Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 5636 times)

rvazquez

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Vibration
« on: Nov 15, 2004, 10:43:10 AM »
My truck has some very strange vibrations coming from the rear portion of the drivetrain, but pinion angle is good. The first thing I did was have my rear driveshaft balanced and apparently it was bent .035". With that fixed, my vibration was lessened. Then I changed the 3rd member because it was making a lot of noise and the flange was loose.  The vibration is better, but different.  Now it get a thumping a certain speeds.  Accelerating from 40-45 in 4th creates the vibration as does accerlerating in 5th up to about 65.  Once at 70 or above, the truck is loud, but relatively smooth.  Decelerating in 5th gear makes the vibration the worst.
I think it may be my transfer case output flange is loose. Could this be my problem, and can I just torque it down.
This is on a 85 swb truck
Thanks for any help,
Ryan

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Vibration
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2004, 10:58:15 AM »
Is your rear driveline using a CV joint?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

rvazquez [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2004, 11:11:34 AM »
No, its a standard u joint.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2004, 11:21:34 AM »
Do you have dual cases?
What's your suspension lift?

rvazquez [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2004, 11:35:38 AM »
Its all stock except for chevy leafs in the rear, they are set up for low lift but i dont know how high it is above factory because the original rear springs had two huge add a leafs when I bought. Also, the rear driveshaft was out of phase when I bought it.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2004, 02:18:35 PM »
Man when I built my Crawler, I was fortunate to find a temporary driveline that fit so I could drive back home that night.

I got a horrible vibration and terrible gear chatter noise between accel and coast. I thought "Man tripple cases are freak'n loud as hell!" it was actually embarrassing because it made so much noise.

Then I got some new drivelines and zero vibration now and zero noise now. Now I can actually listen to the gears spinning. Its so quiet.

If you have some friends with similar wheelbases, you might want to swamp in a different line and see if that helps out. Even that you got it balanced, the u-joints on my line that I was using were wasted to hell and it was really bad.....

rvazquez [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2004, 04:11:50 PM »
The u-joints are good, the guys that balanced it replaced one and said the other was good, and unfotunately I dont know anyone with a similar truck

DontStall Rockcrwl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:00:29 AM »
i have the same problem since i now put in my dual cases. same noise you are mentioning. im going to get my rear driveine balanced, and eventually install a cv in rear. hopefully it solves the problem. your next thing to do, is replace your output shaft bearing and make sure all the flanges are tight.. and see what happens. good luck
You have all gotta be jealous how close i live to the 'Con

Bolt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '04
  • www.KeystoneKrawlers.com Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:43:05 AM »
Bin there done that. I went thru the whole gamit of thing trying to find this vibration. It's hard to believe but your driveshaft angle is running right around 2 degrees or more differance at the front of the drive shaft than the rear at the pinion. If you can just drop your crossmember for the transmistion/transfercase 1 inch. Use spacers or washers and long bolts. Take it for a drive I'd bet your vibration is gone. You are probaly running a 3 3/4 or 4 in suspention lift. Yes your pinion angle will look good but it needs to point down more. My vibration is gone and I have a differance of 1 3/4 degrees from the front of my drive shaft to the rear. I won't get into all the physics of why. Good luck. This problem is more comon than you think.
Just Get out there!

DontStall Rockcrwl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2004, 11:06:59 AM »
i never thought about having the same angles of my front driveline as in the rear. gonna check that when i get home.  :smack

rvazquez [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2004, 01:06:15 PM »
I think it has to do with my transfer case because ive checked my driveshaft and the flanges are parallel
Thanks for the help

Bolt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:29:32 AM »
I think it has to do with my transfer case because ive checked my driveshaft and the flanges are parallel
Thanks for the help

I PMed you with my phone number. Call me and I'll explain it.
Just Get out there!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:08:05 AM »
I subscribe to what Bolt said about lowering the crossmember and trying to improve the pinion angle, but I think you were mislead about the front and rear shafts having to be within a certain percentage of each other.

He's getting this vibration in 2WD so it doesnt apply, and my rear drive line angle is TERRIABLE and my front driveline (which is longer than my rear) is very nice.

I got bad vibration until I installed a CV joint on my rear line.

Whatever the problem is, I hope you can figure it out soon!

