Author Topic: Truck WONT start!  (Read 2236 times)

Gibson

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Nov '09
  • GIT SOME!!!
    • View Profile
Truck WONT start!
« on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
 :maddest: so my runner is givin me hell and i was hopin u guys could help me with it. i go to start it  and nothin happens no like try to turn over no click nothin. :tantrum: but if i leave the key on acc my stereo plays so i know i have power that is not the issue. also have a brand new alternator on it. only thing i can thing of is maybe a fuse to me starter???? it did this to me a couple weeks ago and we push started it  and then no probs from there and now it came back three weeks later :headscratch: some help please!!
BATTLE BORN CUSTOMS
"Hold my beer watch this! this sh*t is gonna be cool!!"

Tyler82toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Re: Truck WONT start!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
you might want to check and make sure you are getting a signal to the starter from the key, from that little wire next to the battery cable

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
You might need someone to bang on the starter while you try cranking it over..

Its pretty common, well that ive experienced, not sure if thats your problem, might be worth a try.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
You might need someone to bang on the starter while you try cranking it over..

Its pretty common, well that ive experienced, not sure if thats your problem, might be worth a try.

I had one of those didn't need a helper though, a couple whacks and it would start. If it is that a new starter will cure it. Also could be the ignition switch as others have suggested too. Its a common issue as the switch gets older. The typical fix would be to add a relay into the ignition switch from the battery using the switch wire as a trigger/switch for the relay.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
The other thing to check is the clutch switch/relay.   A few times a year mine just refuses to start until I hit the clutch override switch.  Usually it should grind or click or something. 

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:53:25 PM »
If it is that a new starter will cure it.

I'd strongly suggest not just replacing the starter, even if it's the problem.  If he's lucky enough to have a denso starter, it's cheap and easy to fix, and you don't end up with some craptastic replacement or rebuild.  It's not uncommon for the plungers to get gummed up and stick, the ring on the plunger to get too thin or beat down, or most commonly the contacts, all of which are an easy fix and the parts are available from toyota.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

deadicatedweim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
Try banging on the starter first.  Then try jump starting it with another car or a battery charger.  Some times if your not getting enough power the starter wont turn over but your radio will still play.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
Werd, only takes about 8 volts to power a radio.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »
How's the condition of your battery cables?
Have you checked all the main fuses? 
Fusible links?
Ground wires?
A FSM has really good flow charts.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

4x4Haze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 337
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
I'd strongly suggest not just replacing the starter, even if it's the problem.  If he's lucky enough to have a denso starter, it's cheap and easy to fix, and you don't end up with some craptastic replacement or rebuild.  It's not uncommon for the plungers to get gummed up and stick, the ring on the plunger to get too thin or beat down, or most commonly the contacts, all of which are an easy fix and the parts are available from toyota.

i had tons of starter problems so i took the starter apart and shaved down the contacts a little and havent had a problem since
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."

jessefoutz

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
I would start with the switch on the clutch, cause usually if its the starter it clicks or makes some kind of noise.