Author Topic: 4.3 chevy engine swap info  (Read 42635 times)

motoracer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 319
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
4.3 chevy engine swap info
« on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »
Im look for some info on a 4.3 chevy  engine swap. Ive read that the early engines have a balance problem at 1200 rpm but they fixed it in the later models.  Also i would like to use a carb on this engine to avoid all the electrical work .Summit makes a intake for this engine to use a carb  that much i know. How much is the cost of doing the swap? What is the best year of a 4.3 to use for the swap? What mods do i have to do besides the motor mounts? and do the early engines use computers to control them or a modual ?,(if i have to use fuel injection?) Im just looking for more powerful engine then my 22r . so when i blow my up i can have a nother engine ready to put in. I think stock this engine has 165 hp and 200 foot pounds of torque. Im not looking for a v8  i think its to heavy and to much power i would break a lot of stuff with my lead foot.  Any info would be great .  Thanks 
pie

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: 4.3 chevy engine swap info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »
some one told me once that the 92 i think was the best.  and it had also more power than other years.  there was a 4x4 magazine that had this in it on the s-10 blazers.  that is all i know.
i love oregon wheelin.

subbrat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
The 4.3L tbi works great the wiring is not that bad. just add a seed sensor, frame mount fuel pump, 3 power wires and couple grounds.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »
I'd suggest sticking with a throttle body or injected motor, it's going to run much more reliably on the trail especially in the steep stuff. The wiring isn't that big of a deal. Painless or Howell-efi both make wiring harnesses that are labeled and easy to hook up. I used a '92 CPI motor and only had 5 or 6 wires that I had to hook up that weren't just plug and play.
The throttle body motors are very simple and reliable, the CPI motor makes a bit more hp but has less aftermarket parts availablility. That doesn't really make too much difference though since it's got WAY more power than what you've got now.
Stay away from OBDII motors, there's more smog related parts that makes the conversion a bit more problematic.... at least if you have to worry about smoging your rig.
Parts..
Fuel pump
Wiring harness
Computer (if you're switching from a auto trans to a manual or vise versa)
Bell housing and related clutch parts
Motor mounts
Radiator

Probably forgetting a couple of things... it's been awhile but this should be close.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
I also used a 92 CPI, great swap, wiring was pretty easy.  I would stay away from a carb, and go with EFI.  I would get an entire donor engine with harness and all smog parts.  If your in California, like me, then getting the smog parts is essential.

1986 4-Runner SAS 4.3 CPI/700R4/4.7 Toy Case, 4.88's with 36"s, and California Legal.

motoracer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
ok im a little dum when it comes to this engines, so whats a cbi and obdII ?  and im in tenneessee so smog is not a issue.
pie

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
ok im a little dum when it comes to this engines, so whats a cbi and obdII ?  and im in tenneessee so smog is not a issue.

cpi stands for central port injection. tbi is throttle body injection they are two types of fuel injection.

Colorado...its where the cool kids live

motoracer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
what was the last year they made a cpi engine
pie

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
the last year for cpi was1995 the one i have is a 95 wiring isn't that bad.
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »
I put a central manifold injected 4.3 into a 93. It ran tits, the central manifold injected motor is the later 4.3 chevy made. I think the one I used came out of a 97 blazer. The engine was naturally aspirated with bolt ons headers, throttle body spacer, cold air intake and computer remapping. I was able to get just under 200 hp to the ground with 37's and about 260 ft lbs of tq on hi grade pump gas. The truck was reliable enough to drive any where and it hauled ass. I ran a painless harness, they are easy to install and well built. In addition I would run a Tacoma rear end, the non TRD one has an 8.4 in ring gear, it's much stronger than the 8 in ring gear that come in the first second and third gen and I would run a manual tranny out of a turbo truck. If you take your time shopping you can probably get all the parts and pieces you need pretty cheap. If your the kind of guy that wants it all not then it's probably going to cost you. With the turbo tranny and the bigger rear end your truck should hold up pretty well, actually it would probably hold up well to a small block v-8. The nice thing about the 4.3 is it's a real torque motor, it's very low strung but can make some good power. The good thing about this is you can run the 4.10 ring and pinions. I was running 4.10's with 37's and the truck loved it. 4.10's are much stronger than 5.29's or 4.88's. I hope this info was helpful. If you have anymore questions please let me know.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

motoracer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
thanks  i got 5.29 gears and lockers front and rear and im putting a dual case in.what about the alt and power steering. i would like to keep the stock toyota alt and power steering. i got a 130 amp alt and im modifying my pump for a hydro assist. im taking my time just going to build it as i go . my 22r might last a long time . got all kinds of time to get my parts , and get the cheapest price i can. how much did it cost you to put the 4.3 in your 93.
pie

uhohhotdog151

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
hey thanks for all the info guys. im in the middle of doing a 4.3 swap now. only im doin a propane setup. so i have a whole new mess of problems   :greengrin:

