Author Topic: JT's 88 4 Runner Build  (Read 23092 times)

jtaco1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 541
  • Male Posts: 176
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: JT's 88 4 Runner Build
« Reply #30 on: Jun 28, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »
this might have been answered and a dumb question what are the 2 short bars coming up on the rear bar behind the back seat?

They hold my Hi Lift jack in place, you can kind of see it in the one picture installed.

Looks good... When is the SAS going to happen?

Thanks, oncce I bend the IFS to the point it doesn't hold together anymore.  After this last trip the diff is no longer level and the idler arm took a few good direct hits to the boulders, so maybe sooner than later.  The axle is already built, just hoping to keep it at a similar height with the solid axle once it goes in.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, Elocker rear axle, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:26:59 AM »
Here are some quick pictures from our run at Rausch Creek on September 4, 2010.  Had a blast.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 01:31:55 PM by jtaco1 »
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, Elocker rear axle, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »
nice rig man :thumbs:

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »
Thanks, I'm getting close to having my FJ60 front axle built.  Frenched the passenger side spring pad into the housing to keep it low along with moving the front axle 2" forward, shaved drain plug, DOM truss, and welded on RuffStuff cover.  Coupled with the IFS hub bodies it should turn out to be a nice axle.

If I don't like it, I should have a set of tons sitting on the floor in the next week or two as well :D
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:30:23 AM »
nice rig

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »
Quick update on this build.  I have been working on building a FJ60/62 front axle to go in intsead of a mini truck axle.  I will be using IFS hub bodies to widen it out to about 61.5" to match the Tacoma rear axle.  Here is the axle with redone spring perches and truss along with the RuffStuff diff cover I will be using.

And just in case I don't like the Toyota axles, here are another set that I will be working on :D

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 15, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »
Sooo.........................

what happened?
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 16, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »
Been stupid busy with life :(  I haven't gotten to wheel since last September, but the good news in my daughter says she really wants to get out, so hopefully we will get out in the next few weeks.  I will be attending our big local event towards the end of July.  We recently build an addition to my "shop" so now I have more room to work.  Concrete is done and I have lights as of this morning.  Little bit more wiring and that will be ready for an engine/transmission swap and PS conversion I am doing on our FJ40.

I ended up getting rid of the 1 tons since they where too big and were going to cost me more money than I cared to spend to set them up the way I wanted, so I am staying with Toyota axles and 37's.  The FJ60/62 axle is nearly complete, I need to post up pictures as it turned out very nice.  I built it with ARP knuckle and hub studs, a set of FJ80 drive flanges, and set it up to run Tacoma brakes.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 29, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »
Alright, here are the pictures of the FJ60 axle pretty much complete, just need to install the Longfield HD Knuckle Wipers.

Here is the RuffStuff FJ40 diff cover that I welded on.  Stupid beefy 3/8" plate :)

Here is the frenched in passenger side spring perch.

IFS hub bodies with Tacoma rotors.  The V6 brake calipers will be mounted on the outside of the knuckle ears.  ARP knuckles studs used on the hy steer arms.

And finally, here are the FJ80 drive flanges installed with ARP hub studs.

Going to be redoing my front seat mounts this weekend so that they sit lower and give better clearance to the roll cage.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
Well thanks to RuffStuff having a sale on all parts including DOM, along with the Pirate 4x4 discount, I now have a complete steering setup enroute with 0.25" wall DOM tie rod and drag link, 3/4" heims, and accessories (bungs, jams, safety washers, and misalighnment spacers) coming my way for just a touch over $200 shipped. Didn't really need to buy it just yet, but couldn't pass up such a kickass deal. So once this comes in, I am 100% ready for the SAS if my IFS takes a crap at Takeover.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »
Quick update.  When I originally built my cage, I was in a hurry since EC4RJ was a day or two away, so I made some compromises with the rear section of the cage and tied it into the stock bar.  I never liked it so it is time to change it up.  Picked up some 1.75" DOM and I am now ready to start.  Last night I started with this.

