shwab when they had those A/Ts sitting out front...
they just arent in business to do used tires.... theyd probably want a little bit... but really, they make more when they sell new tires
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
My biggest gripe is the subjectiveness of the % left.

I see tires advertised as 70% tread, that should be 30%.  I think we should require actual tread depth measurments in the for sale forum.  And photgraphing a quarter sitting in the tread doesn't count.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
 ^ Makes sense to me... that's a lot better than taking a SWAG and calling it good.

Tread depth gauges are cheap, and they eliminate guesswork. You can also use 'em check tread wear -- at least as often as you rotate your tires. You'll find wear patterns long before you can see 'em.  :twocents:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
My thought is that even when the tire is brand new...the tread dosent account for 100% of the value of the tire.

So lets says hypothetically speaking and using nice round numbers for the sake of my sick nasty awesome math skills...

Tire = 100% new = $100

Tread = 25% of value becasue other factors contribute to tire value. (Side walls, construction, rubber compound etc.)

So, even if the tire had ZERO tread left, the tire would still cost $75.

Its a crude measurement and blunt but I think it shows what Im trying to say.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Using that example, yes, the carcass may account for $75 of the cost of manufacturing. However, with no tread, it is of no use. To me, the only way to determine the value of the tire is to measure the percentage of usable tread. By usable, I mean ignoring the last 2/32", because that is the point at which it becomes both illegal and dangerous for highway use. Obviously that doesn't matter if you're using it off-road and don't mind an essentially bald tire.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Well I also agree with that statement too.

Obviously no one is going to want a tire with 15% tread and its essentially worth it.

But its just a nice way to wrap your head around why people will charge more than 50% retail value with a 50% tread life left.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
just the same going back to my original statement... a 100% tread tire, let say a standard BFG MT..... when driving, and useing up the first 50% of tread youve always got a GOOD grip.....
the first 50% tread is the BEST because youve got the other 50% of tread "helping out"
dunno otherwise... definitally an interesting post I have made I think

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
My rule is I won't pay more than half of what the tires cost. 

New Tire = 50% of new cost
50% Tire = 25% of new cost

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I take it you buy alot of new tires ;)