:beer:

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:40:55 AM »
the piont of lifting your truck is for clearance for tires and obstacles lowering the t case with spacers seems like an alright temp but what happens when you hang that f#%er on a big ass rock and bend the bolts or rip it off?  :usa:   :turtle:   :twocents:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

DontStall Rockcrwl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:22:11 PM »
the piont of lifting your truck is for clearance for tires and obstacles lowering the t case with spacers seems like an alright temp but what happens when you hang that f#%er on a big ass rock and bend the bolts or rip it off?  :usa:   :turtle:   :twocents:

haha yeah good point man. thats why i say just run the cv in rear if the vibration bugs you that much. before you spend all that money though, double check and tripple check make sure all bearings/seals are good. a while back i got a vibration from when my rear driveline blew out pogo sticking my truck in the air, bending my output shaft from my t-case.   :shake:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:28:33 PM »
ouch :brick:

Bolt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:31:35 AM »
I subscribe to what Bolt said about lowering the crossmember and trying to improve the pinion angle, but I think you were mislead about the front and rear shafts having to be within a certain percentage of each other.

He's getting this vibration in 2WD so it doesnt apply, and my rear drive line angle is TERRIABLE and my front driveline (which is longer than my rear) is very nice.

I got bad vibration until I installed a CV joint on my rear line.

Whatever the problem is, I hope you can figure it out soon!

:beer:

Ok maybe I assumed something here. First, forget about the front driveshaft. Let's think about the rear drive shaft only for a minute. What you need to do is put a bubble type protractor on the pinion and zero it out. Then put the protractor on the driveshaft when it is hooked up. That angle will be around 7 degrees. This means you have a 7-degree bend in your rear universal joint. NOW measure the driveshaft angle at the transfer case. Do the same. zero out the protractor on the transfer output shaft to the rear axel then put the protractor on the driveshaft. Measure that angle. That angle will be right around 9 1/2 degrees. That is the working angle of your front universal joint. Now you must step back and look at the difference on the two working universal joints. The rear was at 7 degrees and the front is at 9 1/2 degrees. That is a difference of 2 1/2 degrees. You goal is to be less than 2 degrees. This is very critical. At 2 1/2 degrees you will get a noise, which sounds just like your rear gears are going out or you may think your output shaft bearing of the transfer case is bad. Not the case. It is simply the u-joint angles. You must either tilt the rear or drop the transfer case. The other way you can correct the problem is just like shoe people in here did and put a CV joint at the transfer case. This will cut your front universal joint angle in 1/2. This will also remove this noise. The closer to zero difference the better your universals will work together.

Dropping the transfercase was just for a test to see if the vibration disapears. It is a quick cheep fix. If it works then you know you have drive shaft problems.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2004, 04:44:42 AM by Bolt »
Just Get out there!

mcfly

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2004, 12:46:12 PM »
Did anybody ever think that maybe it could be that his tires are badly worn or out of balance.  That will cause awefull vibrations as well.  What kind of tire are you running and what size?

Diggertoy

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »
I've got a terrible vibration as well... It all started when years after my 4" procomp lift ( IFS ) , I broke my rear springs, then bought some 1.5" new ones from NWOR, coupled with having to crank my swayaway torsions 1.5", gives me around 5.5" of Lift........well it took about 6 months to show up, but that angle on the rear drive shaft, was obviously too much.....it backed the T-case output shaft nut off, to where it obviously had a real bad vibration.....I looked underneath the truck , to see if I needed to perhaps change the front ujoint of the rear shaft, I found I could move my ujoint and driveline about 3 inches up and down ( probably not a good thing ) , anyway, not being a mechanic, I took it to a driveline shop that works on Semi Trucks, and they custom built a Slip yoke drive shaft, with two cv's on the t-case side to split the angle .......unfortuanately, the vibration is still there, usually above 50mph, while on the gas pedal , deaccelerating it goes away. So now getting underneath and feeling the driveshaft and the rear T-case flange, it moves very slightly, but I suspect it's probably the vibration problem. I had the driveline shop assure me that they balanced their shaft on a lathe at high speed, so I figure it must be the output shaft bearing thats bad, Plus it leaks T-case oil, there, too.

So I'm thinking , I could go to Fresno, ( I'm the SF Bay Area ) , buy Marlin's single case 4.70 and have them install it ! .......hopefully that takes care of the problem !!! I know you mechanic guys would probably rebuild it, but again I'm no mechanic, and since in the 5 years I've owned the truck , I have done many mods, or had them done, including the gears and the tranny, that now the T-case is the " Weakest Link ".....

anyway, what are your thoughts ?

Thanks

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 03:06:53 PM »