Author Topic: just bought 87 4runner have questions on a few things.  (Read 1622 times)

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
just bought 87 4runner have questions on a few things.
« on: Oct 24, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »
Hi i just bought a 1987 4runner with 22re and 5spd tranny.
problems are
it sputters when im driving at light throttle, but if i get on it or let off completely it runs just fine, previous owner said it is the distributor but im not sure.

the tach bounces all over the place most of the time but every once in awhile it seems just fine.

the oil pressure gauge does not work at all

the gas guage changes drastically when turning corners

the hood keeps popping up when im driving is there something i need to adjust to stop this? or do i need a new latch?

thats all i know about for now, i just bought it tonight and drove home 2 hours.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Do some dry runs with the hood open to see if it's actually latching, and if not see if it's just sticking.  Does it sound like it latches when you close it?

Since the tach bounces and it cuts out, I'm going to go with it having and electrical problem.  Check your coil wires and everything ignition related, as well as checking your grounds. 

Are you sure the wire is hooked up to the oil pressure sending unit? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
well for some reason the hood hasnt poped up since the first day, so im not too worried about it.

yeah i thin it does have some kind of electrical problem, im gonna have my uncle look at it on saturday, hes a retired toyota mechanic.

haha ya i should prolly check to see if that is hooked up, been busy cleaning it so i havnt really looked at its problems much.

so the rear shocks were shot so i replaced them with some stock length moroes from my old truck, rides much better. also when i was under there, i noticed that the driveshaft bolts were all comepletely lose so i tightened them up, whoever worked on it last had put the lock washers on the wrong side of the bolt.

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
so  i just figured out one of my problems, when im stopped with my foot on the brakes the idle surges, i was reading on the pirate bible that the reason this is, is because my idle is set too high. im completely new to fuel injection. so how do i adjust my idle?

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
back to my most annoying problem, the sputtering i get at light throttle, which happens at any speed any gear and any rpm above 2k.
ok so ive been reading on yotatech and it sounds like it may be my EGR or my TPS.

anyone else have an opinion about this?

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
EGR is more likely to cause idle issues, TPS can be any RPM.

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
so  i just figured out one of my problems, when im stopped with my foot on the brakes the idle surges, i was reading on the pirate bible that the reason this is, is because my idle is set too high. im completely new to fuel injection. so how do i adjust my idle?
There is a flapper valve in the air box/airflow meter , take it off and clean it out, That fixed mine
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
thanks. ill try that first before i mess with the idle.