Two hours later I ended the night with this.

Doesn't look like I did much, but I also have my cage foot plates installed and am ready to start the mockup.

Plan is to have a verticle C-Pillar behind the rear seats with a D-Pillar angles down at the back of the body.  To tie the two sides together, I may just go with a simple straight tube or go with a halo type tube with two kickers.  Bending will start this Sunday.

Fab Day 2

Got the tubing bent up in the morning.  Finished up the frame mounting plates and started to set the tubes in place.  Got the main structure tacked in as well.  One issue I am running into is that my original cage is made from .120" wall tubing, but the tube I am using for the new section is .125" wall so I can't use the same inner tube sleeve that I normally use, which would be 1.5" DOM. 

I have some 1.5" x .25" DOM left over from my steering linkage that I am going to have half turned down to fit in the 1.75" x .125" DOM that I am using.  Once I get them turned down, I can fully weld everything out.  I have about 7-8 more tubes to install, but this is how I left it at the end of the day yesterday.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
Man that a nice cage like the way it coming out good work :biggthumpup:

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
Thanks, I picked up my turned sleeves at lunch so I should be able to get everything welded out tonight if I get a chance to hit the shop.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
Short Fab Day 3

I got some 1.5" x 0.25" tubing turned down to fit as a slug between the two sections of tubing and installed them with plug welds.  Added a few more tubes, two of which took a decent amount of time to get just right.  Also notched and re-bent the original tube in the middle to intersect with the new horizontal bar of the C-pillar.  Three to five more tubes and it is done.  Here are the pictures.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »
Got some more done Sunday morning.  Where I placed my C-pillar on the inner fenders there was a bump that located the stock roll bar that made it a PITA to have a level area for a foot plate.  Little bit of work with the plasma and some plating and I had a flat area to work with.  I had Kris at After Midnight Fabrication locally cut me some nice foot plates.  Got those bolted in and bent up the C-pillar and welded it out.  Rolled it out of the shop to get a beter look at what I had - if the cage looks lopsided, don't worry it is not, I parked on a hill and suck at taking pictures :)

All that is left is to tie the rear portion of the cage into the frame, install a few gussets at the C-pillar like I have on the B-pillar, C-pillar and C-pillar to D-pillar braces, and a flip up storage/gear rack once some of the parts come in from RuffStuff.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
Have had a few moments to get some stuff done.  The cage is all welded out and bolted in.  Got the rear rack built and installed.  I put it on poly bushings at the one end so that I can lift the tailgate side up to access underneath for tools and straps.  The top has the HiLift and will be getting an Artec TrailCrate, CO2 Tank Mount, and cooler mount - all done, just not mounted yet.

Also started on cross-bracing the B-pillar.  Three more tubes under the harnes bar and that is done too.

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2013, 07:25:28 PM by jtaco1 »
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
Picked up a new roof section for the 4 Runner over lunch today. May be able to get a windshield back in this rig at some point. The roof section is mint with no rust what so ever, but I am going to have to redo my front overhead spreader bar since the roof section I picked up has a sunroof  :)
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:51:10 AM »
Worked on getting the roof section cut up for install, thank god I have a plasma cutter.  The passenger side is being a pain, but I should be able to get it mostly lined up.  It's not going to look like new when I am done, but it will work.  Downside is the sunroof latch hits the center overhead tube big time and maybe the B-pillar, so I have to figure out what I am going to do with those.  Probably could have gotten it welded up last night, but my plasma cutter decided it didn't want to play anymore :(  Closest service place is an hour away - hopefully I didn't blow the board, which I don't think I did since everything else functions correctly, just the pilot arc does not start.

Anyway here are pictures so far.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:21:14 AM »
sick build. runner looks great

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:01:52 AM »
Thanks toyotech.

