Author Topic: g58 strength or weekness  (Read 2579 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
g58 strength or weekness
« on: Nov 21, 2004, 10:42:24 PM »
With 340,000 plus miles on my hybrid it's possibly gonna need to be replaced at some point(no smoke yet though), and when that happens I wanna upgrade from the 4 spd I currently have to the g58 in my parts runner.  Does anybody have any idea how strong this tranny is, ie is it a good swapper or should I look for a w series.  I notice Marlin doesn't carry a heavy duty rebuild kit for it and was kinda curious why not.  I'm not sure if I wanna go through the hassle/cost of swithin the t-case to a gear driven one.  I'm also wondering if the first gear will be taller or as low or lower since it's a heavier rig.  And I'm also lookin for ideas on a crossmember to fit it to my '80.  At first I was just thinkin I'd make an adapter to mate it to my x-member, but if I have to do much fabrication I might as well just build a new one.  Lemme know all your idears on this stuff before I start throwin money away, cause it's tight right now,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: g58 strength or weekness
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2004, 10:55:29 PM »
i don't know much about the G58 tranny except you cant run a gear case behind it.  i think the best thing to do would be to get a W56 and a gear driven case, should be a bolt-in swap

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2004, 11:09:27 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm,  I think if it came down to that I'd just run the chainer till it busts then look for a stronger one.  I'm startin to think I shoulda just bought one of the parts trucks I've looked at and hack it up.........Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2004, 01:17:05 AM »
W-series is stronger than G-series. R-series is ideal but it's 1/2" longer and requires a special transfercase input gear.

Here's the break-down on Toy 4WD trans:

Weakest          L-series
2nd weakest    G-series
good              W-series
damn good      R-series

Kyle is right about your transfercase. You have a chain drive t/case right now. I guess the eaisest way to replace it is to find a G52 or G54 and put your G58 tailhousing and output shaft into the G52/54 trans so you can use your chain drive tcase. Otherwise, if you dont mind upgrading to a gear drive transfercase, then use a 1989-1995 style W56 that uses a forward shifting transfercase that should match the same shifter holes in your cab.

BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2004, 06:44:04 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2004, 01:24:55 PM »
also, if you get the late W56 you'd have to get either a matching case or swap the shift rods from a late model case.  both the G and W series were available in forward shift versions, but the G series rods are too long to fit in the late W56

and you say you have a 4 speed currently?  remember, the 4 speeds and early 5 speeds(L43, L45, L50, L52) are shorter than the late 5 speeds like the W and G series by about 4", so you'll have to have your drivelines modified and possibly relocate your crossmember

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2004, 06:44:33 PM »
Kyle, thanks for pointing the shift rod length difference, I forgot to mention that :hammerhead:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »
So, sell the g58 and keep using my 4spd till it breaks you say?  Good, cause it shifts very smooth for what it is.  Guess I'll hafta keep my eyes peeled for another parts truck or one in the local wreckers.  As far as the crossmember, I figured I'd hafta make my own anyway causa the big difference in length, but was gonna wait till I had em both on the shop floor and do some measuring.  Thanks for the help, and to the lurkers keep the input coming,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2004, 10:01:07 PM »
What about this though,  I'll be runnin a mild hybrid and 33s or 35s and a limited slip in the back.  Now how does it look for this tranny?  I don't wheel hard, just use my truck mostly as a daily driver and for hunting.  The only reason I even want a 5spd is for the freeway, 3600rpm probably isn't that great for fuel mileage.  I'd use a w or r series if I could find one, but people latch onto them pretty quickly so that's probably out.  I know the g isn't the best, but hafta wonder if everybody is just so used to overbuilding their trucks that they poo poo the idea of using something what might be ok for most.  Could just be wishful thinking on my part too,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:36:48 PM »
G series ain't that bad at all...in fact, the L52-HD uses G54 guts.  my L43 has held up to a lot of abuse by me, but i figure it's a ticking time bomb.  however i've had friends who have had them outlast W series transmissions...so i guess you just never know :dunno: