Author Topic: Happy 234th birthday  (Read 1266 times)

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
Happy 234th birthday
« on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »
Going out to all the Teufelhundens young and old happy 234 bday  :usa:
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Happy 234th birthday
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
Today isnt the Marine Corps Birthday but thanks for the future

http://www.marines.com/main/index/winning_battles/history/missions/founding_of_the_marine_co

Ask any Marine.  Just ask.  He will tell you that the Marine Corps was born in Tun Tavern on 10 November 1775.  But, beyond that the Marine's recollection for detail will probably get fuzzy.  So, here is the straight scoop:

In the year 1685, Samuel Carpenter built a huge "brew house" in Philadelphia.  He located this tavern on the waterfront at the corner of Water Street and Tun Alley.  The old English word tun means a cask, barrel, or keg of beer.  So, with his new beer tavern on Tun Alley, Carpenter elected to christen the new waterfront brewery with a logical name, Tun Tavern.

Tun Tavern quickly gained a reputation for serving fine beer.  Beginning 47 years later in 1732, the first meetings of the St. John's No. 1 Lodge of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Temple were held in the tavern.  An American of note, Benjamin Franklin, was its third Grand Master.  Even today the Masonic Temple of Philadelphia recognizes Tun Tavern as the birthplace of Masonic teachings in America.

Roughly ten years later in the early 1740s, the new proprietor expanded Tun Tavern and gave the addition a new name, "Peggy Mullan's Red Hot Beef Steak Club at Tun Tavern."  The new restaurant became a smashing commercial success and was patronized by notable Americans.  In 1747 the St. Andrews Society, a charitable group dedicated to assisting poor immigrants from Scotland, was founded in the tavern.

Nine years later, then Col. Benjamin Franklin organized the Pennsylvania Militia.  He used Tun Tavern as a gathering place to recruit a regiment of soldiers to go into battle against the Indian uprisings that were plaguing the American colonies.  George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Continental Congress later met in Tun Tavern as the American colonies prepared for independence from the English Crown.

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress commissioned Samuel Nicholas to raise two Battalions of Marines.  That very day, Nicholas set up shop in Tun Tavern.  He appointed Robert Mullan, then the proprietor of the tavern, to the job of chief Marine Recruiter -- serving, of course, from his place of business at Tun Tavern.  Prospective recruits flocked to the tavern, lured by (1) cold beer and (2) the opportunity to serve in the new Corps of Marines.  So, yes, the U.S. Marine Corps was indeed born in Tun Tavern.  Needless to say, both the Marine Corps and the tavern thrived during this new relationship.

Tun Tavern still lives today.  And, Tun Tavern beer is still readily available throughout the Philadelphia area.  Further, through magazines it is advertised to Marines throughout the world.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009, 08:49:56 PM by ** YELLER ** »
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
:usa:   Pennsylvania Militia.    thats awsome!  :thumbs:
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »
Yeah I guess while we're wishing it early, happy birthday Leathernecks!  I need to remember to call my old man on Tuesday.

Misfit4Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
Lol yeah I know it's the 10th but I couldn't let anyone get one up on me so I posted early. Besides who doesn't like to celebrate early?

Besides my family goes waaaaay back from WWI WWII island hoping and Europe campains, sevral Vietnam to include 6 enemy marksmanship awards OIF 1-2-5-7 and now my little brother gets to stand on the prints shortly I had alot of celebrating to do my balls not till Friday though 
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »
early--> :brick: <---info

thanks for the heads up and info.  :usa: 
happy bday :beerchug: and mahalo
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
We went to a parade today, (Veterans Day) was pretty cool. Some tanks, even a WWII halftrack. Started with an F-16 fly over, he stalled it nose up and then hit it straight up. Then during the parade a squadron of P-51's came through, then some Coast Guard helicopters in formation. Being close to 29 Palms Marine Corps Base they were well represented.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
YUT!!

"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."