Author Topic: 1985 4runner, smoked the automatic trans, time to swap in a 5 speed  (Read 8617 times)

4wheelworks

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
hello everyone, i have a 1985 4runner, automatic finally gave up after years of hard wheeling, looking to swap in a 5 speed and transfer case. what is the best tranny/ tcase combo out of the toyota stables. i have a 1987 truck for parts with a good 5 speed.  besides the the trans/t case, i need a cross member, pedal cluster, slave cyl,  different starter,   also how does the auto trans interact with the computer/ EFI on this truck and will this cause any problems unplugging it .   any help would be great and any suggestions on what parts from what trucks would be great to.

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
The tranny from the 87 will work, just swap everything from it over to your 85 4Runner. You don`t need a diferent starter, there all the same. For the wiring all you need to do is unplug the transmission control and jumper the neutral safty switch plug just above the starter. You don`t need to do anything to the main computer or the EFI.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

mollegearhead

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Thanks myyota. I just did a 5speed swap on my runner and I've been caught up on the wiring issue. Does the check engine light stay on with the transmission control disconnected?

4wheelworks [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
does the 5 speed crossmember from the 1987 4runner bolt to the same holes as the 1985 automatic in this swap,   which driveshafts do i use? 

David D

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
The automatic cross member and the manual crossmember are the same.  The tcase mount is the only difference, and you can just swap them out.  This is a good time to upgrade to a heavy duty one.  You don't need a full set of pedals.  Just the clutch pedal it will bolt into your current mount, and then you can cut down the auto brake pedal to size.  You do need to get a master cylinder and drill the holes.  This is easiest to do with the dash out, but you can do it with in in and drill from the outside. At this point you can get a set of factory lines and use them, or most just get some braided stainless flex line and use that.  The only wiring you need is to just the nuetral safety switch to get it to run.  You can then wire up your reverse lights and 4wd indicator light if you want to.  The automatic drive shafts will also work, but I think the rear is a tad shorter than the 5spd one. 

Forfunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
I recently did this and yes the rear drive shaft is shorter on a automatic and longer on the 5sp.

-Gus :smokin:

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 275
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

However I was curious because I am looking to purchase a 4runner 22re auto, and I have a 5 speed that I could put into it. If i purchase a driveshaft from a manual truck will i be ok? Can I use the auto driveshaft?

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

However I was curious because I am looking to purchase a 4runner 22re auto, and I have a 5 speed that I could put into it. If i purchase a driveshaft from a manual truck will i be ok? Can I use the auto driveshaft?

Hey epantano,

I’m just curious about why want to convert the automatic to a 5-speed?

My 1986, 22RE, 4x4, Longbed was an automatic (A340F I think), and I really liked it, especially off-road and rock crawling.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
If you had an A340F I'd be amazed Garnly typically you'll find an A340H, which means you can't disconnect the transfer case unless you tear the transmission apart. As for the pervious poster, measure your drive line then go message the one from the manual. Or better yet measure the transmissions as well. It's hard to tell what you'll be getting since there are a multitude of Toyota 5 speeds out there.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
If you had an A340F I'd be amazed Garnly typically you'll find an A340H, which means you can't disconnect the transfer case unless you tear the transmission apart. As for the pervious poster, measure your drive line then go message the one from the manual. Or better yet measure the transmissions as well. It's hard to tell what you'll be getting since there are a multitude of Toyota 5 speeds out there.

Hey Mudder,

Yeah... H or F I'd have to look it up.  It was probably an H model?  It worked perfectly for 177,000 miles when I totaled the truck!...well actually a Chevy Blazer hit me head on, he was driving in my lane on a mountain road.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 275
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey epantano,

I’m just curious about why want to convert the automatic to a 5-speed?

My 1986, 22RE, 4x4, Longbed was an automatic (A340F I think), and I really liked it, especially off-road and rock crawling.

Gnarls.
I just have always had manuals. And I love driving them. Just a personal preference.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I just have always had manuals. And I love driving them. Just a personal preference.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes, manual trannies do have some advanages. The biggest disadvantage for me wheeling was climbing a hill, the automatic would not shift down when I wanted a lower gear.

Of, course, a clutch job is way cheaper than an automatic tranny rebuild.

With the Crawler boxes now, the manual trannies are great!

Gnarls.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile

Yes, manual trannies do have some advantages. The biggest disadvantage for me wheeling was climbing a hill, the automatic would not shift down when I wanted a lower gear.

Of, course, a clutch job is way cheaper than an automatic tranny rebuild.

With the Crawler boxes now, the manual trannies are great!

Gnarls.

That problem can be solved with a manual shift kit. The auto's aren't cheap but if you built one and put in an extra cooler and made it so it could accept a gear driven case you could outcrawl a manual tranny with just a single 4.7 instead of having duals.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
That problem can be solved with a manual shift kit. The auto's aren't cheap but if you built one and put in an extra cooler and made it so it could accept a gear driven case you could outcrawl a manual tranny with just a single 4.7 instead of having duals.

Back around the late 1980’s I did some research on what was available to modify my 1986 automatic trans.  I could not find anything available that allow me to manually “speed shift” between gears.  I also talked to a Toyota mechanic at a Toyota dealer.

Fast forward to today… there may be a “shift kit” available now that would solve my problem back in 1989.

My automatic had too much lag time between gears.  For example, on a trail, in 4-wheel low, while climbing a steep hill I would start in 1st gear, holding the shifter in 1st gear, then manually shifting into 2nd gear, then as I lost momentum, I would manually down shift back into 1st gear.  The tranny would NOT shift back into 1st gear until I was almost completely stopped… NO BUENO!!

So, the bottom line for me was simply that I did not have enough “control” when selecting gears.

On the positive side, I loved the way I could control crawling by loading the drive train by using my brake and throttle at the same time.  The crawl control was awesome.  On the sand dunes, mud, and snow, the automatic was great!

And, of course my daily driving was really nice not having to constantly clutch and shift in heavy traffic. I could always hold my cup of coffee in one hand while driving with other!  :D

Gnarls.