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »
I'd run the chevy power steering pump and alternator. I would probably sell what I can from the yota, it would help to fund your build. You can get hi performance altenators all over the place for a chevy and the power steering pump pushes more fluid so it will actually make you steering and what not nice. You will just have to make an adaptor to go from the chevy pump to the Yota box, it's pretty simple actually. I think you would be happier this way. Good luck with your project.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
A 4.3 on propane, that sounds like a nice set up. My rock truck has a hybrid 20/22r on propane, it's such a nice set up. The truck will go any where and run at all angles. I love how simple the propane set ups are. Are you going to be running it on the street? Sounds sweet. Good luck to you to. If you have any questions about that please ask. It's a lot easier to set up than most people think.

uhohhotdog151

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »
A 4.3 on propane, that sounds like a nice set up. My rock truck has a hybrid 20/22r on propane, it's such a nice set up. The truck will go any where and run at all angles. I love how simple the propane set ups are. Are you going to be running it on the street? Sounds sweet. Good luck to you to. If you have any questions about that please ask. It's a lot easier to set up than most people think.

i think i have the propane setup under control for now........ but im sure ill have some when i get everthing installed and it runs like sh*t. i have a few questions about the turbo 350 trans, and the swap in general. so any info would be much appreciated.

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »
What do you want to know about the t350? Are you going to be running any kind of body lift?

motoracer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »
so a 4.3 power steering pump well be anuff to power my hyro assist . does it have a built in resivor or one thats located in the fender well
pie

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »
It will do more than a modded toyota pump. Are you running an after market pump? There are lots of after market pumps available that will bolt up to the 4.3 and if that doesn't work for you it wouldn't be to difficult to build a bracket that will accomidate what ever set up you are running.

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »
i did the 4.3 last year. the tbi works well and has been reliable.wiring was a cake walk. the hardest part was tucking the wires away for a clean installation. i used the gm power steering pump and a power master gm 1 wire alt.I also rebuilt the motor and balanced it,it has a comp cam and is a full roller motor because i was concerned about the 4.3 reputation for being a shaker. use a good radiator and an electric fan rated for 3200 cfm. advanced adaptors is a wealth of information and parts supplier.I also chipped mine and put a performer intake on it this was mostly to compensate for the elevation i live at.i've been happy with it i'll post a pix if interested.
it's not me, it's you

hitechredneck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:26:42 AM »
hey 66cobra can you post pics thanks

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
here are some pix
it's not me, it's you

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
so a 4.3 power steering pump well be anuff to power my hyro assist . does it have a built in resivor or one thats located in the fender well

It has the res. on the pump, and mine works fine with the Hydro assist.

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
tight exhaust pix
it's not me, it's you

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »
for the fuel pump i got the in tank gm pump and mounted it on the toyota stock in tank bracket and upsized the fuel line.there is an access plate under the rear seat so you dont need to drop the tank if you have a runner
it's not me, it's you

uhohhotdog151

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
What do you want to know about the t350? Are you going to be running any kind of body lift?

mostly i just need to know what manual valve body i should use. and any other mods i should do. i figured id have to run a small body lift. hopefully i can get away with less than a 2". what do you think?

Slobbermouth

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 221
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
66cobra,  Is that the aluminum AA radiator ?   I'm just about ready to do this swap just need the Radiator and I'm thinkin of going auto, although I already have a AA bellhsg and R150.  Why did you go auto and the 700R ?

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
that is the aa radiator it's a quality unit and easy to mount.i used rubber shock bushings and plastic washers to isolate it incase you want to know how i mounted it. I run a w56 trans. I personally hate automatics but understand the pros to running them , i have just replaced enough for 2 lifetimes and care not to start on the 3rd
it's not me, it's you

Slobbermouth

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 221
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
Looks SWEET  :yesnod: I already have the Howe harness computer and in line fuel pump. I might have to give AA a call on that radiator . Is it single 1" row ?  Is that the fan they sell also ?  Did you upgrade any of your ignition ?  Also did you have to do any mods to your clutch master ?

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
i dont remember how many rows i think its a 3 row, make sure you have the e-prom chip that goes in the computer if you have the howell unit that is an extra {lame} I went with standard ignition the gm units are very good i just bought some good plugs/wires. i do run a higher compression ratio than stock and run medium grade no problems. no mods needed on the clutch just went to napa for a new hard line.my exhaust is tight and out of the way.the fan is out of jegs pt#400-180 , i also have the vscm [speed controller] pt#400-31163 both are pricy but no overheating problems here and thats priceless
it's not me, it's you