This part of the project is done otherthan maybe putting a windshield in it, but I probably won't.  Once I get my plasma cutter back from repair I will finish off the B-pillar bracing.  The motor also needs a good tune up and timing chain replacment - who wants to help :)

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
Long time no post.

Over the summer I won a raffle for some TeraFlex products, but since they build Jeep parts, I thought I was out of luck untill I called them and was able to get 6 of their large flex joints.

That made up my mind to go with a front 3 link instead of the leaf spring front I had planned, so I sold some of those parts.  Local fabrication shop hooked me up with my link and panhard material - 2" x 0.25" for the lowers, 1.75" for the upper and 1.5" x 0.25" for the panhard.

3 Link brackets showed up today.  Guy on Pirate was getting rid of them at a great price and couldn't pass up.

Just need coil overs, limit straps, and bumpstops and will be good to go.

Also picked up my spare IFS power steering box from a buddy that tapped it for hydro assist.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2013, 05:08:21 AM by jtaco1 »
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

kdub0013

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 622
  • Member since Apr '11
  • no mommies wey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »
Nice job on the cage. I have a partial 4xinnovations setup and will be welding the cab top back on when its all buttoned up. I have much to to.

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »
Thanks, it isn't 100% how I want it, but will work for keeping the kid and I safe.  Been following your build - likeing the way it is turning out.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mar 25, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
This project is getting a bit closer to being ready to start.  Picked up a set of used 12" 2.0 Sway-A-Way Coilovers for a smoking price

Messing around with them quickly, they are in really good shape, shafts are clean and straight, no leaks, mounts have the mis-alignment spacers and the spherical bearing rotates nicely, reservoir hose is in good shape and the threads on the shock body are perfect.

Ordering up dual rate kits next and then springs.  Plan is to run 175# over 250# - should be pretty close.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Mar 26, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
hope to see more of the build.

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #55 on: Mar 26, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
sweet man, CO's and 3 link will be nice
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 27, 2013, 05:32:18 AM »
Thanks guys, really looking forward to the changes.  Dual rate kits should be here within the next few days.  Only thing holding me back is the FJ40 project I am working on.  Just about have that done.

For coilover springs, I was thinking about giving Summit Racing brand springs a try.  They are considerably cheaper than everything else ($150 to my door for what I need), and when I spoke with them, they wouldn't give me the exact manufacturer, but did say that they are manufactured by the higher end manufaturers.  They just buy a large quantity and get a better deal.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Apr 12, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
Had a minor set back with the coilovers.  They were advertised as 2.0's, so that is what I purchased dual rate kits and coils for, went to install everything and it wouldn't fit because the coilover body is bigger than the hardware.  Son of a pregnant dog, turns out I have 2.5 coilovers, I should have measured before ordering parts.

All the 2.0 parts have been sent back and are being refunded.  2.5 parts are enroute along with seal kits, wear bands, and shock oil.  One of my buddies is going to go over them, give them a rebuild along with verifying what valving they currently have and making the appropriate adjustments, and install the shaft mounted bumpstops I have for them.  Should be pretty much new once done.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Apr 24, 2013, 05:43:42 AM »
Picked up a set of triple rate kits off Pirate the other day.  May use them, may not, but couldn't pass them up for the price.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was

jtaco1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »
Had a few more parts come in such as the lower frame mounts for the lower links that I got from Barnes4wd along with some shock mount tabs.  These are his 10 degree mounts, which should work nicely.

Here is a picture of the shaft mounted bumpstops I picked up at the GM dealer for a Chevy Malibu

And finally a pair of 14" 250 pound lower springs from PAC Racing Springs that I found on Ebay for half price.  They are brand new.

Overall this project is on hold until I finish the FJ40 swap and wheeling season is over.  Addy and I got out last month and she made a list of things that she wants to do to teh truck to make it more user friendly to her and faster :)
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2013, 05:28:40 AM by jtaco1 »
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was