Author Topic: drip drip - Tcase has the drips from rear flange  (Read 1527 times)

skrape

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
drip drip - Tcase has the drips from rear flange
« on: Oct 12, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
My '86 4Runner leaks from the rear transfer case seal.  The oil drips off the tcase flange dust seal, not out around the driveshaft or the 'face' of the flange, so I don't think it's leaking around the splines - although I did not use any sealant on the splines.  The tcase flange doesn't have a wear groove under the seal.  I've read the other TCase leak threads and they don't seem to address what I'm seeing.

I installed a new seal from Napa, and don't think I destroyed it putting it in, and that didn't affect the leak at all!  I guess I can replace the Napa seal with Marlin's super-seal, but would like to understand what's wrong before redoing that work.

The leak is weird - it drips slowly, but constantly, even if the truck hasn't moved for a couple hours.  Tcase isn't overfilled - oil level is below the fill plug, it's like something is wicking oil up and past the seal.  Does my tcase have the clap?  Anybody got any insight into Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is wrong?  :ack:

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
mine did the same thing and when i removed the old seal it seemed fine. I replaced it with marlins seal but i havn,t got all back together yet ill post as soon as i do

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I had the same problem with a new toyota seal. I got the HD MC seal and it stoped the leak.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
did u have to beat the snot out of it to get it in?

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
there pretty tight. :beer:
i love oregon wheelin.

skrape [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Didn't have to beat it much to go in, couple of taps with a wood block and small hammer and it seated.  No dents or crimps, didn't get jammed sideways or anything (I've made all those mistakes in the past, but opted not to this time  :greengrin:)  And, I lubed the seal with a touch of oil before putting the flange back in. 

Sounds like there's no 'known gotcha' that I missed, just a poorly-fitting seal or maybe I did munge it on installation. 

Well, we've got good weather coming for the weekend, maybe I can get a Marlin seal overnighted or something (Dang why didn't I order one a couple of days ago @#$%  :hammer: )

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
the 1 and only upside to iving in fresno