Author Topic: Any tricks of the trade for electrical connectors?  (Read 3512 times)

jpharper33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Any tricks of the trade for electrical connectors?
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
My DD is a 98 taco 4x4 with a 2.7L with 182k miles.  The alternator tested bad after the charge light was intermittent at first and now stays on continuously.  I've never changed an alternator, but I looked over the FSM and figured it was pretty straight forward.  I've wrenched a lot in my life: planes, helicopters, dirt bikes, etc, just never trucks until now but I feel like I have a general sense of mechanics.

Everything was going fine until it came time to remove the connector plug...... 2 hours later, here I sit.  It is still connected and I'm beyond frustrated.  From the best I can tell, it is the sort of plug that you have to squeeze both sides and pull straight out.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that... please.

So far I've used brake cleaner, carb cleaner, PB blaster (desperate) to loosen the crud around it. I've gripped the plug as hard as I feel like I can without snapping it off.  It's a tight space and my hands are all cut up.

Anyone know for sure what type of plug it is?

Any fancy tricks you could pass along would be great because I am just about to  :flamer: it. 

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
one of my yotas the connector had melted inside from bad connections... i had to cut it off (if you do this leave enough color to know which wire goes where in the connector) and go get a $30 connector from toyota...

can you get the alt off without taking the wiring off... may give you a bit more room... also, sometimes you can squeeze push and then pull and it will release anything that may have been holding it...

maybe a small screwdriver to pry it out of the alternator....  i know breaking stuff sucks but sometimes it has to happen
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

jpharper33 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
I've had the alternator unbolted. I flipped it all around to try and get a better angle with no luck.  I'm starting to doubt myself on the mechanics of the connector plug as to whether it should be compressed or pried open to loosen.   If I can't get it tomorrow with a set of long needle nose pliars I'll just cut it and leave enough room on the wires to match up the colors. 

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Do not get a replacement alternator from a auto parts store. Try and put new brushes in it first.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

jpharper33 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
4 days later.....

I've pulled and pried on this connector to the point that it is crumbling now.  It is still connecting but all of the plastic is gone. So I decided I'd get another connector before I cut the wires so I could wire it as I cut the wires.

Problem #2.
No one carries that connector in my area.  No junk yards have a tacoma around that same year that I could cut on.  Toyota dealership here said it is part of the engine hardness and I'd have to get the entire harness.  I'm at a loss.  I never thought such a simple job could snowball like this.

A few questions for you all:
1.  Is the dealership correct in saying that Toyota doesn't sell the part separate or are they trying to push me into buying a whole harness? They would not even give the part number for the connector.... grr.
2. Any other model toyotas that I could look for my next trip to the junk yard that may share the same connector?
3. Do any of YOU have one that you could cut and mail to me for 20 bucks?

Thanks again.  I really need my DD fixed. I've been driving my project truck all week, blew an axle seal and it's now 28 outside and the heat isn't working that great.  Much appreciated on any advise.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Does the alternator side have simple spade terminals you could fit a standard-sized spade terminal over?

If it does, I'd be tempted to do that.......

Or do that with about 6" of wire, fill up the connector on the alternator with RTV to wateproof, then have any connector you want on the end of the 6" of wire...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
well if the toyota guys you were talken to knew what they were doing, and you cant get the conn from yota then maybe a wrecking yard...  i would maybe do the whole wire it in and fill it with goo..... but this would suck if you would need to change the alt later on..

just a quick look online at other alternators.. seems that most yotas.. of the same year range have the same alt connectors... i checked corolla, and camry cars also and they look the same...

Tillamook, OR

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
maybe try these guys also

http://www.wranglernw.com

Tillamook, OR

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
take a picture of it.
toyota is great with using the same plug ins in trucks and cars.
Ill run by my local wrecker and see if I can grab a few up.
just cause I feel bad for you, lol
nah Ive been there done that

did u ever try to push it in further, them push in the clips? then pull?

jpharper33 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips.  yes I tried pushing, pulling, prying, praying.. just about everything.  I pulled 6 years in the Marines as an aviation electrician so I used all the tricks I know of.  I just find it hard to believe that Toyota doesn't sell this connector.  Thanks for the link bleakhorizon.  I'll call them Monday.  86 BT I'd love you forever if you found one.

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
picture??

jpharper33 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
http://picasaweb.google.com/jpharper33/TacomaConnector#

here are some shots.  let me know if you need another angle

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Im sure I can find you one tomorrow.

jpharper33 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Any luck?  I spent 3 hours in the Dr.'s office today so I'm just now checking back.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Just three wires there?  Cut them f*ckers!  and it almost looks like that plug is almost melted.  It's really hard to see, but that's what it looks like to me.

You might want to see if this guy has any! http://www.12voltguy.com/web/
He's a member here too!  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6234
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 06:30:50 PM by Cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
It may not help now, but you could also just yank the yota alternator, get a GM one wire, and be done with the whole "harness" thing all together. Did that on my 85, and the harness just sits there.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
 Just remember any wire you are splicing together should be soldered and then sealed in a piece of shrink tube that has hot glue on the inside.  Just remember to put one of the two wire connection thru the tube BEFORE you solder them...or you'll  feel like  :hammerhead:.. :yupyup:

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Just remember any wire you are splicing together should be soldered and then sealed in a piece of shrink tube that has hot glue on the inside.  Just remember to put one of the two wire connection thru the tube BEFORE you solder them...or you'll  feel like  :hammerhead:.. :yupyup:

I generally use solder, liquid tape, and then heat shrink.  It's a little overkill, but I'd rather do things once!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

PhantomD aka Zach

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 210
  • Member since Jun '09
  • Needs more garage space!
    • View Profile
save yourself the hassle in the future and FIX THE OIL LEAK!!! I guarantee thats what killed your current one...

I had one have a hard short and killed the 80 amp main fuse on the engine...

-Zach
3rd Gen Extra Cab, Dual Cases, E-Lockers

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
like this?

jpharper33 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Yes, that is the connector 86 bobbedtoy.  It should work by just prying the side tabs out and pressing down on the top while pulling on it, right?

I found someone on the forums here with a connector so I am waiting for it to arrive and then I'll start cutting. I've been driving the "project" truck for 2 weeks now and I'm ready to get my DD back on the road.

@ Zach  You are 100% correct. I had a power steering leak when I purchased the truck and replaced the banjo bolt and washers shortly afterwards.  The damage had already been done though and I wish now I would have knocked the guy down about 200 bucks or so b/c of the potential of the alternator being bad.

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
if so a 97 camry 4cyl alt plug will work